Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-05-2011, 18:23   #91

Boat: 29'
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.4 Beta Build 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All Windows users.....

We still have intermittent crashes on dragging cm93 in quilt mode.

We MUST have a drwatson log to analyze this problem.

I expressly request that all active Windows Beta testers activate drwatson crash dump recording, and learn how to capture a crash dump for this case.

Simple screen shots of the Windows crash dialog are not useful. We must have dumps.
.....etc
Well,I've got something here.Involves a different laptop,XPSP2,quilting on,course up,and using the arrow keys,not grab-and-drag.
Consistent crash.
CM93 is in the bar,but I've got Rasters on screen...

a taste?:
Microsoft (R) DrWtsn32
Application exception occurred:
App: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\opencpn.exe (pid=1308)
When: 5/12/2011 @ 16:55:27.703
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

drwtsn32.log.doc
I have a dump too.I just have to install the debugger over there...

Old 12-05-2011, 19:00   #92

Boat: Hylas 44

This may narrow the possibilities on the drag problem or it may be a new problem.

1st case:
Charts in single mode. Auto follow on. Stop openCPN.
Restart openCPN. Auto follow will be on. Drag the chart. Auto follow turns off.
System normal.

2nd case:
Chart quilting on. Auto follow on. Stop openCPN.
Restart openCPN. Auto follow will be on. Drag the chart. Crash.

This happens with all chart types.

Old 12-05-2011, 19:33   #93

Just arrived from second atlantic crossing using OCPN. Last leg from azores to the med heavily testing beta 2.4.506, so here is some feedback about the few issues I encountered (running under Vista):

-Wheel Zoom to Cursor has a bit weird behaviour as it is; I understand that the utility of this option is to get a fast zoom in a particular part of the chart away from the center, with a continuous fast wheel stroke. But with the current implementation, with the first wheel step the area to be zoomed gets centered in the screen so goes away from the cursor, then the next wheel step would zoom an unwanted area of the chart unless you follow that area over the screen as it moves to the center on every twist of the mouse wheel. In my opinion the area to be zoomed should keep in the same position of the screen (still under the cursor) not moving to the center of the screen, so next wheel step goes on zooming the area of interest. This way you can get many zoom steps on a particular area in a fraction of a second.

-In the Route/This Leg box that pops out when activating a route, I would find very useful to add a Date in the ETA little window; As it is, if I didn't miss something, you get the hour of arrival but you don't know the day! In water sailing">blue water sailing, this is not obvious...

-When windows task bar is set to automatically hide, OCPN prevents its hiding when is the active window. But this doesn`t happen always, and I can't reproduce the problem by now. Just sometimes happens.

-F11 fullscreen hotkey makes OCPN go fullscreen, except for an space in the bottom, that maches exactly the size of the hidden task bar, so I guess this issue is related somehow to the previous; again it happens sometimes, not always.

-OCPN slows down sometimes when heavily browsing charts (CM93) zooming and panning continuously.

-Enhanced Route Properties works great after the implementation of Piotr's patch. Now it's really useful for route planning. The only comment about this is that I understood that leg speeds would be editable via WP properties, but I didn't get to know how, so I wonder if this is really implemented or I misanderstood Piotr's explanations.

-CM93 offset tool is also a great idea, anyway I observed that the behaviour differs from what is explained in OCPN manual. I could not see the way to set the offset graphically with the offset tool, only via the offset dialog. Maybe this is an intended change?

I hope this can help to increase usability, anyway the overall performance is great and I found OCPN really useful, stable, simple and easy, yet powerful enough. Thanks to the developers for your hard work.

Antonio
Old 12-05-2011, 19:33   #94
Marine Service Provider

Happy Seagull....

Crash looks like BSB4 PlugIn. BSB4 PlugIn needs an update for 506. I'm actually surprised it loads and does anything at all. I'll have a new PlugIn shortly.

ChuckSK....

Are you on Windows? Do you have an actual GPS receiver connected?

Seems like a very simple scenario, but I cannot reproduce. I do exactly this almost every day underway, on linux.

Stumped
Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 19:47   #95

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
ChuckSK....

Are you on Windows? Do you have an actual GPS receiver connected?

Seems like a very simple scenario, but I cannot reproduce. I do exactly this almost every day underway, on linux.

Stumped
Dave
Windows vista. I am at home, the gps is on the boat. I will try this scenario with a real gps this weekend.

Chuck
Old 12-05-2011, 21:38   #96

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by antxon View Post
-Wheel Zoom to Cursor has a bit weird behaviour as it is; I understand that the utility of this option is to get a fast zoom in a particular part of the chart away from the center, with a continuous fast wheel stroke. But with the current implementation, with the first wheel step the area to be zoomed gets centered in the screen so goes away from the cursor, then the next wheel step would zoom an unwanted area of the chart unless you follow that area over the screen as it moves to the center on every twist of the mouse wheel. In my opinion the area to be zoomed should keep in the same position of the screen (still under the cursor) not moving to the center of the screen, so next wheel step goes on zooming the area of interest. This way you can get many zoom steps on a particular area in a fraction of a second.
I know it looks like something strange is happening. In fact, when you rotate the mouse wheel the point on the chart that is under the mouse pointer moves to the center of the screen and subsequent mouse wheel rotations keep that point in the center of the screen. Don't try to follow the screen with the mouse pointer or it will jump around all over the place.

It wouldn't seem strange at all if the program moved the mouse pointer to the center of the screen when it centered the chart around the mouse pointer. Then everyone would understand immediately what was happening instead of having to noodle around with it for hours before figuring it out.

Fabbian
Old 12-05-2011, 21:38   #97
Marine Service Provider

S57 Soundings Problem Status....

Thanks to P_Dub, I have identified the problem with Canadian ENCs regarding soundings.

Root cause: Canadian ENCs record soundings as single point features. This is the first time I have seen this. All others seen employ what are called "multi-point" features.

In theory, single point soundings lead to faster rendering than multipoints, although the .000 and SENC file sizes are very slightly larger by so doing.

OCPN 2.4.423 introduced code to optimize vector chart feature rendering, and unfortunately got broken for single point soundings. That carried forward to 506, as well.

Anyway, our solution is straightforward and low risk, and you may expect to see the results in the next Beta.

Thanks again to P_Dub

Dave
Old 12-05-2011, 23:26   #98

Boat: Seamaster 700
Send a message via Skype™ to balp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
Greets..

Tried a new build of 504 and still get the same errors on make (Ubuntu 11.04 known issue/bug with cmake and ubuntu) so no solution in the version....of is the pilot error on this keyboard.?
After patching, /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindGTK2.cmake, adding the serach path where gtk2 is, it works really well.

find_path(${_var} ${_hdr}
PATHS
# fix for Ubuntu >= 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
# end fix for Ubuntu >= 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
/usr/local/lib64

I think the new unity window manger, the new smaller panels will be fantasic at sea. I don't have time for a real test untill sunday thou. This is a clear bug in Ubuntu 11.04's Cmake package.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ke/+bug/751940

It look thou as Ubuntu like the issue to be solved upstream and not by a work around. Manually chaning FindGTK2.cmake, works for OpenCPN thou.

I added my FindGTK2.camke as FindGTK2.doc, download, and place as /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindGTK2.cmake
Attached Files
File Type: doc FindGTK2.doc (20.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 13-05-2011, 01:56   #99

Boat: 10.50 mčtres
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.4

Hello Dave,

I put the tracker on a variety of small applications that were designed to improve the aesthetics of the displays. Over time, you gradually satisfied my proposals.

Such as displaying context-menu.

Bravo and thank you.

Best regards

Gilletarom
Attached Images

Old 13-05-2011, 08:41   #100

Quote:
Greets Thomas.

The fix allows the compile to go to completion. However, once you run OCPN it segfaults on my system and I believe on others too as reported. For sure on my system..sad to say.

/ch
Check my solution at OpenCPN Version 2.4 Beta Build 423. I am pretty certain that you're facing the same issue.
Old 13-05-2011, 09:20   #101

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by antxon View Post
Just arrived from second atlantic crossing using OCPN. Last leg from azores to the med heavily testing beta 2.4.506, so here is some feedback about the few issues I encountered (running under Vista):

-CM93 offset tool is also a great idea, anyway I observed that the behaviour differs from what is explained in OCPN manual. I could not see the way to set the offset graphically with the offset tool, only via the offset dialog. Maybe this is an intended change?

Antonio
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly,Antonio?Per "not set graphically with the tool,only with the dialogue"
Did you get a tool that I don't have on XP? That's not fair.I only have those teeny scroll arrows in the dialogue....?
Old 13-05-2011, 10:15   #102
Marine Service Provider

ChuckSK....

Any chance of getting a dump file for your autofollow-drag crash?

This link has some interesting ideas for Vista. I have not tried any of this.
Capturing Application Crash Dumps - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

and
Drwtsn32 on Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008/Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 - The troubleshooters and problem solvers... - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Thanks
Dave
Old 13-05-2011, 10:33   #103

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Thomas:

Its all in place and as it should be...

/ch
I'm on (K)Ubuntu 11.04 and I don't have your problem. But here is a possibility it's just a 32 bit problem. I'm on amd64.

Could you possibly attach the "CMakeLists.txt" that you are currently using?

Thomas
Old 13-05-2011, 10:52   #104

Boat: On the Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by balp View Post
After patching, /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindGTK2.cmake, adding the serach path where gtk2 is, it works really well.

find_path(${_var} ${_hdr}
PATHS
# fix for Ubuntu >= 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
# end fix for Ubuntu >= 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
/usr/local/lib64
Ok applied this manually as its just two lines and it works like a charm. This new version has some very nice features. Wow...this is getting better all the time.

So the patch works.

/ch
Old 14-05-2011, 07:51   #105

Fabbian,

Quote:
In fact, when you rotate the mouse wheel the point on the chart that is under the mouse pointer moves to the center of the screen...
Yes, that's the weird behaviour I talked about.

Quote:
...and subsequent mouse wheel rotations keep that point in the center of the screen. Don't try to follow the screen with the mouse pointer or it will jump around all over the place.
I'm not sure I agree with this: my experience is that subsequent wheel rotations keep that point (the one to be zoomed) only if you follow it from its original location in the screen to the new one in the center. Is it different for you? Wouldn't it be far more straightforward if the point of the chart under the mouse pointer were not centered in the screen, but kept in the same place, under the mouse, so continuous wheel rotation zoomed exactly that area? This is the standard way other software (i.e. Maxsea) does.
Antonio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: