Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 23:27   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
OpenCPN v4 GPS Driver installation problems.

I have just upgrade my old computer that worked fine with OpenCPN v3.3 with my Furuno GP 37 wired with a USB plug.
I’m trying to replicate the same setup my new-ish a Panasonic Toughbook cf 31, in which I downloaded OpenCPN V4.00 and my charts.

The material changes are as follows my new computer is 64 bit instead of 32 bit and operating system is windows 7 pro instead of Windows XP pro. Also my Furuno GP 37 remains the same wired with a USB connector as before for the old computer.

Even though I down loaded two different GPS drivers I can’t get the drivers setup in my Driver Manager file.
I followed OpenCPN connecting instructions for the GPS from this link: Setting Up GPS | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Then downloaded the GPS driver from the instructions at link address in which I Download the latest driver from Prolific and also from USGlobalsat Corporate

In both cases I successfully opened the zip files and downloaded the Drives as per OpenCPN instructions on down loading GP drivers.
Searching on line just in case I can’t find a Driver for Furuno GP 37? (I’m guessing there supplied by an independent GPS driver provider like Prolific?)
The problem I’m experiencing is I can’t Furuno GP 37 data talking to OpenCPN navigation software because the drivers I installed will not load into the windows 7 pro Driver Manger File. Even though download was successful I can’t find the downloaded USB GPS Driver where it should be.
All solutions are welcome
Thank you for taking the time to read this note.

Kryg SV. Skoiern IV
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN v4 GPS Driver installation problems.

I checked the manual for the GP 37 and it seems to me that the GP37 output NMEA 183 direct from the connector on the back side. I assume you are using a rs232 to USB adaptor to connect to your usb port on the PC. You do not need any GPS driver, you need a windows 7 x64 bit driver for your rs232 to USB adapter. Try to identify the type of adapter you are using and install the driver for this adapter.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 15:25   #3

Petter

That is interesting revelation, Frankly I'm not sure what I how I setup the USB wiring as it was a few years ago when I installed the Furuno GP 37 to run on my oler computer.

I hope it is that simple. I will check thank you for the trouble of reading about my problem and the tip. I will let you know the out come.

Many thanks

Kryg
Old 06-05-2015, 20:58   #4

Hello Petter,

You’re advice is a 100% correct. I did not check the plug as the fog of time cleared, as your note reminded me a few years ago I had installed the RS 232 plug I could not easly check as it is hidden in a difficult wiring space that is runs at the back of the Nav table.

Instead it was easer then finding and checking plugs to just turned on the GS 37 plug in the USB to computer. Outcome; at first the Furuno GP 37 USB read as faulty. Then I search for the window 7 x 64 bit driver download on line so many diffrent drivers it was confusing to select the right one. Instead with everything running I then updated my computer drivers, the GP 37 USP connection was detected and automately fixed with the driver update.

Result now the GP 37 is sending the NMEA 183 data to OpenCPN thanks to your advice, problem solved
Big Thanks for your help, as I was beating a dead horse.looking for the best GPS driver to download!

Kryg SV. Skoiern IV
Old 28-05-2015, 11:41   #5

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Globalsat BR-355 GPS Mouse with PS2 Connector:
1. Works well with Dell Laptop Win7 and a special Globalsat PS2 to USB cord
2. Works well with Standard Horizon VHF/DSC when plugged into a PS2 connector with a special Globalsat PS/2 extension cable that has been wired to the NMEA IN (with a prebuilt 5vdc power for the GPS Puck).

The Globalsat BR-355 does not work with a Win 8.1 Surface Pro 3. I have tried installing and uninstalling various Prolific drivers, and even the Geolocation TCP which does not really try to make this type of connection.

I appears that I need to get a new connector cable at the very least. Scroll to the bottom.
http://usglobalsat.com/p-57-br-355.a...t/large/57.jpg
GlobalSat's very popular Serial GPS Receiver, the BR-355, is compatible with Windows 8 through the use of the new USB Cable Set (Part Number: 11-BR305-USB8) that is available here.

I may also need to get the newer version GPS Puck Globalsat 07-BR-355-S4 GPS
http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-07-B.../dp/B00AMAJFUO
along with the PS/2 to USB Connector BR-305-USB8
USGlobalSat Incorporated
which works with Win8.1

Should I do that so that I can also plug it into my Handmade PS/2 Connection to the VHF/DSC for location info?

Or should I just get a Br-353-S4-USB
http://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-3...obalsat+BR-353

OR should I consider Bluetooth GPS which would require less wiring etc. That would only provide GPS location to the laptop/tablet. I would need to use my current BR-355 and connectors to send GPS location to the VHF, etc.

PS: I believe when I get a Nmea-Seatalk Router, the GPS location sentences will be wired to and land on the Seatalk network via a Nmea IN that is available on the ST4000 Autopilot control head, and then GPS Location be sent to the Tablet / Laptop when translated from Seatalk to Nmea and sent via wifi. The same BR-355-S4 will also send location to the VHF/DSC.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 12:02   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Actually, now I realize that if I get something like the vYacht wifi, I can still use my present BR-355 PS2 plugged into my VHF/DSC and the Nmea IN on the ST60 Wheel and the Win8.1 machine will probably still get Nmea position information via vYacht wifi.

The only issue would be when I want to plug the older existing BR-355 directly into the Ps/2 to USB cord and use it directly on the Surface Pro 3 USB port -- because it will not work. For that I will need to purchase the newer BR-355-S4 and the BR-304-USB8 cord
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps, installation, opencpn