Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 19:48   #91
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1723

Greg...

Lets take a look at:

build_carbon/plugins/dashboard_pi/cmake_install.cmake

Mine looks like this: (sorry for the screen shot, nfs seems to have died...)

Anyway, I see some install commands for the dylib.

Do you?

If your file differs radically from mine, maybe try to delete build_carbon/plugins and do the cmake again...

No sense trying the install step if this cmake_install.cmake is not right.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmake1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	41712  
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 20:26   #92

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Dave-

That part of my file is exactly the same as yours, except that yours refers to /dsr/Projects/opencpn and mine is in greg/opencpn.

Quote:
IF(NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT OR "${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}" STREQUAL "Unspecified")
list(APPEND CPACK_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES
"/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib")
FILE(INSTALL DESTINATION "/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns" TYPE SHARED_LIBRARY FILES "/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/plugins/dashboard_pi/libdashboard_pi.dylib")
IF(EXISTS "$ENV{DESTDIR}/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib" AND
NOT IS_SYMLINK "$ENV{DESTDIR}/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib")
EXECUTE_PROCESS(COMMAND "/usr/bin/install_name_tool"
-id "libdashboard_pi.dylib"
"$ENV{DESTDIR}/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib")
IF(CMAKE_INSTALL_DO_STRIP)
EXECUTE_PROCESS(COMMAND "/usr/bin/strip" "$ENV{DESTDIR}/Users/greg/opencpn/build_carbon/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib")
ENDIF(CMAKE_INSTALL_DO_STRIP)
ENDIF()
ENDIF(NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT OR "${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}" STREQUAL "Unspecified")
Next idea?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 20:48   #93
Marine Service Provider

Greg...

OK, I put some diagnostice message code in the cmake_install.cmake.

I found that the subdir INSTALL step for plugins runs AFTER the fixup_bundle step. Why it does that is a mystery, and there is lots of google-juice on the topic....But that's not our problem.

The problem in your present case seems clear: the fixup_bundle step is failing, and so the build just stops before the plugin INSTALL step runs.

From your log, the INSTALL is failing due to the libX11 prerequisites not being found. Does this ring any bells?

Dave
Old 31-05-2012, 20:58   #94

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Freddie/Greg...

I looked into this missing PlugIns a little more.

The problem is not in fixup_bundle. That seems to do the right thing. Bear with me a sec...

What actually installs the PlugIns is in their own CMakeLists.txt file, which are included as subdirectories to the main build.

For instance, in plugins/dashboard_pi/CMakeLists.txt, we see:

Code:
IF(APPLE)
      INSTALL(TARGETS ${PACKAGE_NAME} BUNDLE LIBRARY DESTINATION ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns)
ENDIF(APPLE)
And so the PlugIn gets installed during the INSTALL step.

On my system, the fixup_bundle step does not copy the PlugIn dylib again, since it seems to know that one copy is enough.

Code:
1/24: *NOT* copying '/Users/dsr/tmp/bin/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib'
In fact, we can safely drop the following from the main CMakeLists.txt

Code:
Line:1065
 SET(LIBS "\${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libdashboard_pi.dylib")
  SET(LIBS 
      ${LIBS} "\${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/libgrib_pi.dylib")
since there really is nothing that fixup_bundle needs to do with these dylibs anyway.

So, the question is, "Why is your system not executing the INSTALL step from the PlugIn source directory?"

I think I lost it, but could we see the relevant part of your
Code:
$make install
step?

Thanks
Dave
Dave:
With your latest info, I think I have found the problem.
On my build the script builds two different OpenCPN app bundles. One in the directory called "CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR", which by the way DOES have the missing PlugIns installed in the app bundle, but is missing the .lprog files except english and the dylibs required for the app to run standalone (From WxWidgets, there are 8 dylibs).

The other OpenCPN app bundle is located in the built products directory which is passed in via the command line with the "-DPREFIX=${DESTDIR}" directive. This app bundle is missing the PlugIns folder and the plugins. But is does have all the dylibs required for the app to run standalone, it also has all the .lprog files which are missing in the other app bundle located in the build directory.

The dmg is creating the final dmg from the app bundle located in the build products directory, they are identical.

The problem stems from to many pointers pointing at all these different directories. These are the directories I have been able to flush out from the cmake file with lots of MASSAGE commands:

Code:
-- Found OpenGL...
--     Lib: /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
--     Include: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
-- Found wxWidgets: TRUE

--     lib: -L/Users/freddie/Desktop/wxwidgets_2.8.12/built_products/i386products/lib-framework IOKit-framework Carbon-framework Cocoa-framework System-framework QuickTime-framework OpenGL-framework AGL-lwx_base_carbonu-2.8-lwx_macu_core-2.8-lwx_base_carbonu_net-2.8-lwx_base_carbonu_xml-2.8-lwx_macu_html-2.8-lwx_macu_adv-2.8-lwx_macu_aui-2.8-lwx_macu_gl-2.8
--     Include: /Users/freddie/Desktop/wxwidgets_2.8.12/built_products/i386products/lib/wx/include/mac-unicode-release-2.8/Users/freddie/Desktop/wxwidgets_2.8.12/built_products/i386products/include/wx-2.8
--     definitions: _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64_LARGE_FILES__WXMAC__

-- *** Will install to: /Users/freddie/Desktop/OpenCPN_new/built_products  ***

-- CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR dir is: /Users/freddie/Desktop/OpenCPN_new/opencpn/buildi386

-- PREFIX_BIN is set to; bin
-- PREFIX_INCLUDE is set to: include
-- PREFIX_DATA is set to: share
-- PREFIX_PKGDATA is set to: share/OpenCPN
-- PREFIX_LIB is set to: /Users/freddie/Desktop/OpenCPN_new/built_products/lib

-- OPENGL_LIBRARIES dir is: /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

-- BZIP2_LIBRARIES dir is: /usr/lib/libbz2.dylib
-- ZLIB_LIBRARY dir is: /usr/lib/libz.dylib

-- CPACK_INSTALL_CMAKE_PROJECTS dir is: /Users/freddie/Desktop/OpenCPN_new/opencpn/buildi386OpenCPNALL/
-- CPACK_PACKAGE_INSTALL_DIRECTORY dir is: OpenCPN
-- CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX dir is: /Users/freddie/Desktop/OpenCPN_new/built_products
The version that is built in the build directory works quite well and it does have working Plugins, I left it running for 24 hours and its seems to work OK, although it still has the problem with the tool bar not changing back from seethru to normal when you run the mouse over it. It is also missing the dylibs from WxWidgets, but when it loads the system finds them just fine. This will not work if you don't have the libs in the same place on your system as I have on mine.

Thanks for all your help,
Freddie
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 23:46   #95

Dave-

I don't see any problem with x-11 not being found. My reading of the output is that the external X-11 files, among others, are listed as found. There are two pairs of errors during fixup_bundle: 1) the two plugin dylibs don't exist in the app bundle, and aren't found in subsequent steps, and 2) libSDL and libgtk-x11 (or their rpaths) can't be changed because the load commands are too long (????) - need to relink with -headerpad or headerpad_max_install_names. I am guessing that the latter is what is causing fixup to fail.

I don't suppose it should be surprising that their are still problems with CMake and wxWidgets - such cross-platform tools are hugely complex. That doesn't reduce the pain out at the bleeding edge...

Awaiting further guidance, and thanks for all of the work.

Greg
Old 01-06-2012, 06:39   #96
Marine Service Provider

Greg....

Ok, I think the first necessary step is to relink with headerpad_max_install_names. That way, we can get the fixup to complete. Then we shall see what happens with the plugin INSTALL step.

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-06-2012, 12:01   #97

Dave-

OK. But how to do that?

I'm driving to Bend this PM so will check back in evening PDT.

Greg
Old 03-06-2012, 05:47   #98

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Problem downloading source code. "git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn" command returns; fatal: Unable to look up opencpn.git.sourceforge.net (port 9418) (Name or service not known)

Any ideas?

Armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51   #99

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
Problem downloading source code. "git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn" command returns; fatal: Unable to look up opencpn.git.sourceforge.net (port 9418) (Name or service not known)

Any ideas?

Armido
Two things pops up in my mind.
1 You don't have git installed
2 There is some problems with your Internet service.

I have no problems with your command!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30   #100

Thomas, git is installed and have checked network settings. Problem is most likely with Digicel that recently rolled out 4G service. Is there another way to get latest opencpn source code? No link at Sourceforge for downloading source, only latest package... Googling has not revealed another means for getting the source.

Thanks,
Armido
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39   #101

Boat: Phantom 19

Armido...
Welcome to the wonderful world of cell companies victims... I hope yours does not block at least HTTPS.

You can get the latest code packaged at https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/zipball/master or better try to clone the github repository over https with
Code:
git clone https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39   #102

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
Thomas, git is installed and have checked network settings. Problem is most likely with Digicel that recently rolled out 4G service. Is there another way to get latest opencpn source code? No link at Sourceforge for downloading source, only latest package... Googling has not revealed another means for getting the source.
Yes, very likely. Try using the https protocol instead, it is more likely to be correctly routed by your provider.

https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40   #103

Boat: Journeyman

Nice timing Pavel, on the minute
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03   #104

Pavel,

Password?

Armido
Old 03-06-2012, 11:05   #105

Boat: Phantom 19

Armido...
I've corrected the link to one that will work for you already... No password needed then.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn