Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2012, 09:06   #31

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1511

Gilletarom...
Your GPS connection has to be active for the plugin to show data at the boat's location, without GPS the plugin does not receive the lat/lon info.
Check the .mo file you are using - the localization works just fine. The "official" .po is at https://raw.github.com/nohal/wmm_pi/wmm/po/fr.po - Just the term "Display mode" is untranslated, otherwise everything should be OK there.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:10   #32

Boat: Dufour 35

Pavel

In the new wpt properties dialog.
If I first create a new mark -> properties -> edit, and then am a bit naughty, and close the dialog and delete the mark. (with edit "active")
After that....
If I go to the route manager and mark a layer for showing, and then open properties in one of the "extended" marks. An existing link is then opened for editing when pressing instead of showing the content. The edit button is not active.

If I once again create a new mark, then the edit button is active when entering properties. If I deactivate edit, close the dialog and delete the mark......well...then the layer as above works as expected.

Looks like a bug.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:30   #33

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Thanks Dave and the gang for a near perfect 2.6.1511. running under Vista.

So far,all my old complaints have been fixed and I will continue testing the not so obvious.

Thanks again mates!!!!

Tore
Old 14-03-2012, 15:40   #34
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
122. Implement Chart Groups
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
... should make Dan happy . ...
Yessss... Dan be bedi bedi happy now....

Except that I am moving my servers from the office down to the basement, so it may be a while before I can test much. At least when I'm finished it'll all be rack mounted and the office will be quiet!

But I'll try to squeak out time for testing and updating Flyspray.

Thanks, Dave!

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:43   #35

Boat: 29'

I got O working as portable in PuppyLinux ! hurray and it seems to work fine.

I thought I'd mention this in case it's useful. I get a similar thing running 2.5 (without" -p") from a cmd window.
sh-4.1# ./opencpn -p

(opencpn:22723): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
execvp(xcalib, -clear) failed with error 2!

so far, I can't see that it affects anything...?? maybe it's just the video driver I need run to get proper resolution for this Dell, but I think it was there with the default driver too.Should I test that or is it unimportant....
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
I got O working as portable in PuppyLinux ! hurray and it seems to work fine.

I thought I'd mention this in case it's useful. I get a similar thing running 2.5 (without" -p") from a cmd window.
sh-4.1# ./opencpn -p

(opencpn:22723): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
execvp(xcalib, -clear) failed with error 2!

so far, I can't see that it affects anything...?? maybe it's just the video driver I need run to get proper resolution for this Dell, but I think it was there with the default driver too.Should I test that or is it unimportant....
Happy
If you execute the command "./opencpn" from your portable file, you will use the opencpn binary in the portable folder, but all the general setting and cache files, opencpn.config etc, that are located in $HOME/.opencpn.

In other words executing "opencpn" uses the regularly installed program in all respects.
Executing "./opencpn" uses the "opencpn" binary in the same directory but otherwise all the normal cache & settings files.
Executing "./opencpn -p" uses the "opencpn" binary in the same directory and the local setting files in the same directory - normal portable execution.

If you try "opencpn -p" from a directory not prepared as portable, trouble will follow. The program will try to write config files etc to /usr/local/bin, which a normal user can't do. This is a good thing, the result would just be a mess.

The Gdk-CRITICAL is not critical. Just ignore it.
"execvp(xcalib, -clear) failed with error 2!"
This only affects the dimming F6/SHIFT + F6, possibly even Ctrl + G as well. Could you install "xcalib" and try again. Any difference?
I don't get this message, even after uninstalling xcalib.

Thomas
Old 15-03-2012, 11:00   #37

Thanks, Thomas....
I think I have it ok as portable, running alongside 2.5 installed and from a usb stick too. The conf file shows difference and I had to install the charts in each Portable version- one on hdd one, one on usb and the properly- installed OPCN 2.5. It was a bit of a learning exercise -I extracted all files/folders from the Ubuntu/deb distro and sorted em out as one OPCN folder. I even "know" how to make a script to the desktop with an icon to start it !

Yes !! I've noticed the dimming shortcut isn't working for Opencpn 2.5 or the 2.6 betas at all. Thanks for that clue! That is going to solve the error and the dimming I bet! I'll get on it (xcalib).
By the way, (and I only mention it to see if other PenguinPeople have this)- the "?" html help don't work for 2.5 on a PuppyLinux hdd install. I hate digging around in Linux but maybe I can edit something to fix this?.... or (not so important) the portable where there's bound to be a path problem!
Other Simple tests are fine. GPS works.but it's plain that any portable version is going to rely on a decently set-up Host for gps drivers, etc .

But this good portable version is darned useful !
Old 15-03-2012, 11:03   #38

...well! no xcalib libraries here...Guess I'd better install one, eh?
Old 15-03-2012, 11:12   #39

Happy

I don't know about your puppy problem, but the ? help works for me when running portable. Did you copy /usr/local/share/opencpn/doc/ directory to your portable directory? Or maybe this is also a puppy problem?
Just to check a very simple thing - has your puppy a default browser?

Thomas
Old 15-03-2012, 11:30   #40

...aaah. Puppy USED to. I apparently have wrecked that when I put SeaMonkey on and "tried" to get it as default in this hdd install -unfinished business!

Pavel will be laughing at me rooting around on root but it seemed a good way to learn what'swhat in Penguin guts.
Old 15-03-2012, 11:33   #41

Dave...
Just gave the latest code a little test on precise pangolin beta - runs OK. I was a little bit evil at it at the same time and discovered that we segfault miserably when S52RAZDS.RLE is not found - should we survive it (raster charts will still work OK, so it makes some sense) and just mention it in the log or quit with some loud descriptive scream?

Pavel
Old 15-03-2012, 12:07   #42

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Dave...
Just gave the latest code a little test on precise pangolin beta - runs OK. I was a little bit evil at it at the same time and discovered that we segfault miserably when S52RAZDS.RLE is not found - should we survive it (raster charts will still work OK, so it makes some sense) and just mention it in the log or quit with some loud descriptive scream?

Pavel
Pavel
Unless I got you wrong, I'm surprised.
2.5 and 2.6.1511 work nice without S52RAZDS.RLE on Vista.
Here is the relevant part of the log with CM93 loaded

---------------

S52PLIB: Cannot open S52 rules file C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\s57data\S52RAZDS.RLE
Looking for s57data in C:\Users\François\AppData\Roaming\opencpn\s57data
S52PLIB: Cannot open S52 rules file C:\Users\François\AppData\Roaming\opencpn\s57data\ S52RAZDS.RLE
Looking for s57data in C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\s57data
S52PLIB: Cannot open S52 rules file C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\s57data\S52RAZDS.RLE
S52PLIB Initialization failed, disabling S57 charts.
-----
The raster or Google view kap charts are fine...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:12   #43

Thanks for the info - I never actually tried it before on neither Windows nor Linux before and didn't look at the code, so didn't know if we crash everywhere or just on Precise - Serves more than well as a clue on how the fix should look

Pavel
Old 15-03-2012, 15:49   #44

Fixed, thanks Thomas.
Id' better say what I did in case some other hapless Puppy comes by...copied xcalib to usr/bin and that's it. O finds it and I can dim screen with F6.
Old 15-03-2012, 18:50   #45
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

OK, I decided to hammer chart groups. SO... I loaded in ALL my charts all at once.

On an AMD 4-core, 6gb RAM, Win 7 64 bit it took 1 hour 53 minutes to build the chart database. Not sure exactly how many charts, but the overall directory has 85,628 files totaling 98.1gb. (Large numbers of home-made photo and topo charts and GoogleEarth charts)

I did 10 additional chart groups.

In bouncing around, it works very well. Very well indeed. Switching groups is fast. I like it. Now I gotta go separate out my terraserver charts into 3 directories so there can be 3 folders for topo, B&W photos and color photos.

I haven't broken it, yet. I'll keep trying.

So, yes, Dan is a happy camper. So when do we get transparent overlays?

-dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chartgroups.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	38761  
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn