Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 12:06   #991
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
Hi Pavel,

I have 2 files attached one with paper chart option and one with simplified mode on. I hope you find something to solve this. In the files look at the buoys they have no color even in simplified mode. This is on a Ubuntu 10.04 64b box. The rastering works fine on a Winxp box.

Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paper.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	17255   Click image for larger version

Name:	simplified.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	17256  

__________________

__________________
jan ter laak is offline  
Old 21-06-2010, 13:59   #992
Registered User
 
Rik-lu's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Boat: HR40
Posts: 196
Images: 2
version 620
win2000 and winxp-sp3

057 21.441 N , 017 09.159 E

please look at the 2.5 meter undeep and the bouy on the right side,
the undeep is normally only shown as (X), just when I changed display mode before from simplified to paperchart mode the "2.5" is visible






now I close the programm and restart it: the undeep place 2.5 m is now shown as X and the form of the east bouy changed.


now simplified mode :


I restart the programm: there is an X too now instead of 2.5 meter



and the shape of the east bouy changes after restart on follwing two screenshots:
also I do not understand why there are no dephts on this screen ??? I think , this screenshot was made after changing display mode before new start of the programm.


after newstart:



I used simplified display style but somewhere in the forum I read today that the simplified mode is less developed so far.

What I dont like on the paperchart mode is, that I cannot distinguish between port and starboard bouy by its shape, just by colour. if there is much light around I cannot distinguish between port and starboard bouy.
In simplified you have a sqare or a triangle, thats why I preferred it.
I would be happy if you could change the shape in paperchart mode also to some sort of triangle for green and square for red.
__________________

__________________
Hi from Rik
Rik-lu is offline  
Old 21-06-2010, 15:21   #993
Senior Cruiser
 
sailorF54's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perros-Guirec, France
Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
SailorF54...

Can you give me a lat/lon reference for this area you are studying?

Thanks
Dave
47° 34 N
2° 49 W
South Brittany - France

Thanks to YOU, Dave (and the rest of the team), for OpenCpn
__________________
sailorF54 is offline  
Old 21-06-2010, 21:50   #994
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,877
Status

1. cm93 quilting at Gulf of Morbihan.
Reproduced and understood. Build 620 tries to fill any cm93 blank spaces by quilting in chart cells of exactly one step smaller than the main, or "reference" chart. In the case of Morbihan at scale 29900, the reference chart is cm93 scale "E". You can check this in Single Chart Mode by looking at the chart info box visible on the bar rollover. The adjacent area to the north is not covered by scale "D", so Build 620 shows "NODATA". One must skip to cm93 scale "C" to get the expected coverage to the north.

I have built new code to quilt cm93 by stepping down in scale, step by step, until the viewport (screen) is completely covered, in the same manner as BSB charts are quilted. Usually, one step will do the job. In some places, it takes more. This will always complete satisfactorily, since eventually one gets to "A" scale, which is continuous worldwide.

Theoretically, there should be some performance penalty. I see no perceptible change, so we will include this tweak.

2. Paper/Simplified switch.
Reproduced and understood. Build 620 does not properly update its internal structures after changing the display properties in the Toolbox. He does, however, do the right thing on program startup. Easy fix.
Regarding the "undeep" (btw, what a perfect transliteration!)
It will show as Isolated Danger Symbol (magenta cross) as long as the "valsou" attribute of the WRECK (2.5 m) is less than the stipulated "Safety Depth". If you set your "Safety Depth" to 2 m, then the undeep becomes a swept depth area, as expected.

Thanks for this input. Real improvements!

Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now  
Old 22-06-2010, 00:12   #995
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-lu View Post
I used simplified display style but somewhere in the forum I read today that the simplified mode is less developed so far.
Yes, this info comes from me and will be true at least until paper chart (which is generally much more popular as far as I can tell) is satisfactory complete. Of course it doesn't mean it is useless.
Quote:
What I dont like on the paperchart mode is, that I cannot distinguish between port and starboard bouy by its shape, just by colour. if there is much light around I cannot distinguish between port and starboard bouy.
In simplified you have a sqare or a triangle, thats why I preferred it.
I would be happy if you could change the shape in paperchart mode also to some sort of triangle for green and square for red.
Technically we could of course. But we will not. The paper chart mode is about showing the shapes and colors of the buoys and it is defined in the IHO standard, so we will keep displaying the shapes of objects. If the chart says, there are spar buoys on both sides of the channel, you will always see spars on both sides... If you don't like this behavior, you have to use simplified mode (with all the disadvantages it's simplicity brings at the other hand), if you want simplified mode to be better, fix it or at least report bugs it has

Pavel
__________________
nohal is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 06:06   #996
Registered User
 
Rik-lu's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Luxembourg
Boat: HR40
Posts: 196
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post

Technically we could of course. But we will not. The paper chart mode is about showing the shapes and colors of the buoys and it is defined in the IHO standard, so we will keep displaying the shapes of objects.

Pavel
ok Pavel, thank you for your comment !

Another feature question is an automatic grid with on/off switch in the toolbox.
So that it always shows at least one or two latitude lines and 1 to 5 longitude lines with the the indication like 77°00 N and 15°00 E on the line.
this grid should change while zooming so that at large scale it shows only 50°, 60° or 70° and at small scales the minutes.

The grid could make it faster and easyer to find a place or if you want to compare with a paper chart or drawing.
If this grid would be also visible when I use the print option, the printed charts would be useful as backup if all electric systems failed.
__________________
Hi from Rik
Rik-lu is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 07:49   #997
Registered User
 
BluegillBoy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago summers, gulf during winters
Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
1. cm93 quilting at Gulf of Morbihan.
Reproduced and understood. Build 620 tries to fill any cm93 blank spaces by quilting in chart cells of exactly one step smaller than the main, or "reference" chart. In the case of Morbihan at scale 29900, the reference chart is cm93 scale "E". You can check this in Single Chart Mode by looking at the chart info box visible on the bar rollover. The adjacent area to the north is not covered by scale "D", so Build 620 shows "NODATA". One must skip to cm93 scale "C" to get the expected coverage to the north.

I have built new code to quilt cm93 by stepping down in scale, step by step, until the viewport (screen) is completely covered, in the same manner as BSB charts are quilted. Usually, one step will do the job. In some places, it takes more. This will always complete satisfactorily, since eventually one gets to "A" scale, which is continuous worldwide.

Theoretically, there should be some performance penalty. I see no perceptible change, so we will include this tweak.


Dave
Does this also affect the behavior of S-57 charts published by NOAA? For example, using the Lake Michigan ENCs, there's a black stripshown when quilting across Lake MI just south of Kewaunee WI. Clicking on this area changes some areas to display charts, changing scale also turns some on. There's a small section in the middle of the lake that never displays a chart and clicking/changing scale on this area several times ultimately throws it out of quilting mode unexpectedly.

Just wondering if the two are related, and if your CM93 fix will fix the S-57 issue too.

thanks

blu
__________________
BluegillBoy is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 09:21   #998
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,877
blu....

The proposed change affects only cm93.

I'd like to learn more about your quilting issues in Lake Michigan. Any locations/screenshots you could share?

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now  
Old 22-06-2010, 09:34   #999
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,877
oem...

Got the charts. They are nice. I cannot induce any fault, yet.

Any chance of finding a repeatable fault condition on your system?

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now  
Old 22-06-2010, 10:00   #1000
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,877
OEM....

Update: I see that some of the charts have corrupt line index. Opencpn seems to be properly removing these charts from the useful list as they are encountered. Still no hang or crash.

Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now  
Old 22-06-2010, 10:24   #1001
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
OEM....

Update: I see that some of the charts have corrupt line index. Opencpn seems to be properly removing these charts from the useful list as they are encountered. Still no hang or crash.

Dave
As mentioned, - I have only seen two ways of getting the crash:
1) Repeatedly starting and exiting Ocpn.
2) After successfully starting and showing quilted maps panning and zooming around for some time (usually not very long, but not necessarily every time the program starts.)

I'll give it some more attempts right after this message..

I'm not sure how to 'cure' a corrupt line index? With the bsbfix-utility? and I don't know how a corrupt line index is created either, - all charts were created with the tif2bsb-utilities and descriptions.

And again, - the charts worked fine in earlier OCPN-versions..
__________________
oem is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 10:32   #1002
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem View Post
I'll give it some more attempts right after this message..
My very first attempt gave a crash. attached log and ini-file and also the frozen screen, showing my 'position', if that helps.
__________________
oem is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 10:36   #1003
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
Attachments, sorry I forgot them..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash_1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	17269  
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (2.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (2.5 KB, 30 views)
__________________
oem is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 10:51   #1004
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
Here's my second crash showing a 'no start'/blank-screen.

After renaming the ini and logfiles I start from scratch indicating a folder and rebuilding the chart database, and also setting the 'quilt'-mark. Log file shows how many times I started the program, the final attempt gave the crash with blank screen.

I should add, that I normally test the program with a position around what is indicated in the screen in the above message, e.g. quilting the SK_BRJNG.KAP and the S_157_25000.KAP, but sometimes panning outside the S_157_25000 and zooming in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash_2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	17272  
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (2.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (14.1 KB, 24 views)
__________________
oem is offline  
Old 22-06-2010, 11:01   #1005
oem
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vejle, Denmark
Boat: Vindų 995 ds
Posts: 133
I have 3 (at least) more crashes now, they might have something to do with having to rebuild the chart database after uploading and renaming the ini and log-file to .doc.

Renaming the ini-file means that it will be created again and thus be out of 'sync' with the chart database. I have assumed that the 'Rebuild chart database' would make the sync again.

Empty-ini-file/out-of-sync-with-the-chart-database-crash is not THE problem, but might confuse the troubleshooting of the original crash-issue.

At least what I think.. :-)
__________________

__________________
oem is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenCPN Version 1.3.5 Beta Technical bdbcat OpenCPN 544 24-03-2010 11:34
OpenCPN Version 1.3.6 Release bdbcat OpenCPN 32 30-01-2010 06:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.