Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2012, 08:57   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Oups... I have just discovered on turning on the light description in the toolbox that part of the text seems overprinted many times...
Jesperwe, can you do something about it ?
I had noticed it before, but the change in font (the one you mentioned above) seems to have made things worse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	41233  
__________________

__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 09:04   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Boat: Journeyman
Posts: 705
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Oups... I have just discovered on turning on the light description in the toolbox that part of the text seems overprinted many times...
Good catch. Seems no one has tested that before. I will look at it.
__________________

__________________
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 09:24   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,247
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Dave

Missing in the documentation:

Instructions on how to install OpenCPN on a Mac, for normal users.

Anyone on a Mac out there, that can give a hand with this?
We need somthin on this page ->Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 09:34   #49
Registered User
 
Gilletarom's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: France
Boat: 10.50 mètres
Posts: 2,294
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

hello,

Charttext

Using font calibri, 10, normal

See the two screen copy.
One with openGL On
Second with openGL Off

In a case, it seem that the font is bold but it is not same in the other case.

And, if I click "Calibri 10, bold", same problem. There is no difference from bold and not bold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-19_Calibri_10_with__OpenGL_On.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	41234   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-19_Calibri_10_with__OpenGL_Off.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	41235  

__________________
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 09:49   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Boat: Journeyman
Posts: 705
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Oups... I have just discovered on turning on the light description in the toolbox that part of the text seems overprinted many times...
Jesperwe, can you do something about it ?
Well, this is an old problem that has been around for long as far as I can tell. The issue is that "A light" in the database is actually just one sector of the light. So what we think of as "a light" is anywhere from one to over a dozen objects in the database. And when Light Descriptions are turned on, you get all the descriptions for the sectors on top of each other.

In solving this, the question is what to display? It is easy to make the system just use the first sector it comes across, and skip the rest. It looks like this:



Now in this particular case (and in the majority of the cases) the only thing that differs between the sectors is the range (the last number). So in this case the description is correct for one or more of the sectors, but not all of them, because they have a different range.

I could choose to not display range at all, which would make it correct for all sectors, but not give the user any info at all about range. Most of the time, the sectors will have reasonably similar range, so saying 14NM is better than saying nothing.

And then there are the cases where different sectors actually have different characteristics, which is a tougher nut to crack. Not really sure what's best to do here...

(Oh and in the image above there is also a "G" for a green sector, this should probably not be there)
__________________
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 10:07   #51
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Well, this is an old problem that has been around for long as far as I can tell. The issue is that "A light" in the database is actually just one sector of the light. So what we think of as "a light" is anywhere from one to over a dozen objects in the database. And when Light Descriptions are turned on, you get all the descriptions for the sectors on top of each other.

In solving this, the question is what to display? It is easy to make the system just use the first sector it comes across, and skip the rest. It looks like this:



Now in this particular case (and in the majority of the cases) the only thing that differs between the sectors is the range (the last number). So in this case the description is correct for one or more of the sectors, but not all of them, because they have a different range.

I could choose to not display range at all, which would make it correct for all sectors, but not give the user any info at all about range. Most of the time, the sectors will have reasonably similar range, so saying 14NM is better than saying nothing.

And then there are the cases where different sectors actually have different characteristics, which is a tougher nut to crack. Not really sure what's best to do here...

(Oh and in the image above there is also a "G" for a green sector, this should probably not be there)
The white sector(s) always has/have the largest range as they are the brightest..and they must be similar as they come from a single light source. So I suggest outputting the white range, with the letter w.

If there is no white sector, pick up the colored sector with the largest range...

I know there are a few cases of several lights on the same tower...Pick up the one with the largest range ?
The official SHOM chart have both lights on the chart, though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	41236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	41237  

__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 10:16   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Boat: Journeyman
Posts: 705
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
The white sector(s) always has/have the largest range as they are the brightest..and they must be similar as they come from a single light source. So I suggest outputting the white range, with the letter w.
Not really doable without major code modifications, I am afraid. The code for displaying the lights is pretty convoluted, and sits kind of in the middle of the object rendering pipeline. Picking the W sector if it exists involves introducing dependencies on the objects before and after in the pipe, which is not so easy given how complex this code is. I don't want to risk that this close to release.

I am trying the safe approach at the moment: Only display what we know to be correct. So for sectored lights do not show color or range.

/j
__________________
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 11:54   #53
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Boat: Journeyman
Posts: 705
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

....and, as a matter of fact, it gets even worse. The chart database gives me the sectors of various lights in a totally random order, not all sectors for one light, then all for the next light etc. No no. Some sectors from one light, then some from another, then back to the first.

I have submitted some code that makes it better than what we have now, but it's far from perfect I am afraid.
__________________
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 12:17   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Boat: Journeyman
Posts: 705
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Charttext

Using font calibri, 10, normal

See the two screen copy.
One with openGL On
Second with openGL Off

In a case, it seem that the font is bold but it is not same in the other case.

And, if I click "Calibri 10, bold", same problem. There is no difference from bold and not bold.
It is the chart that controls if text is bold or not. So your selection of normal or bold is always ignored. This is by design. (You can chose italic if you want, though, that is not under chart control).

Note that CM93 never uses bold texts, while for example NOAA ENCs does this frequently.

And DC rendering and OpenGL rendering will usually produce slightly different looking text, it is two totally different graphics systems. If a particular font is not coming out correctly in one of these, it is probably due to some incompatibility in the font. There are lots of broken fonts in the world... Try another one.

Calibri, at least as far as I can see, does work well though. With NOAA ENC's I get normal/bold under both DC and OpenGL. It is however a font designed by Microsoft for ClearType, which does not work under OpenGL, which might explain why your rendering is not according to expectations.

For OpenCPN it is probably better to stick to general purpose fonts that are not designed for vendor specific features.

/j
__________________
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 12:31   #55
Registered User
 
Rik-lu's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Boat: HR40
Posts: 196
Images: 2
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-lu View Post
I do not like this new function:

240. New Hotkeys:
All affecting Vector charts only, and only in Mariners Standard display category.
'L' - Toggle LIGHTS display
'R' - Toggle generic "rocks" display, including UWTROC, OBSTRN, and WRECKS
'S' - Toggle SOUNDG display

if somebody touches accidentally the 'R' button the rocks are no longer displayed,
.....I have no idea of it and I crash into the next rock ????

at least there should be a warning on the screen (like the meters on top right) that tells me "rocks off" , "soundings off", "lights off".

just leave this function away, for me its dangerous !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Rik-lu, for this purpose you have the other three display categories ("Base"/"Standard"/"Other"). Just leave your system in the "Other" category and you are sure that all objects are displayed, the hotkeys are deactivated. (Except soundings, which has a separate on/off switch)

I understand the function for lights and soundings to have the screen more free,
but the rocks etc. should not be able to be (accidentally) switched off just by typing the 'R' button. It's an error trap !

crash-bang-crack-blubb-gluglugluglu

__________________
Hi from Rik
Rik-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 21:32   #56
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,883
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Hey there....

I call your attention to
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist

I cannot reproduce this. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 23:39   #57
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Hey there....

I call your attention to
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist

I cannot reproduce this. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Thanks
Dave
I can't. W7 with CM93 Jan 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	41262  
__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 02:52   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Angers - France
Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Posts: 743
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Hi All

Many thanks for this new beta

I don't think this has been rerported but sorry if it has :
The new light description is misplaced in the dialog query
It seams to happen only when there is one color or for the last color when there are several
you can see two dumps attached

Regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ObjectQuery1.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	41263   Click image for larger version

Name:	0bjectQuery2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	41264  

__________________
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 03:03   #59
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Hi All

Many thanks for this new beta

I don't think this has been rerported but sorry if it has :
The new light description is misplaced in the dialog query
It seams to happen only when there is one color or for the last color when there are several
you can see two dumps attached

Regards
Jean Pierre
Hi Jean-Pierre

Does that happen with the unbroken wxmsw28u_html_vc_custom.dll JesperWe linked to in post #36 in this thread ?

It's OK with me using it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	41266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image003.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	41267  

__________________
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 04:53   #60
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Angers - France
Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Posts: 743
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Hi Jean-Pierre

Does that happen with the unbroken wxmsw28u_html_vc_custom.dll JesperWe linked to in post #36 in this thread ?

It's OK with me using it

Ok Thanks SailorF54 , with the new DLL , everything OK
JP
__________________

__________________
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
opencpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.