Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 11:25   #106

Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
All new features tested and working.

On 205, don't forget to put both required tide files in a named folder (e.g. Europe) within the UserTCData foder...

BTW, tide files for North Sea, Channel, European Atlantic and Med shores can be found here (thanks to Merak56, use with usual caution)
Some tide current data included as well
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzWF...Ddm/edit?pli=1
Hi

This question is not related with the beta version, it is general.

I'm trying to build a tide file pair (HARMONIC and HARMONIC.IDX) for Portugal and portuguese Islands.

I have the Harmonic constants for a lot of ports of Portugal that will be considered as reference stations. This is much more accurate than having one reference station and a lot of secondary stations. I Have the tide information from the Instituto Hidrografico so I can check the data from OpenCPN. I think that the right way to have correct tide information in OpenCPN is if one person takes care of just some stations, ie if a pair of HARMONIC files exists for one country or part of it and not to have a Worldwide pair of HARMONIC files. This will be easy to manage with Version 2.6.

I think that the existing data available from the Internet, at least for the Iberian Peninsula, has some flaws, namely:

Many stations considered as secondary stations referring to far away reference stations in different countries (All Canary Islands and Madeira Islands are referring to Casablanca in Morocco). Spanish ports in the Bay of Cadiz are referring to Lisbon which lays inside a river far away.

The package that comes with OpenCPN has some flaws also. Many Icelandic ports do not display the tide because OpenCPN doesn't accept accented characters which are very common in Iceland. (although I prefer some warmer places for sailing)

For the moment the main problem I have to produce a pair of files just for the Portuguese ports is the following:

The way the program calculates the tides with the data from the two Harmonic files is a mistery to me.

For instance, Ponta Delgada in the Azores. I have tried everything to get the tides in meters. No way. Other ports in Azores have tides in meters but not Ponta Delgada. Changed constants from feet to meter, everything. Doesn't work.

Other doubt I have:

The tide calculation takes care of the Daylight Saving Time ?
We are in UTC time from Ocotber to March and UTC+1 between March and October.

As I am new to this forum and this subject I would like if you give me your advice on how to deal with this subject. Who to contact?

Regards

João
Jblasques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 12:07   #107

Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblasques View Post
Hi

This question is not related with the beta version, it is general.

I'm trying to build a tide file pair (HARMONIC and HARMONIC.IDX) for Portugal and portuguese Islands.

I have the Harmonic constants for a lot of ports of Portugal that will be considered as reference stations. This is much more accurate than having one reference station and a lot of secondary stations. I Have the tide information from the Instituto Hidrografico so I can check the data from OpenCPN. I think that the right way to have correct tide information in OpenCPN is if one person takes care of just some stations, ie if a pair of HARMONIC files exists for one country or part of it and not to have a Worldwide pair of HARMONIC files. This will be easy to manage with Version 2.6.

I think that the existing data available from the Internet, at least for the Iberian Peninsula, has some flaws, namely:

Many stations considered as secondary stations referring to far away reference stations in different countries (All Canary Islands and Madeira Islands are referring to Casablanca in Morocco). Spanish ports in the Bay of Cadiz are referring to Lisbon which lays inside a river far away.

The package that comes with OpenCPN has some flaws also. Many Icelandic ports do not display the tide because OpenCPN doesn't accept accented characters which are very common in Iceland. (although I prefer some warmer places for sailing)

For the moment the main problem I have to produce a pair of files just for the Portuguese ports is the following:

The way the program calculates the tides with the data from the two Harmonic files is a mistery to me.

For instance, Ponta Delgada in the Azores. I have tried everything to get the tides in meters. No way. Other ports in Azores have tides in meters but not Ponta Delgada. Changed constants from feet to meter, everything. Doesn't work.

Other doubt I have:

The tide calculation takes care of the Daylight Saving Time ?
We are in UTC time from Ocotber to March and UTC+1 between March and October.

As I am new to this forum and this subject I would like if you give me your advice on how to deal with this subject. Who to contact?

Regards

João

Joao, can you send me all your tide file I will prepare it so that you copy it directly into the OpenCPN working correctly?
My email :- pierdube@videotron.ca
Bye
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn