Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-01-2015, 03:47   #76

Re: OpenCPN Release Candidate 3.3.2430 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I think we should allow loading of non-compliant charts with some appropriate ever-present warning.
I'd certainly second that view.

Sometimes a seemingly non-compliant chart may be the only source of some important information. People do use hand-made sketches sometimes, and it is nice to have even very strange charts visible in context, if only technically possible. With eyes open, the attached example could even be used today ...

Besides that, it is fun to try various things ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tenerife_DeBuch_1815.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	94699  

Old 02-01-2015, 08:40   #77

Boat: 29'

My kerfuffle above still begs the question:
How many people have bsb/kaps that are not actually compliant with WGS84? the bsb/kap format only dates from the 90's . As above, my charts displayed as NAD27 but were internally corrected to WGS84.
How many people make charts that wouldn't be compliant with WGS84 gps positions? . ..that is, how many people make charts without attempting to correct for the maps' old survey datum?
Because, whatever the printed lines of latitude and longitude are, I would always want my gps to place me accurately on the topography or bathymetry however old the drawing was.

I think only hand-held hiker/surveyor? gps have an option to change datums and the only time I have ever used the option was to place myself on a printed paper map or chart.

As to big red crosses across the display, I hope not!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:11   #78

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Fast moving thread -
Quote:
Dave, The zoom to cursor problem reared its ugly head again in build 2430. It works fine with "Smooth panning/zooming" activated. But when you turn that feature off, zoom focus is the click location (when clicking on zoom toolbar icon) or mouse location (when pressing + or - on keyboard). IIRC, this is the exact opposite from before, when the problem happened with smooth activated.
Verified on both Win7 desktop and Win8 tablet.
RDr your post got me interested. On a dell xps 17 laptop, I tried both Nvidia graphics Opengl and without, using 3.3.2430 most recent compile, with zoom to cursor enabled. I have tried Charts > "None" (chart group set to show the background gshhs), ENC, CM98, BSB.

It seemed to me that Opengl with BSB was right on when zooming, even down to Overzoom and beyond to 33x . However I had to hold the mouse down with one hand and roll the wheel. Zooming out worked great, but zooming in is more dependent on holding that cursor exactly in place....as a slight move causes a shift and the chart starts moving off from your intention more easily. The ENC charts work about the same as the BSB, but the gshhs charts are not as accurate and have a shift between scales which is very noticeable and causes a jump to occur, particularly zooming in. This is all re Opengl on.

When I turn it off, zoom to cursor seems to do very well at large scales zoomed way out, and when I zoom in, depending on exactly what I pick, it is sensitive to any little jiggle. I tried repeability by zooming in to a bouy, getting the cursor right on, then zoom way out and back, but I would always have a little jiggle in the mouse at some point which would offset it a bit. I did notice that in some areas there is a jump at a change in charts and a particular bouy or target might offset in some direction a bit. I believe this is due to a skewed chart at some scale level and due to normal cartography inaccuracies. I found opengl off to be more susceptable to "strayiing" from intended target at the more zoomed in levels (more so than with Opengl on), but I do think the charts are trying to zoom to the cursor.

--And I acknowledge that there is some tendency to "stray" at the more zoomed in levels.

This is very subjective, but what do you find at different levels with different chart types? I suppose we need a little fixed cursor zoom app that would allow putting in lat long coords that fixes the cursor, and then just zoom in and out with different charts to see what happens.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:11   #79
Marine Service Provider

International Folks...

I still cannot reproduce the problem where the initial install in French does not show the PlugIn Preferences in French until a restart.

I have created a small video:
1. uninstalling O
2. installing O in French
3. Enable Dashboard PlugIn
4. Show his Preferences (in French!)
5. Show Dashboard (in French)

All of this looks and works right for me. No restart required.
But maybe I have the recipe wrong....

Perhaps some who have seen this problem could watch the video, and tell me how their experiences differ.

Thanks
Dave
https://www.dropbox.com/s/urfnllnyuk...stall.avi?dl=0
Old 02-01-2015, 09:15   #80

I am really not an expert on datums and chart plotting software but, the previous version of the OpenCpn Beta correctly positioned my 1996-7 Canadian charts and SeaClear II does not. The difference is most notable in my charts of Dodd Narrows near Nanaimo. I use ISailor on my iPad for trip planning and then export the routes to OpenCpn. OpenCpn plots the waypoints perfectly. SeaClear II puts the way points farther east and the waypoint in the narrows on dry land. I believe that OpenCpn is correctly plotting these Nad27 charts correctly and SeaCear is not.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:51   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Fast moving thread -

RDr your post got me interested. On a dell xps 17 laptop, I tried both Nvidia graphics Opengl and without, using 3.3.2430 most recent compile, with zoom to cursor enabled. I have tried Charts > "None" (chart group set to show the background gshhs), ENC, CM98, BSB.

It seemed to me that Opengl with BSB was right on when zooming, even down to Overzoom and beyond to 33x . However I had to hold the mouse down with one hand and roll the wheel. Zooming out worked great, but zooming in is more dependent on holding that cursor exactly in place....as a slight move causes a shift and the chart starts moving off from your intention more easily. The ENC charts work about the same as the BSB, but the gshhs charts are not as accurate and have a shift between scales which is very noticeable and causes a jump to occur, particularly zooming in. This is all re Opengl on.

When I turn it off, zoom to cursor seems to do very well at large scales zoomed way out, and when I zoom in, depending on exactly what I pick, it is sensitive to any little jiggle. I tried repeability by zooming in to a bouy, getting the cursor right on, then zoom way out and back, but I would always have a little jiggle in the mouse at some point which would offset it a bit. I did notice that in some areas there is a jump at a change in charts and a particular bouy or target might offset in some direction a bit. I believe this is due to a skewed chart at some scale level and due to normal cartography inaccuracies. I found opengl off to be more susceptable to "strayiing" from intended target at the more zoomed in levels (more so than with Opengl on), but I do think the charts are trying to zoom to the cursor.

--And I acknowledge that there is some tendency to "stray" at the more zoomed in levels.

This is very subjective, but what do you find at different levels with different chart types? I suppose we need a little fixed cursor zoom app that would allow putting in lat long coords that fixes the cursor, and then just zoom in and out with different charts to see what happens.
Zooming with the mouse wheel is irrelevant to this bug. The problem appears strictly when zooming using the toolbar icons, or zooming withe + and - keys when the mouse is away from the center of the screen. It occurs with all chart types that I've tested, and independent of whether OpenGL is activated.

In these cases, "Zoom to Cursor" setting should be irrelevant, because you're zooming to center. But with the settings that I described (smooth scroll off), the zooming is not to center, it is to wherever the cursor is located.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08   #82
Marine Service Provider

Happy...
re:
"As to big red crosses across the display, I hope not!"

We could always blur/fog the chart....

No, no, just kidding.
Really.

Dave
Old 02-01-2015, 11:07   #83

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
International Folks...

I still cannot reproduce the problem where the initial install in French does not show the PlugIn Preferences in French until a restart.

I have created a small video:
2. installing O in French
But maybe I have the recipe wrong....
..... and tell me how their experiences differ.

Dave
From the beginning, your approach is different from ours.

When we run the installation, the installer proposes to make the installation in French. And then the installation starts.

So we will never pass by the English in line with language change. Because to us, O starts directly in French.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:46   #84

RDr Must have misunderstood your post. Sorry. I had to look up the action in the manual for Zoom to Cursor as I forget.

Quote:
Zoom to Cursor: Normally when clicking on the screen, the display centers on the clicked point. The wheel zooms in/out always using the center of the display. With this box ticked, the zooming happens at the point of the cursor. This means that as soon as you start to zoom in the cursor stay in the same place on the screen and on approximately the same geographical position. The advantage is that the zooming in position can be fine tuned just using the cursor.
The "Zoom in" and "Zoom Out" buttons, as well as the short cuts "+" and "-", will still use the center of the display for zooming, even when "Zoom to Cursor" is on.
"Smooth Panning/Zooming", see previous item, will be completely disabled if ZoomToCursor is enabled.
Did not know smooth panning is disabled when zoom to cursor is on...
Old 02-01-2015, 12:17   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerWA View Post
I am really not an expert on datums and chart plotting software but, the previous version of the OpenCpn Beta correctly positioned my 1996-7 Canadian charts and SeaClear II does not. The difference is most notable in my charts of Dodd Narrows near Nanaimo. I use ISailor on my iPad for trip planning and then export the routes to OpenCpn. OpenCpn plots the waypoints perfectly. SeaClear II puts the way points farther east and the waypoint in the narrows on dry land. I believe that OpenCpn is correctly plotting these Nad27 charts correctly and SeaCear is not.
I had the same issue with Seaclear. I think we know why, now.
Old 02-01-2015, 13:32   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Dave,

The zoom to cursor problem reared its ugly head again in build 2430. It works fine with "Smooth panning/zooming" activated. But when you turn that feature off, zoom focus is the click location (when clicking on zoom toolbar icon) or mouse location (when pressing + or - on keyboard). IIRC, this is the exact opposite from before, when the problem happened with smooth activated.

Verified on both Win7 desktop and Win8 tablet.
aside from being illogical to use "zoom to cursor" and then use toolbar buttons ??? I am trying this (Smooth deactivated opengl on or off-I think) It does what you say (I even moved the toolbar around) .Behaviour differs when smooth zoom is ON.

It seems logical (at first anyways) that it would zoom to the toolbar + or - buttons when the cursor is on these clicking , but we would agree on why then, does behaviour change when smooth zoom is used.....?
Maybe the issue is more evident when the mouse is not attached . I will have to reboot to try that!

Win7-64
Old 02-01-2015, 15:24   #87

Thomas,

Climatology,
Weather_routing
Celestial_Navigation
Weatherfax

Wiki writeups are fixed and done as far as I am concerned. There will always be more to add to Weather_routing because Sean has built such a deep plugin, and I will get to it later. The Weather_routing thread is a good place to pick stuff up too.

I could not solve the problem with the linked images, it was not due to badly formed html and whatever does the processing, just drops the html and leaves a # sign.

So the best alternative was to show all images without linking at full size.
Then I also kept the Table with one thumbnail linked image in each cell at the bottom of each group, separated by two horizontal lines and capitalized comments in the html. The full image versions are for the exported documentation. The table and linked thumbnails are intended for the online website wiki, and I would like to keep those until things get fixed.

It is my suggestion that you keep both in the online wiki, and just export for program documentation, then go into the resultant hmtl and edit the leftovers of the table and text out. At some point we'll be able to consolidate but I'd like to keep both versions until then.

Also I took copies of the html code for each of the plugin wiki's just as backup.

I had a question about how some of the photos got saved somewhere else and I did not really have access to them, I don''t think.... how does that work? The html for the img tag was a little convoluted so simplified it, but it would be nice to know if we have access to the alternative file system. ----IE should I be uploading files to some other location than my individual online File Browser?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 15:25   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
aside from being illogical to use "zoom to cursor" and then use toolbar buttons ???
Not really illogical at all. When I am working on my desktop computer, I'll sometimes use the scroll wheel on my mouse (when I want to zoom in on something away from the center of the screen), and other times when I want to zoom on the center I'll press the + key or click on the + icon. This is true in both OpenCPN and Google Maps, which has sort of become a de facto standard for user interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
It seems logical (at first anyways) that it would zoom to the toolbar + or - buttons when the cursor is on these clicking , but we would agree on why then, does behaviour change when smooth zoom is used.....?
My note was addressed to Dave because we had communicated on this issue before during testing of 3.3.2424, and he is already familiar with it. But his prior fix seems to have broken something else.
Old 02-01-2015, 15:57   #89
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

re:
Code:
From the beginning, your approach is different from ours.

When we run the installation, the installer proposes to make the installation in French. And then the installation starts.

So we will never pass by the English in line with language change. Because to us, O starts directly in French.
So, after a day's work of downloading,etc., I set up a completely French WIN7 machine.

As you have said, the OCPN installer starts in French, so I proceed straight on.
And...

Same result. All in French, even PlugIns. No Problem seen, no restart required.

I am mystified.

Gerhard, what about German? Any additional information?

Thanks
Dave
Old 02-01-2015, 16:05   #90
Marine Service Provider

RD...

I concur with your observation. Fix coming next.

Say it this way:
1.Keyboard, Menubar, and Toolbar zooms always zoom to center screen. Always.
2.Wheel zoom behaviour changes depending on ZTC and SmoothZoom settings.

Or another way:
ZTC applies only to wheel zooms.

In O4.2 we will change the Options message to make this clear.

Thanks
Dave

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: