Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 12:16   #331

Boat: Endeavour 42
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

RG- yes, that is my question. Is a JRC 1000 supported. Thank you.
AnnOMalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:20   #332

Boat: Najad 34

AnnO....
Pls also have look here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1964219
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:20   #333

AnnO...
Pls also have look here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1964219
Old 20-11-2015, 13:46   #334

Boat: Endeavour 42

The JRC1000 is a complete unit with display head. Iwaswondering if Boris was doing his testing with a JRC1000 radar- he said he had a JRC radar on his boat
AnnOMalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:21   #335

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Is there a compile for v4.1.1108 available?
FS#1912 : radar_pi v1.3 error with OCPN 4.1.1108

I just tried the version of the br24Radar_pi from opencpn-navico-radar-plugin.github.io and it works straight away with OCPN v4.1.1108. I can't understand why a different compile would be needed for this version of OCPN. But for OCPN 4.0 you do need a different compile.

In the meantime we have a slightly improved version of 1.3. A bug corrected and faster. I attach a binary for OCPN 4.1.X under Windows. Remove the .pdf extension and put it into the plugins directory of OCPN.

Cheers, Douwe Fokkema
Attached Files
File Type: pdf br24radar_pi.dll.pdf (438.5 KB, 90 views)
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:00   #336

AnnO,

Just to set the record straight, my boat (Journey On) had a JRC 1000 radar, but when I found out that a plugin was being developed for either a Garmin or a Lowrance, I replaced the JRC with a Lowrance. The JRC is an analog device and gets it's timing from the display unit.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 16:47   #337

Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar PlugIn Problem

I've set up a Lowrance 3G radar to PC and am having a problem with the start up interlock. As a compass signal, I've used a Ramarine E85001 Seatalk to NMEA converter getting the data from my Tridata and Autopilot. The NMEA data (4800) is good to the computer, shown on my Comcheck program and displayed on the OpenCPN (V 4.0.0) gauge panel. (Mag HDG, Depth, Speed thru water, etc. shown) The Comcheck program shows both HDM and HDG data received.

But, the radar scans are not returned. The interlock check box shows OK Open GL, Boat Position, Radar IP and Radar Sending Data. Not checked are Heading and Variation. (I don't understand the Variation interlock.) When the start button is clicked, the radar goes to standby for a few seconds, then to green. About 1 amp of current drain suggests that it is scanning, but there is no return to the screen. Occasionally, when my GPS generates a random COG signal, the interlock is satisfied the control box is displayed and so are the radar scans. I get the same results with 2 PC's running Windows 7 and Vista.

Any ideas? I guess it's OK while in motion, but it would be nice to test this at the dock or use it at anchor if boats are dragging down on you in a squall.

Thanks,
Gary
garynikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:20   #338

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar PlugIn Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynikon View Post
Not checked are Heading and Variation. (I don't understand the Variation interlock.)
The radar requires True Heading, not Magnetic Heading -- in other words it requires the variation. You can't overlay radar when the picture would be out by 30 degrees or more (which is how large variation can be in various places in the world, like NE Canada.) Try enabling the WMM plugin. See https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/WMM/DoDWMM.shtml and The WMM Plugin | Official OpenCPN Homepage
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:55   #339

Boat: Ovni 385

If you are using version 1.3 (or even better the updated 1.3, see one of my earlier posts), you can click the "Overlay / radar" button. This way you activate the "radar only" mode. In radar only mode you do not need a heading, position or variation to display a radar image.
As said earlier in this forum, the radar image is displayed around the boat icon, so bring that in view first (click the "boat symbol", auto follow or F2).

But to map the radar image on the chart the plugin needs a heading and position. If the heading provided is magnetic then also the variation is required to calculate the true heading.

Good luck!

Douwe Fokkema
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 17:08   #340

Thanks for the quick reply's and everyone's work on this project. It's turned into a pretty amazing package for the average sailor. The WMM 1.0 plug in did the trick and everything is now working OK. I'll look for the newer 1.3 radar plug in (I have 1.2 and that's all that's shown on the download page.) as it would be nice to still have some form of radar if the interlock conditions are not met. Thanks Again, Gary
Old 08-12-2015, 00:20   #341

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply's and everyone's work on this project. It's turned into a pretty amazing package for the average sailor. The WMM 1.0 plug in did the trick and everything is now working OK. I'll look for the newer 1.3 radar plug in (I have 1.2 and that's all that's shown on the download page.) as it would be nice to still have some form of radar if the interlock conditions are not met. Thanks Again, Gary
If you can connect your GPS to the E85001 it should make variation available as a NMEA sentence to OpenCPN and you may not need WMM plugin. It will also make variation available to the autopilot via SeaTalk.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 16:47   #342

The GPS is currenly going to OpenCPN via USB from my AIS to the laptop. The available AIS NMEA output is high speed. (Designed to go to a plotter.) I think the easiest thing for my at anchor situation for now would be to get the 1.3 updated radar plugIn. I've looked at past posts, but haven't been able to find it. Is there a download page for it somewhere?

Thanks Again,
Gary
Old 10-12-2015, 17:16   #343

Gary

You're on Windows, correct?

Try the attached one - download and delete ".pdf" extension.

The version I've called 1.301. It's 1.3 plus Douwe's recent adding to 1.3.
You'll need a rather new OCPN beta to run it > 4.1.900 something, don't remember

Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf br24radar_pi-1.301-win32.exe.pdf (351.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 11-12-2015, 01:40   #344

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
The GPS is currenly going to OpenCPN via USB from my AIS to the laptop. The available AIS NMEA output is high speed. (Designed to go to a plotter.) I think the easiest thing for my at anchor situation for now would be to get the 1.3 updated radar plugIn. I've looked at past posts, but haven't been able to find it. Is there a download page for it somewhere?

Thanks Again,
Gary
How is your E85001 connected to your laptop? If you are relaying only on the GPS output from your AIS then when you are stationary it will not be able to generate a "definitive" heading. This happens on many standalone AIS units and they jump around all over the place at anchor. The way they get round this for AIS is to set the display to north up when anchored. In order to get the radar to work however, it will require the heading from a compass (via you E85001 box and a second 4800 baud connection within OpenCPN. You may also have to suppress the COG messages from the AIS stream.

Peter
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48   #345

Peter..
re: "You may also have to suppress the COG messages from the AIS stream."
Why suppress COG?
Håkan

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad