Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 16:19   #61

Boat: Najad 371 - SWE 58
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

Hi

first of all, I want to thank you for all job you are doing on this project, fantastic!

I just bought B&G 4G radome....havent connected it yet !

I installed the BR-plugin to Opencpn beta 3.3.1824 on XP

in OpenCPN under 'plugins'...the 'settings' doesnt high-lite (only activate button hilites)

and on the chart when I 'right-click', i cant see the text for radar-console

what do I do wrong ?
Gunga Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 23:36   #62

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Din View Post
in OpenCPN under 'plugins'...the 'settings' doesnt high-lite (only activate button hilites) and on the chart when I 'right-click', i cant see the text for radar-console what do I do wrong ?
Gunga.....
Nothing wrong from your side, I think.
I think The BR24Radar plugin initialisation is interrupted when no radar connection is found* and therefore the "Options" button is shaded even if the plugin is "Activated". (I'm not in boat but will check next time.)
Also the right click tools menu is not shown for the same reason.
But the BR24Radar icon is shown and it can even be shown twice.
If the above seems inconsistent I agree but for the time being I suggest the following work around:
-Connect the radar scanner (Power on and IP(UDP) connection established)
-Restart OCPN with the BR24Radar_pi activated.
Good luck/Håkan

*) The OCPN log file says:
07:45:01: Error: BR24radar_pi: Unable to create UDP sending socket
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 00:38   #63

Thanks Håkan !

I will be in my boat this weekend, so I'll try that ?

(found out last night, that if I install the Gradar plugin parallel with the BR24 plugin then it lits up !)
Old 18-07-2014, 11:07   #64

Boat: Ovni 385

Hej Gunga,

I have exactly the same problem. And I have researched it as far as I can. Description of the problem: It occurs on some systems and not on others. If the problem occurs the preferences button remains is not activated after enabling the plugin. Same message in the logfile: Error: BR24radar_pi: Unable to create UDP sending socket.
This error is independent of the connection of a radar. If it occurs on a system it is consistent and occurs with and without a radar connected. If the error does not occur you can use the preferences button and you will get the radar menu with the right mouse even when no radar is connected. This seems logical, before the socket is open the system can not even try to communicate with the radar.

Below a summary of my trials on various systems:

- Home computer, Win7, I7, 64 bit. 16 GB of memory. Problem occurs, with and without radar.

- Laptop (HP), Win 7, I3, 64 bit. 2 GB. No problem. Gives radar images on board.

- Old Dell Laptop. Win XP. No problem. Gives radar images.

- Ships computer, Geode processor, Win XP. No problem. Beautiful radar images around the ship. But this system is too slow to follow changes of HDT. So today I bought a new ships computer:

- New ships computer. Win7, 64 bit, I3, 8 GB. Problem occurs. So no use to install on board until a solution is found.

As I do not have a windows development environment, I can not further debug the code. A clue might be that the problem occurs so far on systems with more than 4 GB of mem. We need help, but I think Kees (merrimac) is on holiday.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 13:05   #65

Boat: Phantom 19

Douwe...
I can't imagine how the amount of memory could influence this in any way. To start collect and compare the
Code:
ipconfig /all
from all the machines. Then of course hang Wireshark to the interface where the radar is/should be and have a look what's passing there.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 14:38   #66

I've the same behaviour on my dated XP machine but not on my also dated W7 (both 2 Mb) OCPN 3.3.1911 on both.

On my XP without radar connection: In debug mode when clicking the BR24Radar activate button in the tools plugin manager.
A debug break occured in thread.h
Code:
544       // is the thread of detached kind?
-> 545    bool IsDetached() const { return m_isDetached; }
The VC10 debug error message is:
Code:
First-chance exception at 0x100283fa (wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll) in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcdcdcded.
Unhandled exception at 0x100283fa (wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll) in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcdcdcded.
This XP behaviour is for me new, but I can't tell if it's connected to OCPN or BR24Radar_pi version changes. I've run the radar plugin on this PC before both with and without the scanner connected.

As said Kees seems not available and this is beyond my knowledge.
Håkan
Old 18-07-2014, 14:52   #67

Boat: Phantom 19

Hakan...
This most likely means access to an uninitialized variable (the 0xcdcdcded magic value is filled by the MSVC compiler in debug mode to help detect that)
Is there nothing more than those two lines in the stack trace?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 05:01   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Hakan...
This most likely means access to an uninitialized variable (the 0xcdcdcded magic value is filled by the MSVC compiler in debug mode to help detect that)
Is there nothing more than those two lines in the stack trace?

Pavel
Well, yes but nothing unusual. The last repeating rows are from my "Continue" command instead of "Break".
Code:
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Builds\OpenCPN\OpenCPN\build\Debug\opencpn.exe', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.6002.22791_x-ww_c8dff154\GdiPlus.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comdlg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.6028_x-ww_61e65202\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winspool.drv', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxbase28ud_net_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2help.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxbase28ud_xml_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_html_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_adv_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_aui_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll\wxmsw28ud_gl_vc_custom.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\glu32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\psapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Builds\OpenCPN\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\Debug\br24radar_pi.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Builds\OpenCPN\OpenCPN\build\plugins\dashboard_pi\Debug\dashboard_pi.dll', Symbols loaded.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program\wfind2k\WFHotMouse.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msimg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'opencpn.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cfgmgr32.dll'
'opencpn.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
First-chance exception at 0x100283fa (wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll) in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcdcdcded.
Unhandled exception at 0x100283fa (wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll) in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcdcdcded.
The program '[3640] opencpn.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Old 19-07-2014, 06:57   #69

Some tests:
I've tested some different BR24radar_pi versions against different OCPN versions. The conclusion will be that something happened with the BR24 code before 140408 that make it incompatible with some Windows machines, but not all. The tests are performed on my XP-PC and I will not touch my W7-PC because it's working and that's the one I'm using for navigation.
I don't have the code for the old br24 in my repository so I can't compare them. Let's hope Kees will return. I'll make an issue on https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/issues
Test results:
Code:
BR24RADAR_pi    OCPN 
140402             3.3.1419    menu items - Yes    Radar functional - Yes
140408             3.3.1606    menu items - Yes    Radar functional - Yes
140622             3.3.1606    menu items - No     Radar functional - No
140413             3.3.1713    menu items - No     Radar functional - No
140622             3.3.1911    menu items - No     Radar functional - No
140408             3.3.1911    menu items - Yes    Radar functional - Yes
140622             3.3.1606    menu items - No     Radar functional -  No
Håkan
Old 21-07-2014, 00:02   #70

Good News !

with some assistanse from Hakan, I got it running, thanks !

I plugged in the radome direct to computer....nothing happened...
the Plugin need a GPS-signal to work.......
Old 21-07-2014, 00:48   #71

Congratulations!
Still it would be nice to understand what really your problem was, as my radar runs OK (on the system that does work) even without a GPS.

I had a contact with Kees, he is on holiday. But he knows what to correct in the code to solve my problem (problem of the dimmed preferences and lacking radar menu, same as discussed in Hakan's last post).
Old 21-07-2014, 02:09   #72

Gunga..
For further debugging, can you confirm that you first had the same menu and functional problems as Douwe and me AND BR24Radar_pi went functional once the Garmin_Radar plugin was also loaded?
Douwe...
Thanks for the Kess' status report. Then we just have to wait with patient:-)
I'm heading for Inverness and will be of for a couple of days.
Håkan
Old 21-07-2014, 11:01   #73

Hi guys

first I want you to know, that my knowledge in PC/programming is limited, so if things
'go crazy' in my computer, it might be my own misstakes !

so have that in mind, when you are reading my posts!

Today Im back on work, I brought my Boat-PC with me.

Today, (without radome!) the Plugin works...and the buttons are high-lited !
I deleted the Gradarplugin, and the BR24-plugin still works........

Yesterday in boat with radome....no radar-screen without GPS or COG signal.............

with GPS; radar worked nice I deactived the Gradarplugin, and run just the BR24-plugin and it still worked nice.

my problem with no hi-lighting settings-button, seems to be the same problem that Douwe and Hakan had !

Next problem

I bought a Simrad GPS-compass HS70, to stabilize heading or COG in low speeds,
1; can I connect the HS70 direct in the RI-10 interface box,
or do I need that Back-bone starter-kit ?

2; in such a case.....how do I connect the radar to the PC ?
the radar, is there a way to take the Simnet/NMEA2000 signals into the
PC, since the RJ45 plug already is used ?
Old 21-07-2014, 13:39   #74

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Din View Post
1; can I connect the HS70 direct in the RI-10 interface box,
or do I need that Back-bone starter-kit ?

2; in such a case.....how do I connect the radar to the PC ?
the radar, is there a way to take the Simnet/NMEA2000 signals into the
PC, since the RJ45 plug already is used ?
1. I think you need either a Simnet or NMEA 2000 backbone connection. It seems that the signals in the Navico system are split between data and control. The data, certainly for radar, is carried over the multicast connection but control information, like HDT signals, are only received by a Navico MFD through a Simrad/NMEA backbone connection. An alternative is to wire your heading signal into your laptop so that OCPN receives it direct, that would require heading to be in NMEA0183 format I think.

2. You could put an ethernet hub between your PC and wherever the RJ45 connection currently goes. That should act as a tee, so that both existing and multicast data are received by the PC. If that connection also provides a DHCP address, and assuming you have a Navico MFD in the system, the MFD should pick up an IP address from your DHCP server. The MFD should start transmitting NMEA data that OCPN can recieve from port 10110 on the IP address assigned to the MFD.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 06:52   #75

As I am a bit lazy, and didn't want to copy all tracks and settings of OpenCPN to the new computer, I simply copied the C:\Users\All Users\opencpn directory from the old (with working radar preferences and menu) to the new computer (that didn't work). After that the preferences and radar menu worked as they should. Don't ask me why. This was without radar or GPS connected. Thursday life testing on board. Looks promising!

Douwe Fokkema

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad