Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 14:28   #1
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN Version 3.0.2 Release

ANNOUNCEMENT:

OpenCPN Version 3.0.2 is released, and available for immediate download.
This Service Release corrects several small bugs found in the recent 3.0.0 field release.
It incorporates no new features.

OpenCPN is a free and OpenSource navigation package running on Windows, linux, and Macintosh computers.
OpenCPN may be freely downloaded and installed without cost, registration, or time limits.

We hope you enjoy OpenCPN Version 3.0.2, and look forward to your continued feedback.

Download OpenCPN Version 3.0.2 at
OpenCPN | Free Science & Engineering software downloads at SourceForge.net

For PlugIns and other useful information, visit our support website at
OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

The OpenCPN Development Team
Dave Register, Lead Developer
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 16:34   #2

Re: OpenCPN Version 3.0.2 Release

Things sems OK it pick up the S57 no problems.
Thanks for the good work.
Bye.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 18:29   #3

Boat: Sailboat

Positions on polyconic chart NOAA-14500 (Great Lakes) are not plotted correctly. Depending on how I pan, my track is sometimes above or below the proper position on the chart, by something like 5 miles. See screenshots....

Also see this post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post983962 for more screenshots and the track-gpx

Dirk

Edit: Windoze XP, O 3.0.2, no opengl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polyconic-14500c.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	43162   Click image for larger version

Name:	polyconic-14500d.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	43163  

LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 18:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Dirk...

Sounds like a new Flyspray bug. I'll look for it.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:11   #5

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Dirk...

Sounds like a new Flyspray bug. I'll look for it.

Dave
Link to flyspray entry:

flyspray ID 844

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:16   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Link to flyspray entry:

flyspray ID 844

Dirk
Dirk & Dave

The 14500.kap has clearly converging meridians and curved latitude parallels.
Panning around it is obvious that O only displays the correct lat/long in the middle of the view.
Compare the lat/long overlay grid to the printed grid.
I have seen similar problems with polar-region tmercs in small scale (the NGA project).
There seems to be a minimum scale for O, to accurately display polyconics and tmercs.
That is normally not a problem as these charts are generally of quite large scale.
14500 has a scale of 1:1.500.000 , the only polyconic noaa chart of such a small scale.
It is clearly an overview- and planning- chart.
CM93 solves the problem by re-projecting 14500 to a merc, and so does PolaNavy.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 23:57   #7

I have two version of Opencpn on my Windows 7 laptop (v3.0.0.0 and v2.3.1). During the install of v.3.0.2 it recognizes there a other versions installed, however it only shows the option of a parallel installation. No other option are shown.

The text in the screen tells me that there are more installations found, which is correct. It also asks me to select what I want to do. The parallel installation option is selected and no other options are shown or selectable.

Is this a text issue or are the options not shown that should be shown?

George
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 02:10   #8

Thumbs up Re: OpenCPN Version 3.0.2 Release

Works on mine macbook without any trouble, kap, enc and cm93 with only one minor remark when OpenGL enabled the gps window right upper corner is disapearing and loss of performance.

I use OpenCPN with OpenGL disabled, this works for me

great work
sv Aurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 23:38   #9

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Aurelia View Post
... when OpenGL enabled the gps window right upper corner is disapearing and loss of performance.
Bad luck I am afraid. We have issues here and there with other non-OpenGL windows on top of the OpenGL canvas. It is not really a supported thing to do but we get away with it most of the time. The thing is fixing it it looks like it is going to require reimplementing all windows that go on top of the canvas (rollovers, compass window, theoretically even the toolbar )
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 00:55   #10

Boat: Amel Sharki

JesperWe,

furthermore the OpenGL implementation in OCPN is not compliant to wxWidgets 2.9. From the wxWidgets docs:

"Notice that versions of wxWidgets previous to 2.9 used to implicitly create a wxGLContext inside wxGLCanvas itself. This is still supported in the current version but is deprecated now and will be removed in the future, please update your code to create the rendering contexts explicitly."

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 07:20   #11

Wanted to upgrade 2.4.324 to 3.0.2 and the very first message is "Your Windows version is not supported (it's too old)! You need at least Windows XP SP3.". Hmm, I have XP with SP3 no problem, maybe installation is looking at the wrong place like C: drive which in my case is not a Windows system drive. Thanks for response.
Victor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 07:31   #12

Boat: Phantom 19

Victor12...
Hard to say why your system version is not recognized. Could you post a screenshot of the window that is shown when you right-click the My Computer icon and select properties?
you can try to install manually - go to Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details and download the MSVC 2010 redistributable. If you manage to install it successfully, let me know and I will upload a zipped 3.0.2 somewhere.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 19:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Victor12...
Hard to say why your system version is not recognized. Could you post a screenshot of the window that is shown when you right-click the My Computer icon and select properties?
you can try to install manually - go to Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details and download the MSVC 2010 redistributable. If you manage to install it successfully, let me know and I will upload a zipped 3.0.2 somewhere.

Pavel
Pavel,
I have thought a lot about and in view of many sailors that use older XP with SP1, SP2 it makes decision to switch to 3.0.2 kind of too early despite problems reported so far. So, I will upgrade to older 2.5 on my main machine that already I have on my Laptop on the boat and will wait how the things develop. It looks like situation of life or death. Many thanks for help. Cheers, Victor
Victor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 23:46   #14

Boat: Phantom 19

Victor...
Using a 10 years old unsupported operating system without updates from the last 5 or more years is the thing that I would personally consider dangerous.
The choice is yours, of course. But we would still really like to see that screenshot to see if there's something we should try to fix or not...

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 03:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Victor...
Using a 10 years old unsupported operating system without updates from the last 5 or more years is the thing that I would personally consider dangerous.

Pavel
Hard to see why is dangerous, or at least more dangerous to navigation than not using opencpn because is not supported. If you mean labile to viruses, all windows releases are, even the latest ones that just uploaded the latest antivurus. Windows 8 running java 7 in a browser (not so with java 6) is lethal today.

I use XP in my office to test software compatibility and it never did anything I would call dangerous to me. It's off the net, as it would be (or should be) on a boat. I think any system (linux, mac or windows) performing a critical function should be isolated from the net.

dpons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn