Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 02:17   #61

Boat: Duet 16
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

I have successfully compiled OpenCPN 3.0.2 version in my android tablet pc under Debian wheezy. PC has armhf architecture but OCPN has a bug in armhf (when it index CM93 charts it closed). That is why i have compiled on armel architecture. So my armhf tablet works well with OCPN on armel. I have used Linux Deploy program to install debian wheezy armel linux and then compiled it under linux (and zyGrib program also :-). I can make binary *.deb packeges for this armel architecture and share it (and zyGrib also). In this way i need 100-200 mb space in any hosting for long-term storage.
sevanopula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 04:38   #62

Boat: Albin Vega, 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevanopula View Post
I have successfully compiled OpenCPN 3.0.2 version in my android tablet pc under Debian wheezy. PC has armhf architecture but OCPN has a bug in armhf (when it index CM93 charts it closed). That is why i have compiled on armel architecture. So my armhf tablet works well with OCPN on armel. I have used Linux Deploy program to install debian wheezy armel linux and then compiled it under linux (and zyGrib program also :-). I can make binary *.deb packeges for this armel architecture and share it (and zyGrib also). In this way i need 100-200 mb space in any hosting for long-term storage.
The armhf problems appear to have been addressed in 3.1.nnnn
(see Raspberry pi threads for details)
Alisdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 05:37   #63

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I just compiled opencpn and ran it on the raspberry pi. So far I had no serious issues, but I haven't tried with charts yet. It is a little slow, but still completely usable. The dashboard basically killed performance so I think there might be something to look into there. I didn't have to compile any dependencies, only opencpn.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 21:04   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisdair View Post
The armhf problems appear to have been addressed in 3.1.nnnn
(see Raspberry pi threads for details)
When i compiled 3.1.xxx there were many errors. So i can not compile this version on any architecture.
Old 13-02-2013, 23:50   #65

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
When i compiled 3.1.xxx there were many errors. So i can not compile this version on any architecture.
What is the first one? Did you forget to install development dependencies?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:23   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
What is the first one? Did you forget to install development dependencies?
I compiled version 3.1.1411. Of course i installed all recommended dependencies.
Old 14-02-2013, 07:12   #67

Boat: Phantom 19

sevanopula...
Can we see the output of the cmake .. configuration step? CMakeCache.txt? the actual build errors you've seen?
The "any architecture" refers to any ARM, any x86 or something else? Our brains need some food

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:22   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
sevanopula...
Can we see the output of the cmake .. configuration step? CMakeCache.txt? the actual build errors you've seen?
The "any architecture" refers to any ARM, any x86 or something else? Our brains need some food

Pavel
Pavel, i can not see the history of compiling because i tried many different linux version. Linux deploy program let it make very simple. I tried installed ubuntu, debian and fedora. After unsuccessful attempt of compiling i deleted linux image file with all files in linux system. Of course i mean armel and armhf architecture
I can show you results only of my last successful compiling at armel debian wheezy.
Old 14-02-2013, 08:58   #69

Quote:
Pavel, i can not see the history of compiling because i tried many different linux version. Linux deploy program let it make very simple. I tried installed ubuntu, debian and fedora. After unsuccessful attempt of compiling i deleted linux image file with all files in linux system. Of course i mean armel and armhf architecture
I can show you results only of my last successful compiling at armel debian wheezy.
I have a .deb that I created for raspberry pi on Raspbian (Debian wheezy for RPi armhf); I don't know if there's any mileage in trying that, but it wouldn't take much effort to download and try to install:

PiChart

Alisdair
Old 14-02-2013, 10:56   #70

Quote:
I have a .deb that I created for raspberry pi on Raspbian (Debian wheezy for RPi armhf); I don't know if there's any mileage in trying that, but it wouldn't take much effort to download and try to install:

PiChart

Alisdair
Alisdair, i have tried your deb package. It has installed and works fine CM93 charts also works successful. Thank you.
Old 15-02-2013, 11:24   #71

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

sevanopula,

I'd like to add to your comments regarding the various Linux versions available for installation with Linux Deploy. Debian Stable complains about versions of 'too recent, or too new' qt and qwt packages when trying to compile zyGrib. Debian squeeze - if the right versions of qwt and zyGrib are combined will install fully operational, with buttons/icons. I was unsuccessful compiling and installing zyGrib under Fedora 17. No buttons/icons appear. Tried different version of qwt and zyGrib too.

The stable version of OpenCPN, 3.0.2 has installed successfully with all Linux versions above. Not so with newer versions of OpenCPN.

So, I'll be gooing back to Debian Squeeze as soon as I am someplace with a decent internet connection.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:18   #72

sevanopula, what hardware do you have? I'm pleasantly surprised that the OCPN package worked.

armido, for what it's worth, I've been able to successfully compile and run ZyGrib and fldigi on my armhf Pi; and moderate success with hamfax.
I'll try and find time to create packages and make them available in the same location as my previous link.

Alisdair
Old 15-02-2013, 12:27   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
sevanopula,

I'd like to add to your comments regarding the various Linux versions available for installation with Linux Deploy. Debian Stable complains about versions of 'too recent, or too new' qt and qwt packages when trying to compile zyGrib. Debian squeeze - if the right versions of qwt and zyGrib are combined will install fully operational, with buttons/icons. I was unsuccessful compiling and installing zyGrib under Fedora 17. No buttons/icons appear. Tried different version of qwt and zyGrib too.

The stable version of OpenCPN, 3.0.2 has installed successfully with all Linux versions above. Not so with newer versions of OpenCPN.

So, I'll be gooing back to Debian Squeeze as soon as I am someplace with a decent internet connection.

armido

armido, i successful compiled zyGrib under debian wheeze. Qt and qwt library i installed from repositories by apt-get command. There was no errors during compilation. But this concerns 5.1.4 version. Program works fine with buttons and icons.
Old 15-02-2013, 12:35   #74

Quote:
sevanopula, what hardware do you have? I'm pleasantly surprised that the OCPN package worked.

armido, for what it's worth, I've been able to successfully compile and run ZyGrib and fldigi on my armhf Pi; and moderate success with hamfax.
I'll try and find time to create packages and make them available in the same location as my previous link.

Alisdair
Alisdair, i have tablet pc with amologic AML8726-M MCU. one core, 1 GHz freq, 389 free memory RAM. OCPN works quite perfectly. 30-40 sec loading time on armel and 15-20 sec on armhf
Old 16-02-2013, 08:43   #75

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

sevanupola,

I haven't seen any posters in this thread reporting on gps usage with their OpenCPN installations. While I don't believe it should be a major impediment to installing OpenCPN on an android tablet, posters in my thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...now-94064.html indicate this THE stumbling block preventing them from doing so. I use 'dropped marks' edited to reflect my gps coordinates. This shows my actual position anytime I feel it is prudent to know. Much easier and accurate than plotting current position on a paper chart.

Maurice, a poster in the thread says he will write an apk to send nmea data to OpenCPN and other programs. His workload and a cold have delayed his doing this, and in his last post said there would be no progress until February. Hoping to hear from him soon. In the meanwhile we have received no offers from anybody else to write an apk capable of delivering 'fake' nmea data - generated from a given position to OpenCPN. This will help OpenCPN users with ROMS that do not handle nmea data well, if at all.

My guidelines for doing what you have apparently figured out how to do yourself without relying on my 'how to' is here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn