Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 04:12   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Survey Plugin Depths and VentureFarther

I've been in touch with Jon Turgeon and the VentureFurther kap/depth system with survey depths is now operational. See a recent Mar Menor survey by Evergreen
https://www.venturefarther.com/mapOb...y.surveyId=169

OpenCPN Cruisers can now create an account and upload nema0183 depth data recorded using the VDR_pi to the VF servers to augment the worldwide kap files that are available.

Also Jon has set up a system with an API which OpenCPN can use in a plugin to make sharing of depth data and kap files more seamless and easier, but we need some good plugin programmers to take the project on!

John has an API he is ready to share with any programmer who can help! The plugin would enable easy download of kap files with available depths in the area of the screen.

Sean has already done a lot of this work in Weatherfax. See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2186583 What is needed is some improvements in handling kaps in the Opencpn interface and use of Jon's API to get the kap files from the website.

Eventually, it would be very nice to have a depth recorder, with various user settings and preferences, that can upload depth data when an internet connection is available. Much of this has been worked out by Pavel and Mike R. in the beta Survey plugin.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 06:36   #32

Incidently, I was just able to create four place markers on the VentureFurther website, similar to Squiddio. Those with an account can get a unique id number that would be used with the API to make creation of the placemarkers seamless, possibly similar to squiddio.

It does not hurt to have two website/plugins which are similar because they always offer very different features.

Squiddio - offers a blog and tracking, and sharing position with buddies, along with placemarks.

Venturefurther - offers kaps & depths, tracking and placemarks. The placemarks are not very extensive at this point. for an example. https://www.venturefarther.com/count....countryId=222

Opensource Marine Placemarkers are really the best approach. Garmin now has Active Captain and the Active Captain app no longer seems to work for me, although MxMariner does still work. Our entries and efforts which we shared are now under the control of Garmin. It is not difficult to predict what will happen next. We can thank Pavel, Sean and Bdbcat for keeping the standard for Opensource.
Old 28-07-2017, 11:47   #33

Boat: Tashiba 40

Although the API for marker creation is not there now, if there was interest in a plugin I could add one. The KAP API is a single HTTPS call with the coordinate, zoom, satellite provider, API key. Within SEAiq (navigation app) the user configures SEAiq to use Vf's API key. A simple double tap on a chart requests the satellite kap from VF. It then loads and displays it. Has to be the simplest/fastest way out there. It has been in production for about 3 years now and is responsible for about half of the 101,000 kaps created on VF.

VF's markers are limited now, I am really hopefully a better programmer than marketer. VF also does routes, which is fairly unique. Routes are markers are also available by GPX download, organized by country (this requires a database of spatial objects that defines all the land masses). This DB is not perfect but when I have internet I tweak it. Example, Vanuatu is a great cruising ground but not much commercial interest. Charts are poor and land mapping not great. I am working in VF define the forgotten islands.

VF will also do position reporting. I sort of see all these "navigation" features part of a whole, another example. Position reporting in VF can automatically know which country you are in because of the marker spatial DB. Soon, it will know when you are offshore (minor change but I am in Morocco now with poor internet). Why all this? You will have to trust me, I have some pretty cool features planned.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 00:00   #34

Boat: Tashiba 40

A bit off from depth recording but Rick mentioned that VF's marker database is not that extensive (true). Terry on Valhalla has sent me a bunch of markers in GPX files from an OpenCPN extract. VF has a GPX upload feature but given the number of markers I am helping Terry get them entered into VF. Right now I am working on the Philippines, and the number of markers is quickly growing (about 70 last evening).

Oh, one other thing. Although this topic started about the Survey Plugin I have moved more towards just using the VDR plugin. For a few reasons I think it is more appropriate for consolidation of soundings. As a side benefit it is also easier to use.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:26   #35

Thanks for noting that the VDR plugin is fine with VF.

Tags
depth, enc, opencpn, plug, survey