Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 13:22   #76

Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1524

Found the problem . . . and fortunately fairly quickly. The reason the program would not start is the World Magnetic Model plugin section. The file I have is: wmm_win32_pi15_v03_pi.dll. When I removed this section, the program started right up.

After pinpointing this section, I re-added it and the program would not start. So I'm pretty confident this is it.
sailracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 13:38   #77
Marine Service Provider

Sailracer....

OK, great news.

I'll take a look at the WMM PlugIn, and try to see if we can avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks so much for your help.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 18:02   #78

Boat: Cal2/46

Many thanks for the latest enhancements - I'm especially fond of the new chart groups.

I've been looking into an opencpn crash on Fedora:

Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x00000000004e1997 in wxMemoryDCBase::SelectObject (this=0x7fffaa103db8,
bmp=...) at /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/dcmemory.h:35
35 if (bmp.IsOk())

So far not a lot of progress so thought I'd post what I've observed in hopes that better heads will see what I'm missing:
  • Opencpn 2.6.1524 built from source
  • Fedora 16 (64-bit), fully updated
  • Happens only on NOAA vector charts with GL enabled
  • Have recreated 3 times with the same symptoms. However it happens very sporadically after a lot of scrolling and zooming (so by the time it happens I'm uncertain as to the exact chain of events that triggered it).
  • Seems to be related to loading of a new chart; the times I've managed to recreate it thus far s57chart::BuildThumbnail always shows up in the stack trace
Stack trace from the most recent crash is attached (it's a text file despite the doc extension). I have a core as well, but it's far too large for posting.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: doc trace.doc (7.7 KB, 55 views)
teotwawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 19:40   #79
Marine Service Provider

Steve....

I took a look at the trace, and it appears that this is crashing on a DC render, i.e.non-OpenGL.

Are you able to run ddd, which is a dynamic source level debugger? Should be available for modern fedora....

If you install ddd, then do:

$ddd opencpn
"Run"
make it crash.
switch to ddd window, and look at Status->Backtrace.
You can also examine variables, etc.

I, or others, can walk you through the operation of ddd in order to try to narrow this thing down.

Thanks
Dave
Old 28-03-2012, 20:22   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Steve....

I took a look at the trace, and it appears that this is crashing on a DC render, i.e.non-OpenGL.

Are you able to run ddd, which is a dynamic source level debugger? Should be available for modern fedora....

If you install ddd, then do:

$ddd opencpn
"Run"
make it crash.
switch to ddd window, and look at Status->Backtrace.
You can also examine variables, etc.

I, or others, can walk you through the operation of ddd in order to try to narrow this thing down.

Thanks
Dave
Thanks Dave. The use of non-GL renderer struck me as a bit suspicious, since GL was enabled during the run. From the log just before the crash:

11:48:11 EDT: Chartdb: Chart directory list follows
11:48:11 EDT: Chart directory #0: /usr/local/share/charts/NOAA_ENC/ENC_ROOT
11:48:11 EDT: Chart directory #1: /usr/local/share/charts/NOAA_RNC/BSB_ROOT
11:48:11 EDT: GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
11:48:12 EDT: OpenGL-> Renderer String: GeForce 8600M GT/PCI/SSE2
11:48:12 EDT: OpenGL-> Using Framebuffer Objects
11:48:12 EDT: OpenGL-> Using FBO Stencil buffer
11:48:12 EDT: OpenGL-> Using Stencil buffer clipping
11:48:12 EDT: OpenGL-> Estimated Max Resident Textures: 98
11:55:58 EDT: Initializing Chart /usr/local/share/charts/NOAA_ENC/ENC_ROOT/US2EC03M/US2EC03M.000
12:00:00 EDT: LOGBOOK: 2012-03-25 16:00:00 UTC DR Lat 35.02240 Lon -76.68660
12:05:59 EDT: Initializing Chart /usr/local/share/charts/NOAA_ENC/ENC_ROOT/US3GA10M/US3GA10M.000
12:08:10 EDT: Initializing Chart /usr/local/share/charts/NOAA_ENC/ENC_ROOT/US5GA20M/US5GA20M.000
12:08:11 EDT: Building SENC file for /usr/local/share/charts/NOAA_ENC/ENC_ROOT/US5GA20M/US5GA20M.000 to /home/johnstuart/steve/.opencpn/SENC/US5GA20M.S57
----crash occurs here ----

GL wasn't toggled during the run (and was still enabled in the .conf file after the run). It looks to me like BuildThumbnail might always take the non-GL path, but I don't understand the code well enough at this point to make that statement with any confidence.

I've been using gdb, but will check out ddd as well. Will also clear out the SENCs and force it to rebuild us5ga20m. Maybe something peculiar to that chart.

Thanks
Old 28-03-2012, 21:46   #81
Marine Service Provider

Steve...

Oh so right you are. I didn't look at the whole trace.

Creating the thumbnail is done using a simple DC renderer.
Thumbnails render only object classes LNDARE and DEPARE.

The crash is coming during rendering of a symbol, most likely associated with LNDARE.

After looking more at the code, I can see a path that might indeed cause a crash during thumbnail building while in OpenGL mode. The logic goes like this:

Symbols are rendered and cached on first use. If the first use of a particular symbol should happen to be in a standard OpenGL context, the cached information is an OpenGL RGBA buffer. OpenGL renders work fine.

However, if that cached symbol is later needed for a wxDC render of a thumbnail, the cached value will not be right, since it was created as an (RGBA *) in an OpenGL context, but really should be (wxBitmap *). The cast does not fail, but a crash results if he tries to treat the cached thing as a wxBitmap.

Prove it:
Switch to non-openGL mode. Scan around your area of interest, building SENCs and BMPs for all the ENCs you are interested in. Then switch back (permanently if you desire) to OpenGL mode. If the theory is correct, this should work fine.

Other users prove the other side:
Delete your SENC directory, or at least SENC/*.BMP. Switch to OpenGL mode. Put on a helmet, and open some ENCs. Expect a crash.

Subtle bug, if true. All my BMPs were made years ago. Let that be a lesson to me. "Delete the SENC folder occasionally during alpha and beta testing, to increase the stress."

The fix should be straightforward for the next Beta.

Thanks for the catch
Dave
Old 29-03-2012, 05:19   #82

Dave,

That explanation makes sense. I'll play around with it some more to see if i can confirm, but I think you've nailed it. Thanks for looking into this so quickly.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Steve...

Oh so right you are. I didn't look at the whole trace.

Creating the thumbnail is done using a simple DC renderer.
Thumbnails render only object classes LNDARE and DEPARE.

The crash is coming during rendering of a symbol, most likely associated with LNDARE.

After looking more at the code, I can see a path that might indeed cause a crash during thumbnail building while in OpenGL mode. The logic goes like this:

Symbols are rendered and cached on first use. If the first use of a particular symbol should happen to be in a standard OpenGL context, the cached information is an OpenGL RGBA buffer. OpenGL renders work fine.

However, if that cached symbol is later needed for a wxDC render of a thumbnail, the cached value will not be right, since it was created as an (RGBA *) in an OpenGL context, but really should be (wxBitmap *). The cast does not fail, but a crash results if he tries to treat the cached thing as a wxBitmap.

Prove it:
Switch to non-openGL mode. Scan around your area of interest, building SENCs and BMPs for all the ENCs you are interested in. Then switch back (permanently if you desire) to OpenGL mode. If the theory is correct, this should work fine.

Other users prove the other side:
Delete your SENC directory, or at least SENC/*.BMP. Switch to OpenGL mode. Put on a helmet, and open some ENCs. Expect a crash.

Subtle bug, if true. All my BMPs were made years ago. Let that be a lesson to me. "Delete the SENC folder occasionally during alpha and beta testing, to increase the stress."

The fix should be straightforward for the next Beta.

Thanks for the catch
Dave
Old 30-03-2012, 11:19   #83

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

I built OpenCPN 2.6 1524 on my Mac (OS 10.6.8 i386) and tried it out, it seems to be working OK except when I open the dashboard plugin and then close the window it crashes. Attached is the crash log.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OpenCPN 2.6-1524 Crash Log.pdf (42.3 KB, 61 views)
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:35   #84

Thanks Dave & All for the new Beta, especially for the fine-grain tracking capability! Also nice to be able again to put many blanks in WP names!

I have not sailed with it, but had a brief look at 2.6.1524.

A quick summary of issues I noticed:

1. OpenGL still has the behavior mentioned in the first 2.6 Beta for me, shifting the chart down and not scrolling the strip at top of screen ( first reported in Forums - Post 828378">-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-2.6.1125-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww- OpenGL log entries look same as before - Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator, MS Vista ).

2. Split Track button in Track Properties is never enabled. Extend Track seems to work OK. I did not look into the source, but can't readily think of why this should give any trouble.

3. Selecting a row in the trackpoint list in Track Properties does not highlight it, nor does it center the chart on the trackpoint. This makes it very difficult to use the information on individual trackpoints, e.g. searching for the location the boat was at on given time. I miss this very much.

The other issues are not new in 2.6.x, I think, so I entered them into Flyspray.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07   #85

Boat: Dufour 35

Dave
CM93 doesn't seem to always become properly initialized when using GL mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ply.png
Views:	175
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	39371
An object query on the Maker light in GL mode.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ply1.png
Views:	112
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	39372
The same query in non GL mode.

Switching back to GL mode, and the result is now the same as for non GL mode. Repeatable in different locations but not everywhere.
So far a number of UK locations behave like this.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:53   #86

Boat: 29'

I haven't anything more constructive to do than follow my betters around, but per Thomas' post above, I confirm at that same position(Hooe lake) except, if I turn the Text button on, the details come back, on the next "right-click- object query"

(The details will persist when Text button is off, for a little while, but the behaviour "details lost in openGL-OFF" will soon return for that place)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00   #87

Boat: 29'

...and it's the same over here in Canada. Tweaking the Vector charts settings hasn't made a diff yet
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18   #88
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There is no general Linux sound problem. All distros has switched to alsa a long time ago, as far as I know.
OpenCPN is using wxsound that is OSS based. Failing OSS it falls back on SDL. Wxsound is a very nice fit for our needs - very simple sounds.
Now Ubuntu (from 11.4) and other distros stopped supporting legacy OSS applications, and did not have sdl compiled into wxgtk. So the solution was to find wx packages that supported sdl, and aske Ubuntu to include sdl in the future. Still no answer on that request though.
I don't think that supporting external audio programs is a good alternative. What can be done, is to use wxMediaCtrl instead of wxSound. The drawback is that you use a full multimedia solution to play some simple wav files, but it may be worthwhile to look into.

Thomas
Thomas,

I followed your advice and installed wx* libraries from wxgtk apt repository. It cured the problem and sound is fine. Thank you for pointing out the nature of this problem. Now, I have a small suggestion. Could the 'known problems' section get a bit more visibility on opencpn.org? Right now it is kind of hidden in the 2.5 stable. I think that moving it to a left menu, somewhere close to 'User Manual' > 'FAQ' would make it easier to find. Thanks.

Marius
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 13:16   #89

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Thomas,

I followed your advice and installed wx* libraries from wxgtk apt repository. It cured the problem and sound is fine. Thank you for pointing out the nature of this problem. Now, I have a small suggestion. Could the 'known problems' section get a bit more visibility on opencpn.org? Right now it is kind of hidden in the 2.5 stable. I think that moving it to a left menu, somewhere close to 'User Manual' > 'FAQ' would make it easier to find. Thanks.

Marius
Marius
Thank you for your feedback. I'll think about your suggestion!
An updated FAQ section might be the answer.
The advice for sound on Linux is also, nowadays, a part of the installation instructions. But that is, of course, not an obvious place, for someone that is just upgrading, to look at.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 15:25   #90
Marine Service Provider

Thomas....

Regarding lost detail on cm93:

I found that too. Problem traced to changes made a long time ago for 2.6.
Most often occurs right after chart pan or drag, goes away after the next full screen render. Could happen on OpenGL, or wxDC renders, most likely on the DC renders, though.

Solution is in hand for next Beta.

Thanks
Dave

Tags
opencpn