Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 15:42   #136

Boat: Farr 1104
Re: OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 Release

Windows 7, Acer laptop, OpenGL off. After opening OpenCPN 4.1.1301, tools Icon does not work, just brightens top line. I can open options via Ctl-, or via menu, and thereafter tools icon works. If I close the program and reopen, I am back to tools icon not working.
Rapport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 00:52   #137

Boat: Richter 42

Hi,
I have created SVG icons for the OD plugin and they seem to load up OK. However, when they are rendered in the toolbar they are missing parts, or are just blank. Is there anything special that needs to be done in the SVG that allows OCPN to render the icons correctly?

Thanks
Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:12   #138
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Jon,

perhaps the strokes of some lines are too thin and are disappearing when converting (and downsampling) the .svg to .png

In Inkscape you can create png tiles of any user defined pixel size from your svg object.
This gives you the opportunity to check for the "look" at let's say 16x16px or 24x24px, etc. size

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40   #139

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jon, I noticed that the OD manager icon (the one icon I converted) lost its interior coloring and the transparency was lost according to a message.

I am not sure if transparency is needed, but it is an additional bit. I knew you wanted the blue stripes, which BCN explained.

Does anyone know if the transparency is needed?

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:03   #140

Boat: Hylas 44

The embedded BSB chart georeferencing algorithms in small scale US West Coast charts are very inaccurate and should not be used in ChartCanvas::GetDoubleCanvasPointPixVP and ChartCanvas::GetCanvasPixPoint. Dragging chart 50_1.KAP in DC mode will illustrate the problem.

The fact that points are not checked for presence in the chart makes the problem worse.

Maybe we should check to prevent small scale charts from using the embedded algorithm. Or maybe there is another test.

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:56   #141
Marine Service Provider

Chuck...

I'm not seeing the problem with 50_1.KAP. For me, the grid lines seems to line up pretty well. What else should I be looking at?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:18   #142
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

re:
Another curiosity. eee PC 10 inch, Linux ubuntu. With Chartdownloader.
I try to download french inland charts. They are below brasil charts.
Impossible. I can not use the slider on the right of the window.
See the two screen copy here join. When I try to up the mouse pointer on the slider, it disappear.

Acknowledge. This is a bug between Ubuntu "Overlay Scrollbars" and wxWidgets 3.x. Seems not possible to fix in OpenCPN, directly.

Probably won't ever be fixed in wxWidgets nor Ubuntu, since the "overlay scrollbars" have been dropped from Ubuntu after 14.04.

Workaround:
1. Use the arrow keys/mouse wheel to reach the desired selection.

.or.

2. Disable "overlay scrollbars" on the entire system.

From a terminal in Ubuntu desktop:
Code:
$gsettings set com.canonical.desktop.interface scrollbar-mode normal
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-01-2016, 12:31   #143

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Chuck...

I'm not seeing the problem with 50_1.KAP. For me, the grid lines seems to line up pretty well. What else should I be looking at?

Dave
Zoom in and then drag the chart. The point under the cursor moves around.

Chuck

I submitted a pull request that seems to fix the problem.
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:32   #144

Boat: Richter 42

Hubert,
The issue seems to be with icons with Text on them, i.e. Text Point has a 'T' and a '+' which don't show up. I did a conversion in inkscape to png and it worked fine, so there must be 'something' in the way I am using the wxSVGDocument to do the conversion, although I use the same method as OCPN.

Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Jon,

perhaps the strokes of some lines are too thin and are disappearing when converting (and downsampling) the .svg to .png

In Inkscape you can create png tiles of any user defined pixel size from your svg object.
This gives you the opportunity to check for the "look" at let's say 16x16px or 24x24px, etc. size

Hubert
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:34   #145

We need users familar with various OS Install routines to review and edit the Opencpn Installation page for these OS. We look for brevity and clarity. David Kester did Windows. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:40   #146

For the User Manual does anyone know if there is a way to have a Left Menu item, use a hyperlink directly rather than a page.

When we have two locations in the menu outline which need the same documentation, we have been using "Jump Pages" for one of the locations. These jump pages have only a link in them.

I would like to hardwire the actual link into the menu item, provided it does not break the PHP script and Export Wiki, so we don't need the Jump Page.

Look at Plugins Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage
on the top tier which jumps to Toolbar_plugins
Plugins | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I would like to avoid the Jump page and need for the second click somehow.
Is there a way to do that?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:43   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongough View Post
Hubert,
The issue seems to be with icons with Text on them, i.e. Text Point has a 'T' and a '+' which don't show up. I did a conversion in inkscape to png and it worked fine, so there must be 'something' in the way I am using the wxSVGDocument to do the conversion, although I use the same method as OCPN.

Jon
In wxSVG tree on sourceforge there's a svgview tool, could you double check with it or put your file somewhere?
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 13:52   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Chuck...

Dave
The attached screenshot shows US chart 50_1 as displayed by OpenCPN. OpenGL is OFF. Quilting is OFF. The heavy horizontal line about a quarter of the screen height above the bottom of the screen is the 20 degree north latitude line from the chart image. The line on the chart is broken for the "Dutton Seamount" label and "2489" depth. Above that heavy line is the thin gray line indicating 20 degrees north in the grid displayed by OpenCPN. The two lines are about 17 nautical miles apart.

The Island of Oahu is at the center of the screen. The blue line is a route that passes close to the south shore of Oahu on large scale charts. The image of the land is south of the light green outlines of larger scale charts.

WNW of Oahu is the Island of Kauai. The image of the island is centered on the south boundary of the "Island of Kauai" chart (19381_1.kap) that shows the whole island.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50_1.png
Views:	113
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	116439  
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 14:41   #149

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

We used the RC for a 2 hour cruise today and I have to say I'm underwhelmed. It's a slug - I don't know how else to describe it. We run it on an HP AIO quad core machine so I don't think lack of hardware is the problem. Screen refreshes are painfully slow. A pan or zoom waits a slow 2 or 3 count before it happens. More troubling is that pans at high zooms are 180 degrees wrong about half the time. Which could be seriously alarming in the wrong spot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if I was a newbie who downloaded this version to try I'd go back to whatever I was last using. We're crossing Juan de Fuca tomorrow so no doubt I'll whine some more tomorrow night.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.travellingwithgeorge.blogspot.com
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 16:22   #150
Marine Service Provider

@bobofthenorth....

If I remember correctly, you are not using OpenGL, and use primarily raster (KAP) charts. And you have a high resolution display. Is all that so?

We found a serious performance bottle-neck in 1301 when not using OpenGL, and it may apply to you.

Please confirm your configuration. If possible, I'll try to get a special out to you for testing tomorrow....

Thanks
Dave

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn