Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 04:26   #646
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,823
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

I got my permit so I'm leaving soon, I'll get my adaptor for the odroid, but it means no internet for a while from me. Maybe I can have this all solved in a month?

Really opencpn should work find on the odroid u3 already since it has mali graphics.
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 23:52   #647
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,726
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

I just wanted to update this thread quickly...

I got my Radxa Rock Pro today..

GOOD NEWS... I was able to get OpenCPN up and running withing 20 min (yes all compiles, downloads, ect). It operates very responsive and fast. Wattage is about 4 - 4.5 watts (not including screen) while panning and zooming.

BAD NEWS... I'm having an issue where CM93v2 is not showing any depths. Everything else seems to show properly, but the depth numbers are MIA. Maybe its something simple, I haven't spent a bunch of time on it..

BAD NEWS 2... NOAA vector or BSB charts seem to operate faster with OpenGL turned off. With OpenGL turned on (3fps), they are just usuable (to me), a little stuttery when panning. With OpenGL off, they function like my I5 windows box (maybe a little slower when it has to process for vectors). BSB operate like an I5

I used the Cubietruck tutorial but skipped the GLXgears steps so I may be missing some things.. I will spend some time over the coming week to see if I can improve things in OpenCPN.

As a general board computer.. The Radxa Rock can't be beat for speed or features.. Quad Core 1.6ghz, with 8GB of NAND.. Nothing to compare.. It dual boots Ubuntu or Android, and once in Android its stupid fast.. Ubuntu is "Ok", but I'm just not a fan of Linux on the desktop!
__________________

__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 16:53   #648
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,726
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Ok quick update... I was able to get everything displaying properly in CM93v2.. For some strange reason, OpenCPN turns off all options when I open those charts (simply click the checkboxes to turn them on). I have no idea why this happens, the NOAA charts have the options turned on.

Unfortunately I have not been able to make OpenGL work better. Not sure how much time I will spend as the processor is fast enough that OpenGL is not really needed. I'll do a little more troubleshooting.
__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 14:37   #649
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 105
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM (ODROID U3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAd View Post
Just to let you know: My experience with ODROID U3 and OpenCPN is only related to OpenCPN core which is working fine and very fast compared to Cubieboard (both with HW accelerated graphics, U3 with 1080p, CB with 720p). I haven't tried any optional modules, GPS, AIS or anything else yet. I'm waiting for an external GPS mouse to be delivered providing NMEA0183 GPS data via USB, when this works I need to figure out how to connect my NAIS300 providing AIS data via NMEA0183.
Regards,
Martin
Martin,

Ok I need a recipe so I can dupilcate.

Here is where I have gone.
Latest U3 Ubuntu image 14.04 (The one on the U3 forum).
I install Wxwidgets 3.0 (Without this I get a crash with any vector chart).

In order to install wx widgets I have to install some gdk tools?

I install widgets, and everything seems to run, Open GL of course is slower than not. If I install the opengl drivers and shim from meveric, nothing really changes.

Things that don't work:
Config:
Load the wxwidgets and the opencpn as per instructions (Taking out any of the wxwidget installs listed on the how to compile and install page).

My boat when not in Opengl is a dot instead of the my boat image.
Open Gl is slower than no open gl
Vector charts s57 seem to work fine.
The dashboard plugin crashes the system completely.

If I use the 2.8 wxwidgets which are in the 140.04 U3 release of ubuntu, then opencpn crashes repeatedly with moving and scaling on vector charts.

What are you doing (Exactly as you can communicate because I know next to nothing about Linux).

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
__________________
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 10:12   #650
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 105
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Received my Raspberry PI2 yesterday and loaded up Opencpn via the directions on pichart, and it ran fine.

Opengl of course slows things down instead of speeding them up, but that is kind of what we expected. (I am trying to figure out if there would be any advantage to trying to install a different opengl support that allows for use of opengles on the PI2. Although I think there would be because the processor is only running 30% or so when running opencpn and some graphics acceleration would make panning and ingesting and the like faster.)

The unit as it is would function completely fine for a basic chart plotter. This weekend I will try to add all of my instruments and hopefully compile and install the gradar plugin.

Then I will work on figuring out how to add a music player that works well, and a movie player that works well.

With a chart plotter, Instruments at the nav station, Radar at the nav station, music player, and movie player, I would have 70% of a complete boat PC. I am currently optimistic that this is possible, although the liscensing fee for media decoders on the pi is confusing.

Still needed are the modules that connect to the SSB radio for Winlink Email, Weatherfax, and Grib Files. That would make the pi2 a complete package that uses very little power, and handles all the necessary, and most of the auxiliary small boat tasks.

The odroid U3 should be a faster machine than the Pi2, however I have never been able to successfully get it working with Vector Charts, or with the dashboard plugin. Which I feel are the basis for going forward to anything else.

I am hoping that boat_alexandra can shed some light on making the U3 work correctly.
__________________
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 11:09   #651
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,726
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
Received my Raspberry PI2 yesterday and loaded up Opencpn via the directions on pichart, and it ran fine.

Opengl of course slows things down instead of speeding them up, but that is kind of what we expected. (I am trying to figure out if there would be any advantage to trying to install a different opengl support that allows for use of opengles on the PI2. Although I think there would be because the processor is only running 30% or so when running opencpn and some graphics acceleration would make panning and ingesting and the like faster.)

The unit as it is would function completely fine for a basic chart plotter. This weekend I will try to add all of my instruments and hopefully compile and install the gradar plugin.

Then I will work on figuring out how to add a music player that works well, and a movie player that works well.

With a chart plotter, Instruments at the nav station, Radar at the nav station, music player, and movie player, I would have 70% of a complete boat PC. I am currently optimistic that this is possible, although the liscensing fee for media decoders on the pi is confusing.

Still needed are the modules that connect to the SSB radio for Winlink Email, Weatherfax, and Grib Files. That would make the pi2 a complete package that uses very little power, and handles all the necessary, and most of the auxiliary small boat tasks.

The odroid U3 should be a faster machine than the Pi2, however I have never been able to successfully get it working with Vector Charts, or with the dashboard plugin. Which I feel are the basis for going forward to anything else.

I am hoping that boat_alexandra can shed some light on making the U3 work correctly.
I have readjusted my attemps on the Radxa Rock Pro. Although I was able to get the OpenCPN to function great (without OpenGL), I was not succesfull at finding other software. I couldn't find a stable movie player and found that Chrome on Unbutu was buggy and slow.

In the end, I have configured my Radxa as a dual boot Andriod/Linux device. I will use Andriod (and the tons of supported apps) for all our regular PC funcitons (email, surfing, movies, music). Linux with OpenCPN I will leave as an emergency backup.

For OpenCPN, I will use my Onda tablet and Windows 8.1 at the helm. It just works so much better/easier with almost the same power draw. At $80 more, its not worh the screwing around with Linux (as I suggested originally).

Good luck with the Pie 2, I hope you have better success than I.
__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 13:01   #652
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 105
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Ugh .....

Gradar requires opengl Raspberry pi, Odroid, and all of the credit card computers I can find are all Mali Graphics chips....

Seems to me that this is never going to work out well. The idea of opengl running on these devices is being driven by a single individual, and is a slow process. My bet is that the world will move on to new hardware and software before these little boards are goign to be usefull for what we want them to be useful for.

Three of these boards in, three different OS's and still no joy. Lots of hours of learning about linux, a frustrating at best operating system with it's only advantage being that it is free, has convinced me that the better way to go is to buy a windows 8.1 computer and install opencpn and all the plugins on it, and have it working out of the box reliably and consistently without trying patch after patch over patch etc...

I really wanted this to work, and am disappointed that it does not. The cubie truck version does not seem to have actual opengl running on it either from what I can gather from the thread to install it. Nothing there points at a Opengl solution, just another Mali chip without open GL.

Installing Opengles on these little boards just slows the base configuration of OpenCPN down the point that it is less than usable.

Sigh, open to more solutions, open to more playing, hoping I am wrong, but that is my experience.

Frustrated, Dissapointed,
Guy
:-)
__________________
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 19:41   #653
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,144
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
......
I really wanted this to work, and am disappointed that it does not. The cubie truck version does not seem to have actual opengl running on it either from what I can gather from the thread to install it. Nothing there points at a Opengl solution, just another Mali chip without open GL.
.....:-)
OpenCPN is certainly working in OpenGL mode with hardware acceleration on My CubieTruck. I have the Navico RADAR plugin working as well; I am positive that the GRADAR would work too. The only remaining problem is rendering certain features of vector charts. The author of Glshim has promised to debug the final problems; So either be patient, or get that Win8.1 PC.

Cheers,
JM.
__________________
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 23:21   #654
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 105
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

JM

There does seem to be some opegl hardware support in the Cubi truck kernel that is based on the yet to be completed mali drivers, which are being written by this guy: anholt: helping out with VC4

I have no idea how to incorporate this into any of the linux distributions yet... Theoritically I have found the latest source code for the driver, but I have no idea how to use it. LOL. ( I have to compile a new kernel for my odroid or raspberry pi2, but that is well beyond me...)

I will keep plugging away, I am going to try the opengles stuff on the new raspberry pi2 and see how well it works. I am not holding my breath on it being fast enough to actually use, but we will see.

Guy
:-)
__________________
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 13:20   #655
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Martinique
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 1,726
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
Ugh .....

Gradar requires opengl Raspberry pi, Odroid, and all of the credit card computers I can find are all Mali Graphics chips....

Seems to me that this is never going to work out well. The idea of opengl running on these devices is being driven by a single individual, and is a slow process. My bet is that the world will move on to new hardware and software before these little boards are goign to be usefull for what we want them to be useful for.

Three of these boards in, three different OS's and still no joy. Lots of hours of learning about linux, a frustrating at best operating system with it's only advantage being that it is free, has convinced me that the better way to go is to buy a windows 8.1 computer and install opencpn and all the plugins on it, and have it working out of the box reliably and consistently without trying patch after patch over patch etc...

I really wanted this to work, and am disappointed that it does not. The cubie truck version does not seem to have actual opengl running on it either from what I can gather from the thread to install it. Nothing there points at a Opengl solution, just another Mali chip without open GL.

Installing Opengles on these little boards just slows the base configuration of OpenCPN down the point that it is less than usable.

Sigh, open to more solutions, open to more playing, hoping I am wrong, but that is my experience.

Frustrated, Dissapointed,
Guy
:-)
Personally.. I agree.. For $50-80 more, it makes no.. The Onda table I mentioned runs both Windows 8.1 and Android while drawing around 4 watts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 21:12   #656
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,884
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Guys...

Sorry for the troubles you are finding on the various little ARM boards.

I don't have any embedded arm boards available for development work except an old RPI, not ever booted up. Too many other ideas...

But I'll tell you this: I am working seriously on the OpenCPN android port now, and am doing my work on a low end MALI based 7" tablet. On this platform, OpenGLES1.1 with the glshim is critical to OCPN performance, and works pretty well. There are some bugs in glshim which have not made it upstream yet, but soon will I hope. I'm working around them for now by compiling a private version of glshim as part of the OCPN build.

The result of the android port effort will be, well, OCPN on android.

But a side benefit will be a better understanding of the OpenGLES environment as it relates to OCPN. This will propagate to the embedded universe in time.

So, take heart. Progress is being made, however slow.

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 08:45   #657
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,144
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Guys...

Sorry for the troubles you are finding on the various little ARM boards.

I don't have any embedded arm boards available for development work except an old RPI, not ever booted up. Too many other ideas...

But I'll tell you this: I am working seriously on the OpenCPN android port now, and am doing my work on a low end MALI based 7" tablet. On this platform, OpenGLES1.1 with the glshim is critical to OCPN performance, and works pretty well. There are some bugs in glshim which have not made it upstream yet, but soon will I hope. I'm working around them for now by compiling a private version of glshim as part of the OCPN build.

The result of the android port effort will be, well, OCPN on android.

But a side benefit will be a better understanding of the OpenGLES environment as it relates to OCPN. This will propagate to the embedded universe in time.

So, take heart. Progress is being made, however slow.

Thanks
Dave
This is great news! Your attention to detail is really appreciated.
Whenever there is something ready to test, let us know.

Cheers,
JM.
__________________
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 11:24   #658
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orust Sweden
Boat: Najad 34
Posts: 1,968
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Dave...
The RB_Pi2 and Raspbian out of the box is good enough for OCPN without OpenGL if you have a little patience while zooming. With OpenGl it's to slow to recognize all NMEA in my stream. But strange, its' not the processor performance setting the limits. The CPU load is never more then 35%, so I suppose it's some graphics involved here?
I haven't yet used the OpenGLES but look forward to test any ideas from you. It would be nice to also be able to use my radar on this little toy.
Håkan
__________________
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 12:09   #659
Registered User
 
NahanniV's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: On the Boat
Boat: Finnsailer 38
Posts: 1,144
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Dave...
The RB_Pi2 and Raspbian out of the box is good enough for OCPN without OpenGL if you have a little patience while zooming. With OpenGl it's to slow to recognize all NMEA in my stream. But strange, its' not the processor performance setting the limits. The CPU load is never more then 35%, so I suppose it's some graphics involved here?
I haven't yet used the OpenGLES but look forward to test any ideas from you. It would be nice to also be able to use my radar on this little toy.
Håkan
Did you try installing GLshim ?
__________________
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 13:08   #660
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 105
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

I have,

The Glshim takes hardware calls and converts them to software calls (Opengl to opengles). This is combined with the same thread that is running opencpn, and just slows the whole process down to not usable.

One of the interesting things is that all of the processes, on the raspberry pi 2 are running on one core, the opengles, and opencpn.

Is there anyway to make the Glshim run on one thread, while opencpn runs on one of the others, or is there anyway to make OpenCPN multi processor compatible?

(note the radar plugins will not run without open gl..... This is my big hurdle at the moment, I have a much more knowledgeable friend looking into getting all the drivers aligned and installed correctly, and hoping that it will work out and I can post a raspberry pi2 or odroid recipe here. but he hasn't even gotten my units in his hands yet, so no guarantees.)

It would seem that there should be a way to make this work, I have reached the point that I think a new kernel will have to be compiled to make it work though, and that is well beyond me. However I have help now!)

Thanks,
Thanks,
Guy
:-)
__________________

__________________
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
opencpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open CPN and Google Earth bgrimwade OpenCPN 19 09-12-2011 16:32
OpenCPN Version 2.5 Release bdbcat OpenCPN 86 02-09-2011 19:14
OpenCPN Stops Running BobLarkin OpenCPN 2 31-08-2011 00:38
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 05:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.