Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 09:51   #76

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Release Candidate 3.3.2503 Released

Done, the bottom needs a little more consolidation and cleanup I think, but it all should be clearer (I think).

Please note the Diagram 2&4 where we show "Distance made good to WP02" which is very different than NR.

Tonight I'll do a very basic diagram showing what
1. Range (actual distance to mark)
2. Normal Range
3. Distance made good to mark
and any other basic info.

It would go at the beginning just after

"The arrival radius can also be set individually for each waypoint in the Waypoint Properties dialog."

When is this going out I thought we had some time?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:42   #77
Marine Service Provider

Rick....

Its time to stop writing, and finish editing. O4 is technically ready, ex the documentation.

Happy...
re:
"Someone must try this"

I have been cruising with O's ideas for auto waypoint advance for years. The basic logic has not changed in a long time. I find it very efficient to shortcut waypoints if I can look out the window and see that there is no reason to go all the way out to the specified point.

Here's a route I use frequently, been there many times, and if the sun is high I can see just how nicely I can cut the shoal.

And O helps me here, by auto advancing the waypoint as I pass Margaret.

Dave

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shortcut.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	94998  
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:02   #78

Boat: 29'

yes,Dave It is obviously useful. It could even work for me ,where routes generally are a nuisance, always missing the mark! But I am still wondering is all...it's a new feature .
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:43   #79
Marine Service Provider

Rick, et al...

The cutoff time for documentation and translation updates to be included in O4 is set:

6 January, 2015, 2300GMT.

Thanks for all your hard work.
Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 02:24   #80

Boat: Amel Sharki

Dave,
last commit "Correct to avoid potential buffer overrun on very long NMEA sentences.":
In line 142 of nmea0183/sentence.cpp
checksum_value ^= Sentence[ index ];
shows: "Use of overloaded operator '^=' is ambiguous (with operand types 'unsigned char' and 'wxUniChar')".
Casting like this: checksum_value ^= (char)Sentence[ index ]; seems OK for me.
Gerhard
Edit:
BTW not only Dashboard affected but also other plugins which uses nmea0183 sources such as gradar, logbook, polar, remoteAP, survey.
Therefore I'm not a friend of standalone compiling plugins.
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:46   #81

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

The translation of O heart, that of Grib and Dashboard plugins , are current. I have considered my trouble with the items in the menu bar.

For other plugins, much work has been done.

The Radar_br24 plugin is the only one that is not fully translated. I guess this is not a problem for the release of version 4.0. These are two separate things.
If working there today, prevent us on this thread.

Best regards. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:07   #82

Boat: Dufour 35

rgleason & all

I have reverted to the old spartan version of the "Advance route waypoint on arrival only." documentation. I found errors and questions with all the illustrations, so I did not have much of a choice.

I'll revert the documentation back again once 4.0 is launched, and we can continue the discussion/development. I like the idea with the drawings.

One change though. The piece is to long and detailed to go in Options.
When reverted it will be at the end of Marks and Routes | Official OpenCPN Homepage, with a link from Options.

Thanks

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:13   #83
Marine Service Provider

Thomas...

Thanks, we need more time to discuss and document this behaviour. Better sparse than wrong.

Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 14:24   #84

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Thomas,

Just a request to make the website opencpn.org a little more understandable.

The top of each wiki, that of the 322 and the new for 4.0, there is the even pulls "OpenCPN User Manual"

This leads to confusion in minds.

Would it be possible to introduce the version of O is concerned.
- OpenCPN User Manual for OpenCPN 3.2.2
- OpenCPN User Manual for OpenCPN 4.0

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 14:33   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello Thomas,

Just a request to make the website opencpn.org a little more understandable.

The top of each wiki, that of the 322 and the new for 4.0, there is the even pulls "OpenCPN User Manual"

This leads to confusion in minds.

Would it be possible to introduce the version of O is concerned.
- OpenCPN User Manual for OpenCPN 3.2.2
- OpenCPN User Manual for OpenCPN 4.0

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom

Not a bad idea!
Unfortunately I don't have the rights to edit at that level.

Thomas
Old 06-01-2015, 15:13   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AISEAG View Post
RD,

Regarding the portable mode of O, did you check if the Beta User manual is still up to date ?

Thanks

Serge
Serge,

I just revised the wiki. As you mentioned to me in your PM, there were three files missing from the instructions:
  • crashrpt_lang.ini
  • CrashRpt1401.dll
  • CrashSender1401.exe
...so I added those into the instructions. I also did some reorganization to make it easier to follow:

• Separated copying files into a separate step from copying folders
  • Listed everything in alphabetical order, so the user can compare the list with his directory listing
  • Added/removed some bullets to make it more readable
I did not have time before deadline to check the 64bit vs. 32bit problem. I have never seen that problem before. I'm not sure I've copied between my 64 and 32 bit systems, but I have been very haphazard about copying between them, so I'd be surprised if I have not.

Have a look at the documentation and make sure it's OK with you.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 15:54   #87

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Thanks, we need more time to discuss and document this behaviour. Better sparse than wrong.
It is not wrong, it is shown as best I could understand as it was described in the wiki!

Thomas I would like a copy of what it was before revert if possible. Thank you.

Additionally, I did not write anything about it, however I wondered about the Waypoint Advance conditions as described in the wiki because they appeared to allow flexibility (which can be good), yet it appeared that they could lead to Waypoint Advancement which could allow unwary to stray into bad water (I will admit, I have not used the feature), so I will leave it at that.

I look forward to the discussion.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 16:17   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I did not have time before deadline to check the 64bit vs. 32bit problem. I have never seen that problem before. I'm not sure I've copied between my 64 and 32 bit systems, but I have been very haphazard about copying between them, so I'd be surprised if I have not.
Serve,

OK, now that I'm past deadline I took the time to do some further testing and research into the 64-bit library issue. I am glad that I did, because there were some issues in my prior version that would cause a user problems. Specifically, the msvc?100.dll library files are not in the OpenCPN directory - they're in a system directory. So I broke those instructions out with proper directions on where a user can find the 32-bit version of the libraries on his system. Note that the 32-bit libraries can be found on a 64-bit version of Windows, so I indicated where they are in my instructions.

I had initially edited your test for creating batch files to copy 64-bit libraries (shown below), bu I decided to remove it. Since 32-bit libraries work in both systems, I think we should leave it at that. If someone insists on using 64-bit libraries, he will have the skill to know how to create batch files to move/copy the libraries around. (I've done similar stuff before myself.)

If you can think of a compelling reason why we MUST explain how to use 64-bit libraries, you can go ahead and paste the deleted text back in (shown below with my revisions):

Quote:
Alternate procedure to use the 64-bit libraries upon demand

The setup described above will work on 32- or 64-bit systems, as long as you are careful to copy msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll from the exact folders that were specified. Those files are 32-bit libraries, which will run without problems on both 32- and 64-bit systems.

If you accidentally copied the 64-bit msvc*100.dll library files (which are located in C:\Windows\System32 on 64-bit systems) a 32-bit system, you will get an error message when trying to run in portable mode. If you want cross-compatibility between 32- and 64-bit systems, it is strongly suggested to use the 32-bit libraries described in step 4 above.

If you insist on using 64-bit libraries on 64-bit systems, but want to preserve 32-bit compatibility on 32-bit systems, you can do the following setup procedure which creates separate batch files for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll in the OpenCPN root directory as described here:

1. Same as above
2. Same as above
3. Same as above

4. Create MSDOS batch files "opencpn portable 32.bat" and "opencpn portable 64.bat" (or other names of user choice that distinguish between the 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems).

In the MSDOS batch file "opencpn portable 32.bat", add the following lines (without quotes):
"copy msvcp100_32bit.dll msvcp100.dll /Y"
"copy msvcr100_32bit.dll msvcr100.dll /Y"
"opencpn -p"

In the MSDOS batch file "opencpn portable 64.bat", add the following lines (without quotes):
"copy msvcp100_64bit.dll msvcp100.dll /Y"
"copy msvcr100_64bit.dll msvcr100.dll /Y"
"opencpn -p"

5. Copy msvcp100.dll from the 32-bit system and rename it msvcp100_32bit.dll
Copy msvcr100.dll from the 32-bit system and rename it msvcr100_32bit.dll

6. Copy msvcp100.dll from the 64-bit system and rename it msvcp100_64bit.dll
Copy msvcr100.dll from the 64-bit system and rename it msvcr100_64bit.dll

To run OpenCPN portably on a Windows 32-bit system, execute the "opencpn portable 32" batch file.
To run OpenCPN portably on a Windows 64-bit system, execute the "opencpn portable 64" batch file.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 19:00   #89
Marine Service Provider

Mac users...

I am seeing a persistent crash on Mac Lion with 3.3.2503.

The situation is with the Dashboard PlugIn, Preferences dialog. When the layout of the Dashboard is changed, (add or remove an instrument) the system will crash on leaving the preferences dialog by the "OK" button. But strangely, it only crashes if the Dashboard is floating, not docked. If docked, all is well, no crash.

I stepped back to Betas from earlier last year, say 3.3.16xx, and still have the trouble there. So this issue seems to have been around a long time.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-01-2015, 21:22   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
It is not wrong, it is shown as best I could understand as it was described in the wiki!

Thomas I would like a copy of what it was before revert if possible. Thank you.

Additionally, I did not write anything about it, however I wondered about the Waypoint Advance conditions as described in the wiki because they appeared to allow flexibility (which can be good), yet it appeared that they could lead to Waypoint Advancement which could allow unwary to stray into bad water (I will admit, I have not used the feature), so I will leave it at that.

I look forward to the discussion.
Rick

It's a part of the system that all earlier revisions are saved. When logged in, just clich "Revision", an pick your revision to see how it used to look. Please don't do any "revert" just yet! This is exactly why I have mentioned earlier about how eaysy it is to revert.

Thomas

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn