Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2016, 04:00   #421
SJH

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

It works!

My machine had two virtual ethernet adaptors in Network Connections. When I disabled these, it came straight up.

Thanks for all of your help.

Simon
SJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:09   #422

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 offshore

Yes I know.
But sometimes they don't want to talk to each other.
Radarlight Amber but radar not sending data. Emulator mode working fine.

/Wim
bengt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:38   #423

192.168.1.6Cannot bind UDP socket to port 6679

Tried everything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks,

Wim
Old 15-03-2016, 12:59   #424

Boat: Amel Sharki

What is everything you have tried? Obviously you have given a wrong IP address. 192.168.1.x is your router network?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 00:29   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
What is everything you have tried? Obviously you have given a wrong IP address. 192.168.1.x is your router network?

Gerhard
Everything I can! ;-)
I got it to work by using 192.168.1.5 (my macbook) as router, manuall IP and WIFI off. otherwise no go.
Some conflict?

/Wim
Old 16-03-2016, 02:00   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengt123 View Post
Everything I can! ;-)
I got it to work by using 192.168.1.5 (my macbook) as router, manuall IP and WIFI off. otherwise no go.
Some conflict?

/Wim
Difficult to help you when your network settings are not known. Try to use the netstat command and enter "man netstat" to see how to use the command.

Gerhard
Old 16-03-2016, 02:55   #427

It seems to be a problem with the ethernetcard. Which info do you need from netstat?
I use the IP address in the info box as router ( 169.254.176.55) and all works well. As soon as I switch on WIFI the radar info stops reaching the plugin. I am on a MacBook late 2009.

Thanks for your help

Wim
Old 16-03-2016, 03:21   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengt123 View Post
It seems to be a problem with the ethernetcard. Which info do you need from netstat?
I use the IP address in the info box as router ( 169.254.176.55) and all works well. As soon as I switch on WIFI the radar info stops reaching the plugin. I am on a MacBook late 2009.

Thanks for your help

Wim
It's more a problem with your networking knowledge. The MacBook has no "ethernetcard". All network chips are on the motherboard. Try to find someone in your neighborhood who can help you.

Gerhard
Old 19-03-2016, 06:27   #429

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

I've updated the 4.1/4.2 doc wiki with the information learned the last two weeks regarding possible issues, e.g. not disabling firewalls and having multiple ethernet devices connected to the same network.

See Debugging | Official OpenCPN Homepage
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 06:56   #430

I've also updated the documentation section on WiFi, and why it often doesn't work, and how you can try to work around this (disable 802.11b and 802.11g)
Old 28-03-2016, 19:59   #431

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hakan, I think we've solved B&G Radar install with new ZeusTouch chartplotter.
It has a RI10 interface that has an ethernet cable out to the ZeusTouch and the RI10 provides Radar cable connection + power.

How would you suggest I disconnect the antennae cable from the backstay radar support each fall?
  1. Disconnect cable from Radar and pull it out of the tubes?
  2. Cut the cable, run through a clamshell and provide a small waterproof electrical box below the stern deck? Disconnect and connect the wires each year.
  3. Disconnect the cable from the RI10 and pull it out to go with the backstay mount and radar for winter storage? -Longer run, disconnecting this is somewhat involved.
What have other people done in this situation?

The last question would be the simplest and best way to provide an OpenCPN - Computer connection to the radar network cable? .. after the RI10 Radar Interface box?

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 23:47   #432

Boat: Rival 41C
Send a message via Skype™ to RobbieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
...How would you suggest I disconnect the antennae cable from the backstay radar support each fall?...
The wires comprising the cabling are very thin so disconnect/reconnect in a box could give you problems after a couple of years. Perhaps either use amalgamating tape round the plug after disconnection or leave plenty of slack and use these, http://www.myboatsgear.com/3m-scotchlok, under the aft deck, cutting them off each year.

Quote:
...The last question would be the simplest and best way to provide an OpenCPN - Computer connection to the radar network cable? .. after the RI10 Radar Interface box?...
I have an ethernet switch between the radar head and the RI10, then a cable goes off to the onboard router which gives access to both radar data and Navico 'GoFree' data from OCPN.
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 23:56   #433

Quote:
  1. Cut the cable, run through a clamshell and provide a small waterproof electrical box below the stern deck? Disconnect and connect the wires each year.
  2. Disconnect the cable from the RI10 and pull it out to go with the backstay mount and radar for winter storage? -Longer run, disconnecting this is somewhat involved.
I have these two options combined. The radar cable goes down the mast in my case, and then through a labyrint (double elbow) that prevents water ingress, and the RI10 is located near the cable entry. When the mast is pulled I uncouple the wires from the RI10. The wire tail for power etc has wire ferrules of course, so they've lasted a few pulls already.

If you decide to make a cut in the cable, make sure you keep enough slack to redo in a few years time if the exposed bits are eaten by moisture etc. The cable itself only contains power style wires and an 8 wire Ethernet cable. Connect all 8 of those, some of those contain NMEA data going up to the radar. (That is part of what an RI10/11 does: inject heading data back into the radome. This is how the compass data ends up in each spoke of radar data.)

Quote:
The last question would be the simplest and best way to provide an OpenCPN - Computer connection to the radar network cable? .. after the RI10 Radar Interface box?
Split your yellow Navico cable, wire it up to two RJ45s and plug those into a household Ethernet switch of a few dollars. Could be a WiFi access point if you don't have that yet. I personally use a 5 port Netgear gigabit switch -- those use less power at 100 Mbit than real 100 MBit ports. The Netgear has a convenient 12VDC power input, so is fed directly from the nav power supply.

Here's a link to my post from 2010 on how to splice the Navico cable into a RJ45.
Old 29-03-2016, 00:12   #434

Boat: Najad 34

Rick..
The broadband scanner connection is not as sophisticated as "old" X-radars. It's just power and twisted pair signal wires. So to disconnect the scanner plug every year wouldn't make any harm. Use enough petroleum jelly to avoid corrosion as for every on-board electrical connectors.
My own solution is to never dismount the scanner. It's there year around, at the aft railing.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 03:45   #435

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks guys, all good information and very. helpful. Would be easier to leave the radar in place each year but right now it is mounted on the backstay. We are considering leaving the mast up but it is deck stepped. Have never done this.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad