Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05   #76

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Possible Bug
The chart is "Jupiter Inlet to Fowey Rocks", file name "1146_3.KAP". I read the header file with notepad. It has a header and binary section. The header contains a parameter called SK=skew. The parameter is set to SK=270.0000000 which explaines the problem. Now how do I correct this?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:40   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciek View Post
Hello.
I don't have experience with programing under linux system (ubuntu 10.04). Could you give me a pice of advice which IDE platform will be the best to compilation and make changes in opencpn sources, and how can i create IDE project with opencpn sources. Thank you for help.
Greetings
Real programmers use only cat and octal codes to create binaries.

Seriously now, Netbeans and Jboss are free IDEs, try loading them. As to how to create a project, RTFM will work: you'll have to get a tutorial from either.

IMHO, for this kind of thing the best IDE is vi and make.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19   #78

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Re: Possible Bug
The chart is "Jupiter Inlet to Fowey Rocks", file name "1146_3.KAP". I read the header file with notepad. It has a header and binary section. The header contains a parameter called SK=skew. The parameter is set to SK=270.0000000 which explaines the problem. Now how do I correct this?
Dave & wdkester.

Looks like a bug to me with the skewed strip charts along the Florida Coast. With North up set they are aligned so you can read the text.
Clicking the North up / Course up toggle button aligns the chart North South (the arrow does not change to blue though) while the Toolbox indicates course up, with no gps connected.

See screen dump of 11489_2. Toolbox indicates north up, button indicates course up!!!

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollover1.png
Views:	168
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	19155  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:24   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciek View Post
Hello.
I don't have experience with programing under linux system (ubuntu 10.04). Could you give me a pice of advice which IDE platform will be the best to compilation and make changes in opencpn sources, and how can i create IDE project with opencpn sources. Thank you for help.
Greetings
It is so easy to compile source in Linux so there is really no need for an IDE to do that. Check out Compiling the Source in Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage for a quick run down on compiling OpenCPN. For minor projects, changing a few things, just use gedit, that comes with Ubuntu, and then recompile.
If you want to keep track of the whole project there is an advantage with an IDE. I suspect that all major IDE:s available are OK. OpenCPN, using C++ and WxWidgets, is pretty much main stream after all. I know that KDevelop is used by a major contributor to OpenCPN, so why not give it a try...? As been said before, to learn an IDE, there are very few shortcuts, you just have to dig into the friendly manual, available tutorials, and built in guides.
Good Luck!
I'm looking forward to see your contributions, to this great project.

Thomas
Old 12-09-2010, 10:34   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It is so easy to compile source in Linux so there is really no need for an IDE to do that. Check out Compiling the Source in Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage for a quick run down on compiling OpenCPN. For minor projects, changing a few things, just use gedit, that comes with Ubuntu, and then recompile.
If you want to keep track of the whole project there is an advantage with an IDE. I suspect that all major IDE:s available are OK. OpenCPN, using C++ and WxWidgets, is pretty much main stream after all. I know that KDevelop is used by a major contributor to OpenCPN, so why not give it a try...? As been said before, to learn an IDE, there are very few shortcuts, you just have to dig into the friendly manual, available tutorials, and built in guides.
Good Luck!
I'm looking forward to see your contributions, to this great project.

Thomas
Thanks I hope I can manage with this challange and maybe I can add something interesting to this project.
Maciek
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Dave & wdkester.

Looks like a bug to me with the skewed strip charts along the Florida Coast. With North up set they are aligned so you can read the text.
Clicking the North up / Course up toggle button aligns the chart North South (the arrow does not change to blue though) while the Toolbox indicates course up, with no gps connected.

See screen dump of 11489_2. Toolbox indicates north up, button indicates course up!!!

Thomas
Additional info: It seems that if I wait long enough the background (route and chart outlines) resolve to a north up attitude and the "Jupiter Inlet to Fowey Rocks" chart rotate to 270 deg like the Skew parameter indicates.

I think that when I made the screen shopts there were a number of routes imported that I subsequently deleted. If you have very many routes (and especially tracks) performance slows down
Old 12-09-2010, 11:24   #82

KDevelop works perfectly, thanks again
Maciek
Old 12-09-2010, 16:15   #83
Marine Service Provider

David Kester/Cagney.....

Two problems here:

1. My 1996 edition of 11466_3.kap has SKew=0. It displays correctly.
David, What is your edition date? Maybe you need a NOAA update?

2. Cagney Re interpretation of toolbar button: I see the confusion here. I need to read the code some more and get back to you on this. I am confused , too, and I designed it What was I thinking? There are many permutations of course-up, north-up, and BSB naturally skewed up.

Dave

p.s. I use Kdevelop with custom wxWidgets libraries so that I can trace into them as needed, and with no optimizations turned on for pure code stepping.
Old 12-09-2010, 18:02   #84

Possible Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
David Kester/Cagney.....

Two problems here:

1. My 1996 edition of 11466_3.kap has SKew=0. It displays correctly.
David, What is your edition date? Maybe you need a NOAA update?

2. Cagney Re interpretation of toolbar button: I see the confusion here. I need to read the code some more and get back to you on this. I am confused , too, and I designed it What was I thinking? There are many permutations of course-up, north-up, and BSB naturally skewed up.

Dave

p.s. I use Kdevelop with custom wxWidgets libraries so that I can trace into them as needed, and with no optimizations turned on for pure code stepping.
I'm using Ed 38 updated 20080601. I must be using too recent a version. There must be some way to edit the header.

Dave II
Old 12-09-2010, 19:58   #85
Marine Service Provider

Dave II...

This is an excerpt from the BSB header of 11466_3.KAP that I just (tonight) downloaded from NOAA.

Code:
BSB/NA=JUPITER INLET TO FOWEY ROCKS,NU=349,RA=3255,10033,DU=254
KNP/SC=80000,GD=NAD83,PR=MERCATOR,PP=-26.6,PI=10.000,SP=,SK=0.0000000
    TA=90.0000000,UN=FEET,SD=MEAN LOWER LOW WATER,DX=8.00,DY=8.00
KNQ/EC=RF,GD=NARC,VC=UNKNOWN,SC=MLLW,PC=MC,P1=UNKNOWN,P2=26.600
    P3=NOT_APPLICABLE,P4=NOT_APPLICABLE,GC=NOT_APPLICABLE,RM=POLYNOMIAL
CED/SE=38,RE=03,ED=06/01/2008
Does this match your BSB header?

Dave
Old 13-09-2010, 07:52   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Dave II...

This is an excerpt from the BSB header of 11466_3.KAP that I just (tonight) downloaded from NOAA.

Code:
BSB/NA=JUPITER INLET TO FOWEY ROCKS,NU=349,RA=3255,10033,DU=254
KNP/SC=80000,GD=NAD83,PR=MERCATOR,PP=-26.6,PI=10.000,SP=,SK=0.0000000
    TA=90.0000000,UN=FEET,SD=MEAN LOWER LOW WATER,DX=8.00,DY=8.00
KNQ/EC=RF,GD=NARC,VC=UNKNOWN,SC=MLLW,PC=MC,P1=UNKNOWN,P2=26.600
    P3=NOT_APPLICABLE,P4=NOT_APPLICABLE,GC=NOT_APPLICABLE,RM=POLYNOMIAL
CED/SE=38,RE=03,ED=06/01/2008
Does this match your BSB header?

Dave
No my header had SK=270.000000; but I have downloaded the current version which has SK=0 and all is OK. You have to do a full database rebuild to get rid of the red slash (meaning skewed chart) on the chart status bar. Thanks for the help
Old 13-09-2010, 08:01   #87
Marine Service Provider

Dave II...

Glad to help. Wonder how this happened? Anybody else see this problem?

Dave
Old 13-09-2010, 08:50   #88

Dave

Thinking about this "skewed" question, I don't think it was ever discussed how North Up/Course Up/Skewed should be handled.

Suggestion.
1.All charts are always by default shown North Up.
2. Introduce a new tick-box "skewed up" in ToolBox -> Settings.
When this is ticked, Skew Up replaces North Up, for charts where SK.abs >= 1. The North Up / Course Up toggle button becomes a Skew Up/Course Up, for this kind of charts, with the box ticked.

Thomas
Old 13-09-2010, 10:31   #89
Marine Service Provider

Thomas....

How about a slight tweak:

1. Default mode for skewed charts is "natural", or skewed-up.
2. new Toolbox->Settings tick box for "Show skewed charts as North-Up"
3. Arrow button is always red for course-up, blue otherwise. Always points north. This is a change from current behavior.

Comments: I like skewed charts to show as drafted. Easier to read, and they render a lot faster, and look better with default low definition rotation code.

We could enable hi definition rotation of skewed charts to north-up if the box (2 above) is ticked. Would be slower, but OK if not default. User choice....

Comments?
Dave
Old 13-09-2010, 10:55   #90

Dave

Your "tweaks" seems perfectly alright to me.
High def or not ? Give it a try, after all, it's a beta!

Thomas
Closed Thread