Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2010, 19:10   #286
Marine Service Provider

TinyXP

janp391....

Could we see your logfile?

Documents and Settings/{user}/Application Data/opencpn/opencpn.log

Thanks
Dave
Old 27-04-2010, 19:49   #287
Marine Service Provider

RouteManager

SurfJoe...

I cannot reproduce the problem with RouteProperties/Manager.
Any more information?
Anyone else having trouble here?

Thanks
Dave
Old 27-04-2010, 22:30   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Manimaul...

Color scheme for eclipsed charts sounds OK, I'll try it out.

What were you thinking of regarding fast way of selecting quilt chart types? Something easier than Toolbox->Settings check boxes already there?

Maybe some little blue/green/brown check boxes near the right-hand side of the chartbar?

I agree that we need a stronger "eye" icon effect.

Thanks
Dave
The color scheme may fix the need for a stronger "eye" icon effect. Since we will only have darker visible "eyes" on light colors and contrastly lighter hidden "eyes" on dark colors". We will have to see how it feels.

As for the chart type in quilt selection... I think there is a way to make this easier than the check boxes already in Toolbox-->Settings. First off, I think we can get rid of the scale in and scale out buttons in quilt mode? Perhaps replace those two scale buttons with a chart type quick selection button that has a checkbox context menu when pressed. If this sounds good, I can design the icon(s) for it.
Old 28-04-2010, 00:24   #289

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
SurfJoe...
I cannot reproduce the problem with RouteProperties/Manager.
Any more information?
Anyone else having trouble here?
Thanks
Dave
Dave,
tested here on w2k8 and can confirm a mysterious behavior depending on whether the routes are named or not...
For this testing scenario I created 4 new short routes with 2 to 5 waypoints
* Until I name any of the routes, everything seems ok
* When I name the last of the routes, the first in the list doesn't display the name (Unnamed route) anymore and an erroneous behavior starts to be observed:
the program thinks that the line above the one with visual focus is actually selected (selecting the 4th route and clicking properties shows properties of the 3rd route etc. and clicking on properties of the first line shows the last route...)
* Naming more routes or other than the last one makes the behavior even more fuzzy and hard to describe with more lines not showing the name anymore and not being able to show properties of some routes at all

When I manage to delete the names from the route, everything is ok again, so perhaps some sorting issue?

Pavel
Old 28-04-2010, 01:03   #290

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Sorry to bore you with my less than qualified ideas, I was just thinking couldn't the chart switching buttons be simultaneously active to affect the mix (thereby avoiding the need for more buttons) - so instead of switching from blue to brown, clicking on brown whilst blue is pressed/active means both are active simultaneously (but raises brown to top), clicking on a third = all three, clicking on a previously activated button removes the type/chart from the mix.

This could also be differentiated using the mouse buttons - right clicking on chart type bar to activate/deactivate the type and left to raise the chart (type) clicked on or vice-versa.

I would also like to plead for an MOB button to replace the "red x", it's one of the more popular requests and would raise the MOB function's profile, it's currently a bit of an easter egg

Thanks for your attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
As for the chart type in quilt selection... I think there is a way to make this easier than the check boxes already in Toolbox-->Settings. First off, I think we can get rid of the scale in and scale out buttons in quilt mode? Perhaps replace those two scale buttons with a chart type quick selection button that has a checkbox context menu when pressed. If this sounds good, I can design the icon(s) for it.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:00   #291

Boat: Phantom 19
Another vector quilting regression

Hi Dave,
found another problem with quilting for ENC and CM93:
When overzooming "below TrueScale zero" with quilting on, I get the following unhanlded exception and a then crash after a couple of seconds. If I'm fast enough to hit Ignore and zoom out again, the program keeps running. The amount of zooms it takes varies on different charts - perhaps it takes some steps to reach a division by zero? Nothing in the log.
Anyway, shouldn't there be a minimum for TrueScale as anything close to zero doesn't make much sense?

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overzoom_crash.png
Views:	137
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	15682  
Old 28-04-2010, 08:33   #292

Quote:

TMerc/Merc:
Forgot to mention this in release notes. Current strategy for 426 Beta is to quilt the canvas in a single projection only. The canvas takes the projection of the largest scale chart available at this viewpoint.
Dave
Hi Dave, sorry but I still think that rendering of TMerc maps in OCPN is simply not working in quilting mode. Nothing to deal with the presence of Merc and TMerc in the same viewpoint: even with the presence of a single TMerc chart the rendering is wrong (i.e. the mouse coordinates does not match with the chart coordinates).

Just to confirm that Merc and TMerc can cohexist, in principle, here is a screenshot of Polar View quilting a Merc and a TMerc chart rather well.

Ciao, Marco.

NOTE for PolarView Users and Developers: Polar View does not load maps that cross 180° lon and there is an unknown problem with NZ845_3. This is a 1:1000 chart, the highest scale chart in New Zealand portfolio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PV-Quilt1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	15685  
Old 28-04-2010, 09:11   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Sorry to bore you with my less than qualified ideas, I was just thinking couldn't the chart switching buttons be simultaneously active to affect the mix (thereby avoiding the need for more buttons) - so instead of switching from blue to brown, clicking on brown whilst blue is pressed/active means both are active simultaneously (but raises brown to top), clicking on a third = all three, clicking on a previously activated button removes the type/chart from the mix.
Phillip,

I think you are on to something here.

Dave,

I've been mulling over this quilting chart bar stuff. I think one of the things everyone likes about opencpn is its simplicity and control in single chart mode. This is much like real life with paper charts where you're only looking at one at a time. The only down side to single chart mode, as you know, is when the edge of the chart is in the center of the screen.

So, here is a proposal that may be superior to the whole shown/hidden mechanism. Which, after playing with for a while, may be more confusing than beneficial for most people.

Proposal: Single chart, quilted background.
1. Chart bar will function exactly the same as in single chart mode.
2. Beyond the navicable chart boundaries of the selected chart is were we will employ the quilt.
3. Quilt background will prefer selected chart type over another type (So if your selected chart is BSB, the background will be BSB if BSB is available.)

Benefits:
1. Simplicity of use
2. Removes the need for advanced quilting algorythm
3. Keeps scale in and out button function
4. Eleminates the need for both quilted/single modes since you will have all the benefits of single mode in this new quilted mode.

Thoughts?
Old 28-04-2010, 09:38   #294

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post

Just to confirm that Merc and TMerc can cohexist, in principle, here is a screenshot of Polar View quilting a Merc and a TMerc chart rather well.
Marco, judging from this post by "brak" http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post401693
what you see in PolarView is probably not quilting between merc and tmerc charts. What you see is probably a reprojected tmerc, in normal merc quilting.
Brak, is that a correct assumption?

Thomas
Old 28-04-2010, 10:07   #295

Quilting between tmerc charts seems to work OK. I have tested both NZ and Swedish charts, with hardly any glitches.

While checking Swedish charts I could not avoid noting, that these commercial BSB 2 charts state that SD=MEAN LOW WATER (quite meaningless without a noticeable tide), while the chart itself states that the chart datum is Mean Sea Level. In the Balitc Sea and adjacent waters it's not unusual to experience sea levels lower than those stated in the chart.

Thomas
Old 28-04-2010, 10:24   #296

Crash!
Situation: Raster charts loaded in quilt mode, only quilting raster charts. In the chart tab, I then deleted the raster directory and only load CM93. When loading is finished, the screen comes up all black, as there are no raster charts to quilt. I then hit F9 to get out of quilt-mode and display CM93 charts. The crash occurs when hitting F9.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cm96.png
Views:	172
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	15686  
Old 28-04-2010, 11:33   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Quilting between tmerc charts seems to work OK. I have tested both NZ and Swedish charts, with hardly any glitches.
Thomas
Thomas, are you sure that placing the mouse on a lat/lon cross point of the TMerc chart the lat/lon shown by OCPN is the right one? Note that OCPN shows the right lat/lon only if you put the crossing on the exact center of the screen. As soon as you move this crossing point away panning the map, the lat lon of the cross will be wrong.

This is even more evident if you put a mark on the cross and then you move the chart. The mark will not be anymore where you placed it.

This happens only in quilt mode and only for TMerc. Let me know.

Ciao, Marco.
Old 28-04-2010, 12:46   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
Thomas, are you sure that placing the mouse on a lat/lon cross point of the TMerc chart the lat/lon shown by OCPN is the right one? Note that OCPN shows the right lat/lon only if you put the crossing on the exact center of the screen. As soon as you move this crossing point away panning the map, the lat lon of the cross will be wrong.

This is even more evident if you put a mark on the cross and then you move the chart. The mark will not be anymore where you placed it.

This happens only in quilt mode and only for TMerc. Let me know.

Ciao, Marco.
No I'm not sure.
I did a very quick check, concentrating more on how the charts stitched together. I'll test more in line with your suggestions later. Thanks for pointing this out.

Thomas
Old 28-04-2010, 19:36   #299
Marine Service Provider

Will....

Let me see if I understand your proposal.

1. SC Mode chart bar stays.
2. Bar entries exist only for charts containing the center point of the screen, as in current SC Mode.
3. canvas area outside of the PLY boundaries of the selected chart are quilted with smaller scale charts of the same type until the screen is covered, if possible.
4. Charts of larger scale than the selected chart are not shown at all.

Seems like sort of a hybrid, which may do the expected thing without a complicated UI.

However, item 4 is clearly different from expectations, I think. When quilting, we "expect" to see larger scale "postage stamp" chartlets embedded within a covering small scale chart. Are these useful? They sure are expensive....

Is it worth prototyping? Dunno...

One issue remains: How to remove a chart from the quilt, either permanently or temporarily? In some chart kits there are small scale planning charts which are useless for actual navigation, and one wants them to never be shown in quilt mode, but be available in SCM.
In this proposal, there may be no way to select the offending chart, since it does not exist in the bar. Context Menu, maybe?

Commercial Products (RPCE, for instance) use a "Chart Table", where individual charts can be disabled from quilting. Yet another complicated dialog with thumbnails, context menus, etc.....

Anybody else got any input on this design issue? I'd rather not code to moving target.

Thanks
Dave
Old 28-04-2010, 19:45   #300
Marine Service Provider

Route Manager sorting problem....

All...

See Post 289

This problem seems to exist in Windows builds only.
Any confirmation?

Thanks
Dave
Closed Thread