Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2010, 13:14   #1

OpenCPN Sync with GPS is Slow / Buggy

Hello.

I'm using a GPSMAP 60CSx with opencpn, running ubuntu 10. OpenCPN's sync with the GPS is slow - the lat / lng positions reported by OpenCPN become less and less accurate compared with the GPS once the program has begun running. It's hardly usable.

I've checked baud rate and toyed with a few other settings. Has anyone else had similar issues? I'm underway and have spotty internet access so may respond slowly.

Thanks!
eric.toupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 01:31   #2

I also experienced synchronization problems with GPS 72H connected via direct USB (Garmin Driver 2.3) due to 12V power supply outages (faulty contact inside cigarette lighter plug).

I did not want to fiddle too much with the software or computer setup underway, so I usually did not try to manipulate to resynchronize. Just powering down and restarting - PC and OCPN first, GPS second, got me back to shape in 2 minutes every time.

It was a nuisance, but not too serious. Worse was the 70MB of error messages in the log, and the trouble to stop this error stream...

Good luck,

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 09:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

eric.toupin....

I am not familiar with your GPS model.

What is the interface to the PC?

1. Serial through /dev/ttyS0?
2. Using USB-Serial converter?
3. USB native?
4. libgps/gpsd?

With this information we can clearly address the problem.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:49   #4

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a GPSmap 60CSx connected direct through USB and running through libgps. I had some trouble getting it to work at first, so am using one version older of OpenCPN (the last version) with Ubuntu 10. With the newest version of OpenCPN, LIBGPS wasn't an option and I wasn't able to sync at all.

I have a serial->usb converter that I have had no luck with.

The GPS syncs, places the marker on the maps accurately, then quickly (within seconds) becomes unusably inaccurate. XGPS works fine.

Thanks again,
Old 22-11-2010, 16:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Eric....

Thanks for the info.

Exactly which version of OpenCPN are you using? The reason I ask is that we fixed a problem similar to your report in a recent Beta version.

Related: You are having problems with libgps on the current Beta? Can you give more information here?

Thanks
Dave
Old 23-11-2010, 03:03   #6

Dave,

I'm using Version 2.1.0 Build 624a. When I use the newest version, Network LIBGPS doesn't show up as an option in the GPS dialogue, only Network GPSD - which didn't work for me. I switched to the older version to access the Network LIBGPS option.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 23-11-2010, 14:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

eric....

Version 2.1.624a is flawed regarding libgps syncronization. Known bug, solved in current Beta series, will be fixed in 2.3 release soon. No workaround for 2.1.624a. Sorry.

Why no libgps in your current Ubuntu setup with 2.2.1111?

Are you compiling from source? Or are you using the package download from the opencpn.org site?

May we see your log file with a run from 2.2.1111 that fails to find libgps? logfile is ~/opencpn.log. Please attach here.

Thanks
Dave
Old 03-12-2010, 15:15   #8

Fixed!

Dave,

Please excuse the late response, I've been on the water. The issue was fixed by using the latest stable beta. I originally downloaded the latest final version with which I ran into trouble, then moved back to an older version to try to gain the LIBGPS option. The beta version fixed the problem.

Thanks a ton for the responses, I'm good to go now!