Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 11:15   #76

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Dave,

I complete my post about using my touchpad in W 10 (post # 72 of this thread).

I tried to place a mark. See sceen copy. You may find that it is very, very small on the screen. See also the very small size of the boat icon. And cursor settings in the options makes no difference.

I return to the font size of the font used. I have made several adjustments. I noticed that most of the texts were originally in size "4". I put these texts in size "10" so that it is easily readable.
Rather than changing, one by one, all the character sizes, it would be preferable to have a slider acting on all the character sizes simultaneously. It would be much more convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-04_Ecran-total_avec_waypoint.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	116129  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:22   #77
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Gilletarom,

what is the detected screen size for your 10" hi-res device? The correct one?

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:26   #78

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Dave,

It is a bug in the dashboard NMEA data handling. I can submit a PR tonight.

Background: When a MWD message is received the parser replaces any blank data with 999 to indicate the data was missing. There are apparently a lot of messages with just true wind direction but the speed fields are blank. So when the 999 wind speed is sent to the wind instrument it tries to display but it probably should just ignore values of 999. Or dashboard_pi should not send these.
Correction: The MWD sentence is not "True Wind" but rather is wind direction and is relative to true north. The PB200 can apparently be set to not populate the speed in this message which is good because it avoids confusion with the wind speed provided by the more useful "True Wind Speed and Angle" VWT sentence used by polars. The solution is nevertheless the same. If there is no speed field then we should not send the value 999.0 to any dashboard instruments. A PR has been submitted to github.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32   #79

Boat: Dufour 35

Post #
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2003340

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Hi Pavel,

I also just found out that the simplified Graphic Style is in the latest version the default setting. Changing this setting to Paper Chart resolve the Problem. Why is now the option Simplified added ? Never seen this before. I think is better to make the Paper Charts the default setting.

And with the removing of the OpenCpn settings map, I was back to the default state.

The former modern Icons worked correctly, except the Chart Orientation/GPS status window.

Anyhow, things are now running fine.

Regards,

Bram
*"Paper Chart" is the default setting, at least on Linux. I just tested with letting O create a new opencpn.conf (ini on win).
*"Simplified" is not a new setting. It's part of the standard and has been an option from the beginning of OpenCPN. Check the manual!

Why you had the problem, I don't know. Things happen ......

/Thomas
Today I was "forced" to install 1301 on a Windows 10 laptop.
I found that "simplified" was indeed ticked by default.
Why are there different defaults on win and lin?
Is that due to the Win install script?
/Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 15:16   #80

Hubert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Gilletarom,
what is the detected screen size for your 10" hi-res device? The correct one?
Hubert
There is a small difference. The screen is about 216/217 mm. In automatic mode, the announcement lenght is 223 mmm.

But, the fact of entering 316 or 317 does not change the size of icons, or anything else.
Old 04-01-2016, 18:09   #81
Marine Service Provider

did-g...

re:
The issue with my font is wx 3.0.2 but it's the same in wx git:
There's an Ubuntu font family (default? native?)...

I agree with your analysis. This sure looks to me like a bug in wxWidgets/gtk.

Looks like we have trouble in two places:

1. chcanv.cpp Grid display.
2. S52PLIB text display.

All other instances of FindOrCreateFont() are one-time, or infrequently called. So not much resource impact. But these two are are called lots, and generate a new font every time.

(1) is easy to fix. We just cache the font in the chart canvas class. I'll do that.

(2) is more trouble. I guess the correct solution is to implement our own fontlist in the S52PLIB, and emulate the function of FindorCreateFont().

Any other ideas?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:49   #82
Marine Service Provider

@cagney...

re:
Today I was "forced" to install 1301 on a Windows 10 laptop.
I found that "simplified" was indeed ticked by default.
Why are there different defaults on win and lin?
Is that due to the Win install script?
/Thomas

I cannot reproduce this. The defaults for this value are not set by the install script, but by empty config file on first run. You will see that on a very fresh install, there should be no config file at all until O is run for the first time.

What happens (on Windows) if you delete or rename the config file and start O from scratch?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 19:16   #83
Marine Service Provider

@Chris....

re:
where does Tides get the time from?

My pc is set to UTC but when I display a tides graph the caption is showing AST.. which I think is UTC -4 which is incorrect for my location anyway... whatever I want UTC only. Note the red bar on the graph and see the time in the dashboard.

1. in the Tide graph window, O calculates time and zone based on the zone of the selected tide station. In this case, it finds Z-4.
It is pretty hard to guess the time zone of a location based on ownship lat/lon, unless you are well at sea and away from arbitrary policy decisions made on land. So we can only use the TZ of the tide station, and assume you are close enough to that station that it's TZ makes sense, or maybe 1 hour out.

2. O currently shows "AST" for Z-4, which of course applies only to North America. I'll fix this to be more meaningful for other locations.

If you want the graphic rendered in UTC, this will need a new Feature Request to enable that function. Not doable for O4.2, I'm afraid. But would be useful for future Releases...

As far as the accuracy of the tidal heights in the graphic, O simply interprets the data provided by the constituent files presently loaded. What files are you using, and can you make any sense of the error?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 19:18   #84
Marine Service Provider

@ {unidentified}...

re:
I have the following PI's grib, ge2kap, Dashboard, Squidio, GoodAnchorage, WMM, Chartdownloader.
Activating/Deactivating Squidio, GoodAnchorage and WMM cause the toolbar to shrink to the postage stamp icon; the others do not.

Sorry, lost the note with OP identified...

I cannot reproduce this. May we have amplifying information? System, config, etc?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 19:21   #85
Marine Service Provider

@Gilletarom...

re:
I confirm that the dashboard does not function properly.
I just created a new dashboard, knowing that there already was one. The old dashboard is no longer displayed and only the new displays.
The check box of the old dashboard is not checked. This explain why the old dashboard no longer displays.

I am not sure about this. I cannot reproduce this exactly. Could you tell us more? Exact steps to reproduce?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 19:43   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
@Chris....

re:
where does Tides get the time from?

My pc is set to UTC but when I display a tides graph the caption is showing AST.. which I think is UTC -4 which is incorrect for my location anyway... whatever I want UTC only. Note the red bar on the graph and see the time in the dashboard.

If you want the graphic rendered in UTC, this will need a new Feature Request to enable that function. Not doable for O4.2, I'm afraid. But would be useful for future Releases...

As far as the accuracy of the tidal heights in the graphic, O simply interprets the data provided by the constituent files presently loaded. What files are you using, and can you make any sense of the error?

Thanks
Dave

Dave,

Can't the tide graph be made to display the PC's click time?

I'll submit a feature request for UTC. I don't use anything else for navigation, logs etc.

Looking back at the error in time - I think that was somewhere between the screen and keyboard. The red line seems to show the correct state of tide as do the little bar graphs on the chart. I just couldn't get my head around the time difference the other day.

I'm using data that I think I originally purloined from wx tides or some such. Tallies close enough with the latest TimeZero for my purposes

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 00:49   #87

Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
@Gilletarom...
I confirm that the dashboard does not function properly.
.... The check box of the old dashboard is not checked. ...

I am not sure about this. I cannot reproduce this exactly. Could you tell us more? Exact steps to reproduce?
Dave
I think you're right. I have the bad habit of closing a dashboard by clicking on the red cross of the dashboard. But this action, un-tick the same time, the check box "Show this dashboard" in the preferences dashboards.
This is probably why I did.

For users like me, this would require closing a dashboard by clicking on the red cross, make this dashboard hide that during the sale of OpenCPN underway.
Another idea would be that, as in the toolbar, by selecting the red cross, the instrument panel is reduced to a storage icon. It would then be enough to click the Storage icon to the dashboard opens again.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22   #88

Dave, All,

With my Lenovo U41, W 8.1. (Note first : The checkbox "Enable touchscreen interface" is not checked)

I just noticed a strange operation of the toolbar, which is functioning partially probably wanted.

1. On the right of the toolbar, you can left-click the last icon. In this case, the toolbar ranks and turns into a storage icon. No problem.

2. Instead of making a left click, you can right-click. A new icon (black cross) replaces the last icon on the right. This helps move the bar of icons on the map area.
a) I note that it is not possible to dock the bar of icons at the bottom of the screen. This may be wanted?
b) If you have one or two clicks left on the black cross, you can have both the icon bar, with its black cross and the Storage icon on the toolbar.
I did a lot of testing right click or left click on the black cross and / or on the Storage icon on the toolbar.

In my options, I chose to keep the transparency of the icon bar. During testing I just tell it even happened that:
- The Storage icon on the toolbar is present on the screen
- The icon bar is present on the screen
- The icon bar is semi transparent.

It even happened several times that having the toolbar icon and storage present simultaneously, the storage icon changes to a gray square with just a dark gray dot in the upper left. I guess this is a bug.

I do not understand the logic of the operation. Who can describe completely? What I have just explained it contains bugs compared to what is expected?

With my tablet 10 inch, W10. (In this case, The checkbox "Enable touchscreen interface" is checked)
No problem.
1° If I tick with my thinger, on the left icon of toolbar, the tool bar is storage.
2° If I tick on storage icon of toolbar, the toolbar is dispayed.
3° If I tick a long time on the left icon of the toolbar, the left icon is replaced by the black cross.
4° If Itick on this black cross, the toolbar change fron horizotal to vertical and if I tick one another, the toolbar return horizontal.
5° If I tick a long time on the black cross, it return to the first left icon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-01-05-OpenCPN 4.1.1301_Icon-bar_A.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	116179   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-05-OpenCPN 4.1.1301_Icon-bar_B.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	116180  

Old 05-01-2016, 02:49   #89

Hello,

Error of English translation, in my previous post. Replace, at the good place by this :

"In my options, I chose to not keep the transparency of the icon bar. During testing I just tell it even happened that:
- The Storage icon on the toolbar is present on the screen
- The icon bar is present on the screen
- The icon bar is semi transparent."

Sorry.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:27   #90
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

ENCs (S-63), panning breaks part of the chart. Zooming in or out brings the correct picture back.
Win 8.1 Dell XPS13, OpenGL OFF,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2016-01-05 13_02_10-OpenCPN 4.1.1301-artifact-63-OpenGl_off.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	116186   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-05 13_02_10-OpenCPN 4.1.1301-artifact_2-63-OpenGl_off.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	116187  

bcn is offline   Reply With Quote