Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 11:57   #496

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

https://web.archive.org/web/20160401...vico-broadband
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:14   #497

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

The github wiki is looking good. Thankyou.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:01   #498

Thanks to all developers for this awesome initiave.
I own a Simrad BR24 dome and Simrad NX40 MFD which I bought 7 years ago and I can say I now have redundancy using an Intel NUC + OpenCPN.
Two issues remain:
- radar control does not work in OpenCPN (my switch actually is an ADSL-router, I had one lying around with 12v input hence my choice, I'll try some other switches and see how it goes)
- with my Simrad MFD plugged into the switch as a third device, it won't detect the radar, I have to join both UTP cables (so excluding the switch) to have the MFD recognizing my radar again.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Jeroen Adam
JeroenAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:58   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenAdam View Post
- radar control does not work in OpenCPN (my switch actually is an ADSL-router, I had one lying around with 12v input hence my choice, I'll try some other switches and see how it goes)
Same issue with a 16-port rack mountable fast ethernet switch.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:43   #500

Radar control in OpenCPN is working now for me after having changed the range setting (only once) on the MFD, somehow that made OpenCPN able. Still no way to have both MFD and OpenCPN work at the same time. My Simrad NX40 MFD is not detecting the radar when using a switch (2 different switched tested), joining the UTP cables between the MFD and the dome restores MFD functionality but that leaves OpenCPN out.
Old 11-09-2016, 13:43   #501

Boat: Najad 34

Jeroen.....
I've a BR24 but direct connected to OpenCPN only. No other tools like MFD. Works like a charm.
You can't have two system, like a MFD and OCPN, direct connected to the BR24 in the same time. Only one system can have control of the radar. It may be a way to get the radar picture out of the MFD to OCPN but I'm not the one to answer that since I've never used a MFD. The programmers of the plugin may help you with an answer. Let's see if they show up here. (Can be out sailing for the moment.)
Meanwhile take a look here: https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/wiki and check the "Hardware installation" part for more details about your setup.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:20   #502

Boat: Ovni 385

No idea what is happening here. I have both Windows PC with OCPN and a HDS7 plotter connected to a WiFi router, all devices work simultaneously. On top of that I also use a laptop with OCPN and radar on the WiFi together with an internet gateway to reroute land based WiFi with internet.

One possibility, your older controller might not auto detect the Rx and Tx wires on the Ethernet and need a cross-cable, or connect it to the "up-link" connection of the hub.

Cheers, Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
No idea what is happening here. I have both Windows PC with OCPN and a HDS7 plotter connected to a WiFi router, all devices work simultaneously. On top of that I also use a laptop with OCPN and radar on the WiFi together with an internet gateway to reroute land based WiFi with internet.

One possibility, your older controller might not auto detect the Rx and Tx wires on the Ethernet and need a cross-cable, or connect it to the "up-link" connection of the hub.

Cheers, Douwe
Thanks for that, I'll try a cross-cable.
I also could do a firmware upgrade of my RI10 (which I bought 7 years ago) as described here:
RI10 New Software 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 - Simrad Marine Electronics
Remark: upgrades cannot be performed from a NX40 or NX45.
Since I own a NX40 a 'ST10 programming tool' is needed (picture shown in documentation).
I don't have such a tool. now I'm left with three options (if cross-cable does not solve the issue):
- get my hand on such a tool
- unscrew my RI10 unit and look for another boater having the same kind of setup with a more modern MFD
- go for a 2nd Intel NUC + 2nd USB 3.0 display and keep the NX40 as a backup
Old 12-09-2016, 12:21   #504
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hi,

This seems like the right thread to report that the plugin does not seem to work with a Simrad Halo 3. I have tried with the GoFree WiFi, tweaked to improve bandwidth. It checks out at a good speed with Iperf. I have also tried with a direct wire connect to the PC. In both cases the PC sees the connection, and the plugin reports the correct local IP address but does not find the Halo.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:27   #505
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Eric,

if you are familiar with Wireshark it would be most probably very interesting for the developers to get some data streams from the Halo devices.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 13:23   #506

Boat: Najad 34

Eric..
Your observation is correct. The BR24Radar_pi plugin supports only the broadband types: BR24, 3G and 4G.
To support also a Halo the plugin has to be developed for that. A good start is to collect working data with Wireshark as Hubert says. But then you must have a Simrad interface for the Halo.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 04:16   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenAdam View Post
I can say I now have redundancy using an Intel NUC + OpenCPN.
I now use a MS Surface (first generation) tablet as Wireless display (RDP over Bluetooth PAN), a very power efficient solution. The tablet goes to sleep mode after 2 minutes, when resuming, OpenCPN is instantly shown, RDP session time limit is set to 15 minutes by default).
2 pictures of my setup.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...6dO5RzB21QTXVX-
https://photos.google.com/search/_tr...YVXbU7ieybYDCA

Next project: connect my Advansea AIS unit to OpenCPN
Old 14-09-2016, 14:15   #508

@moderator, the first url in the previous post should contain the last character (minus), it is part of the url, now the link is dead
Old 14-09-2016, 23:17   #509
ejs

I can't say I'm proficient with Wireshark, but I have downloaded it and will try to capture representative data between the Halo and the NSS chartplotter. I assume it will be too big to post, is there a place I can send it? BTW I am in American Samoa, paying by the bit so I would prefer not to have to send it to multiple places.

Cheers, Eric
Old 16-09-2016, 12:00   #510
ejs

I have done a Wireshark capture of the Halo Radar broadcast, connect, data transfer and stop. It is about 5Mb. Can one of you let me know how to send it to the right developer?

Thanks, Eric

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad