Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 04:23   #46

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.4 Beta Build 310

Add GPX's lack of semantics to express that, stir a bit and you are going to buy a nice piece of rope and look for the nearest tree
I have a feeling that routepoints and trackpoints should not be shareable at all in contrary to waypoints (marks) where I actually like it a lot...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:27   #47

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Life test on board North Sea mMarch 22 2011

Windows XP SP3 and the current Beta 2.4.0310
Charts CM93 april 2010

Rendition of charts seems odd at certain scales
Rescaling and/or zooming in or out solved the erroneous display

See attached pictures

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	25391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	25392  

petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 16:45   #48

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: Life test on board North Sea mMarch 22 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermoree View Post
Rendition of charts seems odd at certain scales
Rescaling and/or zooming in or out solved the erroneous display
Could this be same bug as this one?
Old 23-03-2011, 02:04   #49

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
Re: Life test on board North Sea mMarch 22 2011

No I do not think that this is the same bug

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 07:08   #50

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Add GPX's lack of semantics to express that, stir a bit and you are going to buy a nice piece of rope and look for the nearest tree
I have a feeling that routepoints and trackpoints should not be shareable at all in contrary to waypoints (marks) where I actually like it a lot...

Pavel
Here are some thoughts I've had on the subject of editing routes and waypoints and the user interface. They're not far enough along to be a mature proposal, just a starting point for discussion.

1. Don't allow objects to be moved by a simple click and drag operation. Reserve that for panning the charts. There have been several feature requests to make it harder to accidentally move points. This would solve that problem.

2. To edit an object, right-click on it. Select "Edit" from the context menu. While in edit mode the object or any of its parts can be dragged. To exit edit mode, right-click and select "Edit complete" from the context menu. "Edit complete" is the only option on the context menu while in edit mode.

3. If multiple objects are stacked on a location the context menu lists them. "All" is one of the choices on the list. That allows the user to decide if all routes passing through a point are to follow the point to its new location. Once the object is selected the range of actions is offered.

4. When a waypoint is created (Drop Mark Here) use the latitude and longitude (e.g. 27 41.234N 82 32.334W) as a default name. If the user doesn't have time to open the Route Manager and rename it right away it will make it easier for him to find later. It also makes it easier to find the correct waypoint in the list if several have been created without being renamed.

5. When a route is created use the latitude and longitude of the starting point and ending point (e.g. 27 41.234N 82 32.334W to 27 42.323N 82 29.332W) as a default name. Also use the latitude and longitude of the start and end points of the route as default entries in the "Depart From" and "Destination" fields.

Comments?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 11:45   #51
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

I whole heartedly agree with locking the way points, marks etc.

But I want a mode that lets me move them easily.

Let's say I have a route from Charleston to Augusta. I have it going down the left side of channels, on the right side of the river. Now I am going back to Charleston, so I copy and reverse the route. I scan along the route and make any needed adjustments to put the points back on the correct side. Much of this is just gab a point, shift it slightly and then go to the next. If I have to do a right click, choose edit for each one, it'll be painful.

Basically, in something like "route edit" mode, I should be able to edit like we do now.

You could additionally add an "undo" button.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 12:30   #52

Boat: Phantom 19

Fabbian, Dan...
re locking, isn't the Lock all waypoints unless a waypoint property dialog is visible option in the toolbox Etc. tab enough?
It always did the job for me on bumpy water and in the living room I'm personally happy when everything is unlocked all the time.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 23:03   #53

Quote:
Fabbian, Dan...
re locking, isn't the Lock all waypoints unless a waypoint property dialog is visible option in the toolbox Etc. tab enough?
It always did the job for me on bumpy water and in the living room I'm personally happy when everything is unlocked all the time.

Pavel
I haven't tried that. My suggestions were directed more towards the issues of how to handle shared waypoints and route points and stacked objects. Solving the accidental moving of objects is just an incidental benefit.

If you lock waypoints unless a waypoint property dialog is visible, how does that affect editing routes? With my suggestion, you could right-click on a route, enter edit mode, and then adjust all the points in that route. (I think that answer's your issue, Dan, doesn't it?) Can you do that with the Lock all waypoints unless a waypoint property dialog is visible option in the toolbox Etc. tab?
Old 27-03-2011, 11:05   #54

Quote:
Fabbian, Dan...

Pavel
Well, I tried the Lock all waypoints unless a waypoint property dialog is visible option. It makes the user interface inconsistent. The waypoint property dialog is unique in allowing focus to be shifted from the dialog box to the underlying chart. If you edit all the waypoints in a route, then cancel the waypoint property dialog the waypoint which was used to open the dialog box snaps back to its original position but the others don't. Again, an inconsistency in the user interface. I understand it was conceived as a quick fix to prevent accidentally moving waypoints but I think it's time to revisit it.

Fabbian