Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2010, 21:21   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...

See Post 289

This problem seems to exist in Windows builds only.
Any confirmation?

Thanks
Dave
Running XP Pro and was able to duplicate the strange behavior. Plotted 4 routes and when they were "unnamed" no problems. When I went to name them - routes looked like they were deleted or missing and similar problems to Post 289 above.
Old 28-04-2010, 22:19   #302

Quote:
One issue remains: How to remove a chart from the quilt, either permanently or temporarily? In some chart kits there are small scale planning charts which are useless for actual navigation, and one wants them to never be shown in quilt mode, but be available in SCM.
In this proposal, there may be no way to select the offending chart, since it does not exist in the bar. Context Menu, maybe?
This is an interesting problem where the new, existing "quilt as layers" mechanism seems superior. If you will permit me to wobble here a bit... the new mechanism is starting to grow on me. I too would like to hear the opinion of the others on this.

Will
Old 28-04-2010, 23:54   #303

Boat: pilotboat 36
When I use CM 93 and BSB together in quilting mode it seames that BSB is winning most of the time. To make it less confusing I would like some way of choise of a preferred format. If I choose CM 93 as the preferred format, the other formats should only be shown if there is a newer or more detailled chart available. Another choise?
Another suggestion for a heading vektor going all the way within the shown chart if a NMEA compass is detected, shown in a different color than the COG/ SOG vector that off course should be maintained.
Perhaps the BSB prefference thing is only a problem in Europe, as allmost all recent charts is in BSB 4 format.

Michael
Old 29-04-2010, 05:47   #304

Hi people!

I'm a frequent user of OziExplorer, but I'm growing tired of it, in particular of running it in wine.

So I gave the beta a first try on Debian Lenny. As a developer, I'm kind of used to compile 3rd party stuff. I'd like to make a few comments.

1. Neither the README nor the INSTALL mention the sequence of tools needed to compile the sources. Only a web page does. It would be helpful to update these.

2. There is no explicit mention of pre-requisite packages, just a vague suggestions. I had to do some guessing trial and error until I had all the pre-requisites installed.

3. Aside of all the good reasons that make you include inside opencpn of the sources of external 3rd party stuff like GDAL, projections, etc, it would be a good idea to support (at least on linux) the option of using these tools from the OS, if installed. Normally the autonomous packages are more up-to-date that you could maintain on your own.

4. I imagine you've considered and discarded using "proj". It's a wonderful tool maintained by very talented people. Using it within opencpn would enable the use of any known projection. I realize that is not a small package (about 5MB), but it would be so cool to switch, say, between Mercator and gnomonic, or to mix Mercator and Lambert in the same page...

5. My opencpn beginner's luck allowed me to crash the program (v 426? I downloaded it yesterday from cvs) about 3 times in 10 minutes, but I wasn't saving cores or writing down what I did. I promise next time I'll send some useful data.

Congratulations for a gigantic task well done! If time permits, I'd like to give a hand in the future.
Old 29-04-2010, 06:23   #305

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
Design ideas

Here are two very quick mockups to show some ideas.

The first is some sort of drop-down menu listing all available maps for the current zone displayed. You can click each one to toggle display on/off.

The second is more of a design change. There could be a tool bar, on the right for example (that can be hidden) with a few tabs on the top that lets you choose to manage layers / routes / waypoints / whatever
The mockup is for the layer part. For now, we have:
- ENC text
- AIS
- Weather (with possible detail for each GRIB file)
- all maps available for the current zone displayed
- maybe also current & tides
With such solution, it'd be easy to swap up & down each map to enable/disable detail view, have a BSB detail chart over a CM93 background...
On that tool bar, you could also have a tab to display navigation data as Gippy does.

Dunno if these ideas fits to current design view. Particularly the fact that the interface should remain light & easy to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mockup1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	15701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mockup2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	15702  

Old 29-04-2010, 06:33   #306

Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
As a lurker, the "new method" for chart display sounds very interesting to me. If you guys feel that technically it has the potential to improve performance, the standardization of the viewing mode, particularly the "working chart" emphasis, sounds very attractive. I tend to focus on one chart to do the close in navigation and routing, then skim quickly across a long portion covered by several charts (and/or zoom in out and high levels to quickly get there) and then come back into "approach" chart zoom ranges to do the endpoint routing. Therefore your new idea seems to eliminate what could be unnecessary steps as well as possibly give a performance boost. I like it.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:29   #307

Boat: Dufour 35
Tmercs

I have tested Tmercs a bit more, and I can reproduce the problems that Marco mentions. The screendumps below shows how markers (check the triangles) jumps around depending on if quilting is on or of. The distance and directions they jump depends (partly) on where they are on the screen, in relation to screen center. When dragging a marker under the mouse, I have seen the marker just disappear. Markers can also disappear when panning around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmerc3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	15717   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmerc4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	15718  

Name:	tmerc5.png
Views:	211
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	15719   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmerc6.png
Views:	193
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	15720  

Old 29-04-2010, 13:38   #308
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Will....

Anybody else got any input on this design issue? I'd rather not code to moving target.

Thanks
Dave
In Nobeltec, right click and "Remove from quilt" or conversely "charts at this location" - something like that. You add/remove charts from the quilt during the planning stages (while you have a mouse). While navigating, you rarely need to change the chart selection, so the touchscreen buttons are fine, even though they are more work than using a mouse.

-dan
Old 29-04-2010, 14:12   #309

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
On 426 @ ubuntu 9.10, I can print to file (havent actually got a printer attached), with the following result

Edit: Just realised its a 4 mb file, won't bother uploading it here, looks like it worked anyhow.
Dave & idpnd

I have solved my Linux printing problem. It had nothing to do with OpenCPN. It boiled down to incompatibility between wx-printing and certain packages, alternatively incompatibility between different printing packages.

I had the following scary messages when running opencpn from the command line when pressing the print button (after removing duplicate lines)
Quote:
(opencpn:32712): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(opencpn:32712): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(opencpn:32712): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
(opencpn:32712): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(opencpn:32712): GnomePrint-CRITICAL **: gnome_print_filter_flush: assertion `GNOME_IS_PRINT_FILTER (f)' failed
(opencpn:32712): GnomePrint-CRITICAL **: gnome_print_filter_reset: assertion `GNOME_IS_PRINT_FILTER (f)' failed
(opencpn:32712): GnomePrint-WARNING **: Could not create filter from description 'GnomePrintFilterClip [ GnomePrintFilterMultipage ]': filter 'GnomePrintFilterClip' is unknown
(opencpn:32712): GnomePrint-WARNING **: Could not create filter from description 'GnomePrintFilterSelect': filter 'GnomePrintFilterSelect' is unknown
(opencpn:32712): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
(opencpn:32712): libgnomeprintui-CRITICAL **: gnome_print_layout_selector_load_filter: assertion `GNOME_IS_PRINT_FILTER (f)' failed
** (opencpn:32712): WARNING **: could not set the value of Settings.Document.Filter, node not found
** (opencpn:32712): WARNING **: could not set the value of Settings.Document.Filter, node not found
In the end, the approach that solved the problem was to uninstall the following packages:
Quote:
Completely removed the following packages:
libgnomeprint2.2-0
libgnomeprint2.2-data

Removed the following packages:
libgnomeprintui2.2-0
libgnomeprintui2.2-common
libgtkhtml3.8-15
libgtksourceview1.0-0
mysql-query-browser
python-gnome2-desktop
python-gnomeprint
python-gtksourceview
Pressing the print button now brings up a new, simpler user interface, no error messages, and.... it works!

Thomas
Old 30-04-2010, 00:26   #310

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
test 426 windows

Hi Dave , Manimaul ...

Many thanks for this version ! The new quilt management is excellent for me , and seams to works well !!

I have three remarques :
1) the pop up window showing charts status is very big for only one line and this line is unreadable . (see screen shot test1)
2)The eye color is almost invisible . may be another color ?, or an eye for visible and no eye for invisible ? , or an eye for visible and a cross for invisible ?....)
3) some time there is no cm93 chart bar whereas this is a cm93 which is currently displayed (see screen shot test2) . At this place there are two charts available : bsb 7068 1/150000 (currently invisible ) and cm93 1/20000

regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	15742   Click image for larger version

Name:	test2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	15743  

Old 30-04-2010, 05:26   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Hi Dave , Manimaul ...

Many thanks for this version ! The new quilt management is excellent for me , and seams to works well !!

I have three remarques :
1) the pop up window showing charts status is very big for only one line and this line is unreadable . (see screen shot test1)
2)The eye color is almost invisible . may be another color ?, or an eye for visible and no eye for invisible ? , or an eye for visible and a cross for invisible ?....)
3) some time there is no cm93 chart bar whereas this is a cm93 which is currently displayed (see screen shot test2) . At this place there are two charts available : bsb 7068 1/150000 (currently invisible ) and cm93 1/20000

regards
Jean Pierre
Thanks for the excellent input Jean.

1 - Looks like this is a bug in Windows ... I have the same problem on my Windows7 box... looks like you're on Vista. It is supposed to look like this:

2 - I agree and will give Dave a more contrasting icon.

3 - Yes, this is confusing. We've discussed this and are working on a fix that is less confusing.

Will
Old 30-04-2010, 06:24   #312

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Hi all.

Just downloaded 426 but I can not see any chart info box "eyes" ?
I am running Vista... any special keys to be activated?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OPENCPN-426.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	15747  
Old 30-04-2010, 07:07   #313

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
test 426 windows

Hi Dave , Manimaul

1) Manimaul
Many Thanks for your answer . I tested both on vista and XP .
The pop up you shown me seams very complete and readable . good!

2) A new small problem :
When opening opencpn with quilting disable and enabling it with F9 : The quilt manager line stay grey for a moment and if I click on it at that moment , I get a crash See screen shot test4 for the result in VC++ debug
(waiting a moment ( about 15 second on my laptop and every things become oK)

3) a very odd behavior : see screen shot test3 . Each click created a new boat ! I had the same behavior with 416 , but no time to report before . Not very easy to reproduce ..

best regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	test4.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	15748   Click image for larger version

Name:	test3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	15749  

Old 30-04-2010, 07:09   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Hi all.
Just downloaded 426 but I can not see any chart info box "eyes" ?
I am running Vista... any special keys to be activated?
You are in single chart mode... you can turn on quilting in the toolbox.

@Ptizef ...
Thanks for the compliment... Dave deserves all the credit here, I'm just here for moral support.
Old 30-04-2010, 07:42   #315

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Thanks Manimaul..

Having activated quilting for ALL chart types,only one .bsb chart is displayed and no brown indicator for my cm93 charts. Trying to pan and zoom results in a crash.
I then tried the total rebuild of the chatbase which also resulted in a crash when reaching my official Brazilian .bsb chart directory.
Switching off quilting brings all back to normal.