Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 08:54   #181

Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
I hope we can still get it to work on a RPi.
For me it would be quite ok to use a different more poweful computer to make all the main planning of a route.
Then save it and load the route into a low power RPi during sailing.
A standard pc is way too powerhungry to be kept on all the time.
I hope Sean is just to occupied with the merge of the optimized code into the main branch, and can spend some time on the RPi later.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Agree, a standard PC needs to much power. A cubieboard3 is an ARM based lowconsumtion computer like the Raspberry PI but with better CPU and some more features.
However, as far as I know, the cubieboard3 do not have full Open GL so it needs similiar tweaking as the RPI to get it working with accelerated graphic.

Regards
Peter
it-slav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 09:24   #182
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-slav View Post
Agree, a standard PC needs to much power. A cubieboard3 is an ARM based lowconsumtion computer like the Raspberry PI but with better CPU and some more features.
However, as far as I know, the cubieboard3 do not have full Open GL so it needs similiar tweaking as the RPI to get it working with accelerated graphic.

Regards
Peter
I got a cubietruck (cubieboard 3) last week and love it so far. Opencpn 3.2.2 is workable compiled from source with current draw around 3/400mA on the 12v side of an eBay buck converter to provide the cubie with 5.2v with the batteries around 12.6.
It's quite slow if the cm93 charts are loaded onto the internal nand memory but put them onto a SD card or ssd drive things are much better.
And it's fast enough for fldigi to decode weatherfaxes, something I could never get the Pi to do.
Great board IMHO, the poor Pi has been cast aside now.......
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 12:56   #183

Hi,

I am trying to build Sean's optimum branch for the last evenings but my Pi stops working after roughly 75% of the build. Sometimes it complains about read errors on corrupt swap and sometimes the Pi just stops without any message.

I wonder - could anyone of you please share your config of your Pi's prior to starting the build? I have increased the swap to 250MB, but that's about the only thing. I have tried running it headless through ssh, but with same or even worse results .

I have now started to try to find out how to build it from my pc instead and then only install the package - but it was 15 years ago that I worked on Linux so it takes some time to get everything sorted again.

Thanks,
Lulle
seglar-lulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 13:01   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglar-lulle View Post
Hi,

I am trying to build Sean's optimum branch for the last evenings but my Pi stops working after roughly 75% of the build. Sometimes it complains about read errors on corrupt swap and sometimes the Pi just stops without any message.

I wonder - could anyone of you please share your config of your Pi's prior to starting the build? I have increased the swap to 250MB, but that's about the only thing. I have tried running it headless through ssh, but with same or even worse results .

I have now started to try to find out how to build it from my pc instead and then only install the package - but it was 15 years ago that I worked on Linux so it takes some time to get everything sorted again.

Thanks,
Lulle
I use standard raspbian without any special config at all, excpet the one mentioned in this thread.
I think your SD card is broken, I had one broken SD card in the RPI behaved very strange...

Regards
Peter
Old 18-05-2014, 13:34   #185

Quote:
I use standard raspbian without any special config at all, excpet the one mentioned in this thread.
I think your SD card is broken, I had one broken SD card in the RPI behaved very strange...

Regards
Peter
Hi, and thanks!

Sounds strange though that the SD card would be broken already. Or? It is 2 weeks old, class 10 16GB. Should I perhaps start all over with it then? I have Raspian installed from NOOBS..

Cheers,
Lulle
Old 18-05-2014, 21:34   #186

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

The optimum branch has been merged into mainline, so you should just use that now. You do of course still need glshim to use the opengles mali drivers.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 23:18   #187

Hi.

Ok - yesterday I started with a new SD card. So let's see.

But, @Peter, did you perhaps collect all that has to be done in order to build in one document or instruction?

Cheers,
Lulle

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-05-2014, 05:19   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglar-lulle View Post
Hi.

Ok - yesterday I started with a new SD card. So let's see.

But, @Peter, did you perhaps collect all that has to be done in order to build in one document or instruction?

Cheers,
Lulle

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
This is the best shot when it comes to documentation: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1534957

But I still have not got it running accelerated.

Regards
Peter
Old 20-05-2014, 08:00   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The optimum branch has been merged into mainline, so you should just use that now. You do of course still need glshim to use the opengles mali drivers.
Are you saying that I could use the following command to get the optimum code?
Code:
git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
regards
Peter
Old 20-05-2014, 08:21   #190

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Are you saying that I could use the following command to get the optimum code?
Code:
git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git
regards
Peter
To make a fresh local clone of the main OpenCPN repository, yes.
Then just use
Code:
git pull
to get the latest changes every time you want them.
And yes, the optimum code is merged in the master branch there.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 09:14   #191

Boat: Westerly Tempest

First of all thanks to SB Freddie for keeping me pointing in the right direction and also Sean for the work he's done and secondly, I've got zilch linux experience apart from flashing my android phone with different roms over the years.
I got a Cubietruck (CT) with 32gb class10 card and I've also got a 120gb ssd. This is to form the backbone of a navigation / media centre on my boat. I installed Qbee-X (ubantu), made the rootfs partition fill the card with gparted using the gparted live cd on my pc and formated the ssd with gparted on the CT. Spent a morning getting the wlan working finally discovering that the wlan driver module was missing from the modules folder. I then managed to download the source and then follow the build and install instructions and low and behold (a few errors appeared during the build) it installed and appears to be working. Next was the CM93 charts for which was frustrating. I got lost trying to network my pc and CT together (on the list to revisit) and I eventually got to access the ssd plugged in to my pc using Ext2Fs. Transferred the charts over and a load of different movie formats and all seems working.
Moving the charts around seems fine.
Zooming in and out using the scroll wheel needs a light touch.

I have a serial (ps2) Fortuna GPS receiver which I would like to attach. Am I right in saying I need to connect this via a serial to ttl adaptor?
Also is there any way of testing OpenCPN with a dummy feed?

Regards and thanks

Stu
stu3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 19:31   #192

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu3284 View Post

Regards and thanks

Stu
You can use the vdr plugin.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 01:31   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
You can use the vdr plugin.
Cheers, thats today's entertainment sorted.
Old 25-05-2014, 07:21   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu3284 View Post
First of all thanks to SB Freddie for keeping me pointing in the right direction and also Sean for the work he's done and secondly, I've got zilch linux experience apart from flashing my android phone with different roms over the years.
I got a Cubietruck (CT) with 32gb class10 card and I've also got a 120gb ssd. This is to form the backbone of a navigation / media centre on my boat. I installed Qbee-X (ubantu), made the rootfs partition fill the card with gparted using the gparted live cd on my pc and formated the ssd with gparted on the CT. Spent a morning getting the wlan working finally discovering that the wlan driver module was missing from the modules folder. I then managed to download the source and then follow the build and install instructions and low and behold (a few errors appeared during the build) it installed and appears to be working. Next was the CM93 charts for which was frustrating. I got lost trying to network my pc and CT together (on the list to revisit) and I eventually got to access the ssd plugged in to my pc using Ext2Fs. Transferred the charts over and a load of different movie formats and all seems working.
Moving the charts around seems fine.
Zooming in and out using the scroll wheel needs a light touch.

I have a serial (ps2) Fortuna GPS receiver which I would like to attach. Am I right in saying I need to connect this via a serial to ttl adaptor?

Regards and thanks

Stu
Have you got the accelerated opengl graphics working?

Regards
Peter
Old 25-05-2014, 09:09   #195

Quote:
Have you got the accelerated opengl graphics working?

Regards
Peter
Nope, enabling it just cause the screen to have a big grey block on. It seems to run fine without it enabled and I can move freely around the charts. I have the charts on the ssd. Quilting is still enabled.

I am having problems getting the VDR plugin to work. I've put it in the directory users/lib/opencpn but it doesn't show up in the plugins list to enable it. ???? Log says file or directory does not exist.

I also think I need to get a better power supply as the whole thing just switches itself off now and again now and again and then won't boot up. If I unplug the keyboard it'll reboot then i have to plug the keyboard in. If only I can find my PSP power supply
Regards
Stu

Tags
opencpn