Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 17:27   #466

Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

I'm trying to figure out what RobbieW is doing. If he's trying to get a 10 Hz heading on NMEA 2000 from existing equipment, there is a cheaper way than aligning all the interfacing cards. Just buy a Lowrance Point 1 GPS for $170 on e-bay, connect it via appropriate cables to the NMEA 2000 connector on the back of his MFD and there you are. You get radar overlay on the MFD. I don't know about MARPA.

If he's doing it for another reason, I'm lost.

BTW, thanks for the update.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 21:24   #467

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
Kees, in your earlier reply you advocate injecting heading data into the data stream to/from the radar head. You say doing so improves the accuracy of the overlay and MARPA function, I'm trying to follow your advice.

I have a Navico MFD, NSS8, in the cockpit and I use OCPN on a laptop at the chart table. I have HDM sentences coming in to the laptop, what I'd like to do is inject the heading data into the radar stream as advised. I have NMEA 0183 HDM sentences coming from my autopilot; I have an AT10 (possibly HD, possibly not) and I have an RI1x (probably the RI10); I have an ethernet switch, iirc, between the RI1x and the radar head that provides the radar stream to OCPN via a router. I can tee the HDM data at the point where the RI1x and AT10 are installed.

I'd also like to have the NSS8 recognise that heading data is available so that I can use radar overlay on that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi RobbieW, maybe this applies to you too, maybe not, then forget it.

Your heading data, so it is available on your NMEA2000/Simnet/NG network goes straight into the Radar Interface box. But then?

Feb/March I installed a Zeus2, together w RC42. I am quite sure, but only quite, there was a working MARPA, as only one or 2 days after installing there came a software update and definitly NO MARPA was on the sysem, the menu button was there, but greyed.

I almost went crazy, checking the system the RC42 and my PB200 (old stock and compass & GPS-backup) were reckognized, but there was always the message: NO HEADING DATA to the Radar. Searching forums there were some reports about wrong MARPA computations, but no help. Imagine, a few days ago came a new update and MARPA is back! Check your version!

If possible have the heading sensor output directly on NMEA2000, just for speed, NMEA0183 is easily on its limits.

I have gofree too (somehow I always have to have it all), but I consider it more or less useless, even dangerous, on a smartphone it does not really help as you only see a copy of the helm display, no other data viewing possible, tablet I have, but I have already problems with the 12" touch screen of the Zeus2, moving around with my fingers on a tablet, no thanks, that really would need another kind of human interface.

Next, there is no redundancy as Zeus2 must be ON for the gofree to work. Left over are the Update-funktion and - so you have Navionics on your cell - the sonarChart is great. If someone could only explain to me how I could see on Zeus what comes from Zeus (the livestream updated depth information is only displayed on the smartphone App!).

To have real redundancy my next investment will be a shipmodule miniplex3, a multiplexer for NMEA0183, seatalk, NMEA2000 with built-in WIFI. My old is without WIFI. Will connect my PC to the ship-network as well as to smartphones/tablets. If the Zeus² for some reason gives up, no problem.

Redundancy, I assume most of us like GE2KAP, I have noticed we can do similar, make our own AT5 charts that can be uploaded to the Zeus and other NAVICO brands. At least Zeus² allows split windows, one for the regular chart plotter, the other could display the georeferenced GE-picture.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 17:30   #468

Some more question:

Shortest & cheapest input of HDM over NMEA0183: use the NMEA0183 in/out of your Navico MFD. on my Zeus this are open ended wires bundled with the video connectors.

Comes the question, how did you connect your AIS?

You write, you have HDM from your Autopilot, but where does the Autopilot get it from?

One important thing not to forget, on your MFD always check the settings and make sure every "network"member is recognized AND tell the system what to use. Took me 2 hours to find out why my B&G Autopilot was not showing up as menu point despite being on the network list.

Under network NAVICO engineers understand NMEA2000/SIMNET, not Ethernet, somehow crazy.
Old 04-05-2016, 22:20   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD21 View Post
... I don't know about MARPA.
Boris
Hi Boris,

just in case I understood you correctly:

MARPA = Mini Automatic Radar Plotting Aid

Basically looks like AIS on openCPN, but this time the information does not come from outside, you mark on the radar-picture a doubtful spot, the MARPA tries to compute how this moves in relation to your boat and, if active, gives alarm when dangerous.

MARPA was the main reason for me to invest in a MFD, we are a small crew and my wife feels much better with it and I feel more comfortable too. Else openCPN is much more ergonomic. As Navionics MFDs allow multiple vendors software, even running side-by-side, it would be great if openCPN could be added, even if this costs a license fee (aka openCPN on Android)

Having the algorithm for AIS already, it should not be to difficult to reprogram it for MARPA, pick up a reflection, mark it and follow it, rest is same as AIS. I think this should be done within openCPN only.

Regards,

Heinrich
Old 04-05-2016, 22:36   #470
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Heinrich,

can you check if the (M)ARPA targets are shown on the data streams?
Or if this can be enabled?

OpenCPN recognizes TTM and TLL messages.
xxTTM - Tracked Target Message --> ARPA
xxTLL - Target Latitude and Longitude

Hubert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2016-05-05 a las 7.38.29.png
Views:	138
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	123711  
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 00:35   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Heinrich,

Hubert
Hi Hubert,
at present I have no direct access to my NMEA0183 output, I use simnet/NMEA2k only w. Actisense NGW, there is no xxTTM or xxTLL on the NMEA0183 side, do you know the PNG for that, from the NGT-1 stream I did not see anyone that looks like.

BUT !!! Checking the NMEA0183 setting on the Zeus2 TTM and TLL can be switched on, I did, no change on the NMEA2k side, now I am rewiring to check what really comes out there. Will take an hour or so

I am to new to NAVICO/B&G to be a trustworthy ressource. Like now, I switch everything on >>> NO MARPA (greyed out), thinking this is a computer with windows software sitting in the radom, linux in the MFD, the first you do is? Yes, switch that damned thing off and on again and how come? "aquire target is here!!! I did not change anything! I hate computers!

Regards
Heinrich
Old 05-05-2016, 01:17   #472

Quote:
Heinrich,

Hubert
Sorry, Administrator did not let me correct above writing, just forget it

Hi Hubert,

NMEA2000 datastream converted to NMEA0183 with Actisense, nothing

BUT !!! Checking the direct NMEA0183 output yes, there is, just do not forget to switch it on in the settings menu no change on the NMEA2k side

NMEA 0183 supported sentences (B&G-Zeus2)

GPS
Receive GGA GLL GSA GSV VTG ZDA
Transmit GGA GLL GSA GSV VTG ZDA

Navigation
Receive RMC
Transmit AAM APB BOD BWC BWR RMC RMB XTE XDR

Echo
Receive DBT DPT MTW VLW VHW
Transmit DBT DPT MTW VLW VHW

Compass
Receive HDG HDT HDM
Transmit HDG

Wind
Receive MWV MWD
Transmit MWV MWD

AIS / DSC
Receive DSC DSE VDM AIS sentences are not bridged to or from NMEA 2000

MARPA
Transmit TLL TTM These are only output sentences

Now I'll look for your symbols ;-)
Also here, as ARPA in the AIS-list, green round
surprisingly has MMSI number ;-)
Name: 1 (4G-307A)
MMSI 199200001
Position... etc

Why the heck they do not send this over NMEA2000?

Thank you, I leave it on for now of course

How to make the ethernet connection Zeus2 to PC? buy a Simnet cable, cut it & connect it directly as there is one connector vacant? best Router/Switch?

Regards,
Heinrich

P.S. If I can help anything, until end of May I am on my boat, then again November, just ask
Old 05-05-2016, 01:21   #473
bcn

Heinrich,

great to hear and especially to see finally ARPA targets - hopefully.
This has been a long time around and we had very few comments (if any) here in the forum.
Screen shots please, if possible.

Hubert
Old 05-05-2016, 03:00   #474

Quote:
Heinrich,

great to hear and especially to see finally ARPA targets - hopefully.
This has been a long time around and we had very few comments (if any) here in the forum.
Screen shots please, if possible.

Hubert
Hi Hubert,

seems to be a "hidden" feature ... had no clue this exists ;-)

But as nice as it is, it would be great to have MARPA without a MFD, a MFD is exposed electronic, have 2 neighbors here, both with brand new China made Catamarans, guess what, both had their new Raymarine shipped to Australia for repair, my one quit after 6 months and since last year I had multiple restarts, all wires checked, opened, all connections checked, this and an ever to slow reacting autopilot is the reason why I went for B&G. The AP is much faster reacting now! Quality wise we will see.

Long writing, MFD might quit, as long as Radom works we have Radar on openCPN, Marpa computed by openCPN would be a great feature

Screen shot, yes, but I am in a little crowded marina right now behind a floating dry dock with very few moving boats, after Barrio Fiesta and election on Monday I'll drive out to find some moving targets.

Regarding your symbols, please help me out
DSC i know
GPS-Gate - Franson GPS Gate? I use, but how to set a Buddy there????
ARPA is solved for now,
APRS what is this?

Regards,

Heinrich
Old 05-05-2016, 03:12   #475
bcn

That's all from the famous & fantastic OCPN manual:
AIS | Official OpenCPN Homepage

All the icons and options explained
Old 05-05-2016, 07:54   #476

Quote:
That's all from the famous & fantastic OCPN manual:
AIS | Official OpenCPN Homepage

All the icons and options explained
ευχαριστώ, danke, merci boku, salamat po, thank you .... ;-)
Old 05-05-2016, 14:19   #477

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
...Robbie's Mikrotik hAP AC Lite RB952Ui-5ac2nD would be better. It looks like RouterOS is pretty robust and a learning curve...
Been on the boat this week and tried out the new router. I'd set it up with my basic network parameters at home and it worked straight off. Tried it today with OCPN and the 3G Navico radar, I got radar data on the 5Ghz network without needing to do any special config so quite impressed really. The Mikrotik UI is a bit daunting though, there are many, many options - most of which you need know absolutely nothing about!
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 14:52   #478

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD21 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what RobbieW is doing. If he's trying to get a 10 Hz heading on NMEA 2000 from existing equipment, there is a cheaper way than aligning all the interfacing cards. Just buy a Lowrance Point 1 GPS for $170 on e-bay, connect it via appropriate cables to the NMEA 2000 connector on the back of his MFD and there you are. You get radar overlay on the MFD...
What I'd like to do is get heading data into the Navico system. I probably misunderstood a little what Hakan had done in identifying that the heading data goes out to the radar scanner on one of the ethernet pairs (unused for megabit). I was hoping that it was possible without establishing N2K or Simnet. I think I now realise that is not possible. I believe that the Navico devices require that the AT10, NSS MFD and RI10 are interconnected by N2K/Simnet - irritatingly the NSS has only N2K connectors and the RI10 + AT10 only Simnet. Those cables are not cheap! The NSS has to register the AT10 before it will pass heading data to the scanner, its not enough to simply connect the AT10 to the RI10.

I have no particular reason to have an N2K network other than the heading input - the NSS was a minimal extra cost as part of a package when I bought the radar scanner, my main chart plotting (including AIS) function is through OCPN. It is useful, however, to have an alternate chart package installed in the NSS to complement those I use in OCPN, not being in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
...I have gofree too (somehow I always have to have it all)...Next, there is no redundancy as Zeus2 must be ON for the gofree to work. ...
Quite so, it seems its actually the MFD that generates the gofree data. As I said earlier, I've put an ethernet hub between the scanner and the RI10. A cable goes from the hub to my router and gofree data is available on port 10110 of the MFDs IP address. I understand from other comments that this hub may prevent heading data getting to the scanner due to Navico's implementation, may have to experiment with Gigabit and Megabit hubs or break into the ethernet between RI10 and MFD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
...You write, you have HDM from your Autopilot, but where does the Autopilot get it from?...
The AP has a dedicated heading sensor, cant remember the Raymarine part. That heading data is output at 10Hz on one of the two NMEA 183 ports the AP has, thats what I've daisy chained to the AT10 and a serial connection in the laptop.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 19:13   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post
What I'd like to do is get heading data into the Navico system.

I have no particular reason to have an N2K network other than the heading input - the NSS was a minimal extra cost as part of a package when I bought the radar scanner, my main chart plotting (including AIS) function is through OCPN. It is useful, however, to have an alternate chart package installed in the NSS to complement those I use in OCPN, not being in the US

The AP has a dedicated heading sensor, cant remember the Raymarine part. That heading data is output at 10Hz on one of the two NMEA 183 ports the AP has, thats what I've daisy chained to the AT10 and a serial connection in the laptop.
Hi RobbieW

May I suggest you try the simplest way, if only for fault finding, just make sure your autopilot is NOT S1G (or similar), as this model has only 5Hz output. I had a S1G on my very light weight catamaran, but the output was not good enough.

there are 2 AT10s, AT10HD is the one for fast heading input only, is this the one you have?

S2G & S3G Course computers have 2 NMEA-connectors, use the number 2 labeled one.

Take out the ethernet hub between scanner and RI10, be sure to reconnect ALL wires, there are more than average ethernet uses, there the heading travels.

Forget the AT10 for the moment, disconnect it, if you have a S2G or S3G coursecomputer simply connect number 2 NMEA0183 OUT to the 2 IN-wires on your NAVICO-plotter and see what happens, look if you need to switch NMEA active in the NSS settings! Maybe your MFD allows to log NMEA-data, so you see what comes in, the PC in parallel you will see it in openCPN too.

If this is fine and your heading arrives at the scanner you go back and test the AT10. I have no clue wether the heading data must pass the MFD before going to the RI10 for some computation or it can be off. This would be logical, but all those big vendors use some tricks, for selling their stuff: eg promoting gofree (WIFI-1)

Lowrance, Simrad and B&G - Depth Data Export in GPX format | Navionics

If you want to control your Autopilot through your NAVICO (works fine, I tested it), you do the same with the other NMEA-wire pair. But do not split it to your PC this time!!!!! Use one NMEA connector on your Autopilot for your MFD, the other for openCPN, or a dedicated multiplexer

Hope I could help in one or other way, if I sound like a teacher, forgive me, my wife complains since 40 years ;-)

Heinrich
still learning NAVICO
Old 16-05-2016, 01:39   #480

Boat: Ovni 385

The Lowrance HDS display has a "Target expansion" command (tick box) in the radar settings that I overlooked until now. So there is no corresponding function in the pi. And this control does make a lot of difference on the image. It makes targets considerably larger. It corresponds to a radar command and a field in the control block that we did not use until now.
So I added the target expansion control under advanced controls.
This function has not yet been verified with the BR24 radar, but works with the 4G.
The action of the target expansion is very similar to target boost. Still it is important to have the command as it might be "on" without knowing it and without the possibility to turn it off. The default value of Target expansion on the Lowrance 4G is “on”. And if it is not switched off you loose a lot of resolution.
Sources of this update can be found at https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi
For those that don't compile I attach a Windows .dll (remove .pdf extension)
Douwe Fokkema
Attached Files
File Type: pdf br24radar_pi.dll.pdf (435.0 KB, 30 views)
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad