Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 15:14   #46

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Release Candidate 3.3.2430 Released

Quote:
These raster symbols are part of IHO standards for ECDIS, which we support. We won't fool around with them in normal operation, because they were designed for universal use.

We could of course have a Feature Request for another mode entirely. But the default mode will be IHO ECDIS compatible.

So please don't expect that the default mode will arbitrarily grow the bitmaps with normal zoom/scales. Won't happen.
Yes, did read it and I have made a Tracker Request.
Did not understand (or could not believe) that ECDIS would prevent me from seeing soundings without glasses. I do not know this standard. Have seen a feature in Garmin that enlarges soundings.

Without understanding all the complications or dependencies, it seems like they are simply little raster symbol files that can be scaled which is done to CAD symbol files (raster + vector info) a lot. Perhaps there is some scaling complication I am not understanding.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1711961

---Don't worry a minute about it now!

PS: Happy New Year! My dear friend and patient wife has asked me to stop make NY Resolutions....
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 15:25   #47
Marine Service Provider

Happy Seagull...

Just to confirm:

I plan to add "NAD27" to the accepted list of datums.

Will this cause you any particular trouble?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 15:41   #48

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Happy Seagull...

Just to confirm:

I plan to add "NAD27" to the accepted list of datums.

Will this cause you any particular trouble?

Thanks
Dave
No. did you try Stargazer's chart?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 15:45   #49

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dear Happy Seagull,

Tried messing with this. Relocated the box and close.
ah,good. just thought it might be written to a better place on a first start
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:46   #50

Thomas,

Thank you for the link to the Manual as exported
OpenCPN User Manual
Did not know that is what it would look like.

I have changed the Climatology Screenshots from Table (neat looking) to vertical as you suggested, because the table with click to enlarge does not work on export, too bad.

I have been augmenting Weatherfax_pi as well, in process, but I note that Weather_Routing did not come through at all, it is a big blank with a note. Do you know why? What should I do about it? There's a lot there.

Thanks
Old 31-12-2014, 19:02   #51

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick...
Every page in the wiki, when edited, has a "Book outline" section at the bottom. You have to define where it fits in the manual (if it has to be there) - In this case "OpenCPN User Manual" and "Plugins" as a parent item is what has to be there. Fixed now.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 20:28   #52

Thomas,
Have to resize images in Weatherfax, they're not working properly, uploaded them too large. The way I've fixed this in the past is by download ---> resize locally ---> Upload.

Are there any shortcuts? I have tried resizing in my User File Browser and it does not work. Do I have to remove the images in the document first before this will work?

Can I have the File Browser up at the same time as I am editing the Plugin page?
Would like to do that, but I've been locked out while editing due to another user making changes and I have to go back and copy all the changes etc....
Old 31-12-2014, 20:37   #53

In the export of the manual I find this. This is not right we have a complete comprehensive writeup done!!! What is wrong here?

Quote:
Weather Routing Plugin

Need to add images and create instructions.

Plugin to use predicitive gridded data in the Grib and Climatology plugins to determine the best predicted routing.
Later... whoops. Thank you Pavel! I still haven't got that outline totally figured out.

Nite --- and Happy New Year! --I guess I must be slightly nuts.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:51   #54

Boat: Phantom 19

Rick...
Yes, I know. I'm afraid it is a product of a bug in the system the website uses and unfixable without direct access to the database bellow it. We will take care of it in the final 4.0 product manually and keep the systematic solution for alter.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 00:47   #55

Boat: Dufour 35

Rick and Pavel

There is an old bug in the wiki when it comes to adjust the size of pictures. The generated "style" code does not work. A workaround is to get rid of styles in the img tag and just write, for example "width=500".

Another bug is that code where a thumbnail picture is a link to a larger picture, does not make it in the "export" process. For now I think it's best to just show a reasonable sized picture, no thumbnails and no links.
Climatology is a good example of this.

There is an unfix-able (for now) doubling up of the Weather Routing entry. We have to take care of this manually in the 4.0 documentation.

Just copying text and pictures from this forum leads to a lot of garbage code in our documentation......

Anything else ?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:00   #56

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
On W7 I received the message as of attached picture and the directory "CrashReports" wasn't created. .............
Håkan
With the last commit this is now OK also on W7. No message and the directory was created
Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:15   #57

Boat: Najad 34

A route creation note:
If I create a route by "Start navigation to here" the waypoints are created with visible names, like 001, 002 etc.) If I add or include waypoints to this route the new waypoint(s) don't get visible names.
As a matter of consistency both way of waypoint creation would give the same result. Personally I prefer without visible names.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:47   #58

Boat: Dufour 35

Regarding old Canadian Raster Charts.
With the latest git code NAD27 is now accepted.
Going through my collection, there are still some rejected charts, all with "GD=UNKNOWN".
I have not gone through all of them. From the samples I saw there were two cases.
Example 495401.KAP. The charts Datum Notice states that early version of NAD683 is used, still the kap file calls it "UNKNOWN". Probably fairly safe to change to NAD83.
Example 442001.KAP. No Datum notice on the chart. It should still be possible, with some digging, to find out what datum was used. This is a typical example of a chart were O can't just guess that WGS84 will be alright. It's better not to display it and warn the user in the log.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:13   #59
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

Still concerned with the failure to immediately show GRIB and Dashboard PlugIns in correct French. This is a potential release blocker...

Any new status or amplification to report?

Anyone else haveing trouble with language support on default (2) PlugIns?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:40   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Regarding old Canadian Raster Charts.
With the latest git code NAD27 is now accepted.
Going through my collection, there are still some rejected charts, all with "GD=UNKNOWN".
I have not gone through all of them. From the samples I saw there were two cases.
Example 495401.KAP. The charts Datum Notice states that early version of NAD683 is used, still the kap file calls it "UNKNOWN". Probably fairly safe to change to NAD83.
Example 442001.KAP. No Datum notice on the chart. It should still be possible, with some digging, to find out what datum was used. This is a typical example of a chart were O can't just guess that WGS84 will be alright. It's better not to display it and warn the user in the log.

Thomas
All these datum issues have gotten me thinking...rather than refuse to load the non-compliant charts, would it be preferable to allow them to load with a conspicuous warning? I have in mind a large transparent red "X" across the whole window. Something that you can't miss, but is transparent enough to see through.

My thinking is this: Somewhere out there is a guy who charters every year in some far-off land who has used O v3.x.x successfully for the past several years. Just before heading off next month, he upgrades to v4, and doesn't test his old charts. Upon arriving at his destination, his charts refuse to load. I think it would be better to provide some limited functionality, rather than totally refusing to load.

I understand, and agree with, the concerns over providing bad navigational data. But just like the overzoom issue, where we allow users to follow "bad practice" using blurring/fogging and fatter lines to provide onscreen reminders, I think we should allow loading of non-compliant charts with some appropriate ever-present warning.

On a somewhat related point, two years ago I Zoomified the NGA charts of the BVI (apparently just days before NOAA took them offline). I laboriously converted them to KAP, and successfully used them during a charter down there. Since I haven't done it since, I can't even remember all the utilities I had to use to calibrate them, set the datum to WGS, etc. But whatever I did must have been correct in the eyes of O, because these charts have continued to load under recent builds.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn