Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-01-2016, 07:06   #106

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN RC(2) 4.1.1317 Release

Scaleable icons, cont.
Win10, laptop screen 1366x768
By today's patch OCPN icons are now scaleable below zero, thanks.
Some observations though:
See attached screenshots. (I'm using Journeyman, yes)
a)
Scale -1: OCPN icons except WMM are scaled, plugins are not. I suppose it's up to each plugin to adapt to this functionality? But WMM is more or less inbound and would follow core O? (Since I need to see the red dot in BR24_Radar icon this scale is not useful for me.)
b)
Scale 0: All icons are fine.
c)
Scale +1: All OCPN and plugin icons are fine except WMM.

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon--1.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	117399   Click image for larger version

Name:	icon-0.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	117400  

Name:	icon-2.PNG
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	117401  

Old 24-01-2016, 08:40   #107

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
chuck,

Does the grib have to be so large to cause a crash?
Sean

It appears that a grib of around 20 meg causes crashes. The duty cycle is about 30%.

Old 24-01-2016, 08:46   #108
Marine Service Provider

Chuck...

I'm stuck on low bandwidth, so cannot get a huge GRIB to test.

From your screenshot of the crash in VS2013, it looks like it is having trouble indexing into the data table.

Code:
data[j*Ni+i]
If you could produce a crash in debub mode as above, and probe these index variables j, Ni, and i. Compare them to the array size. Probably find an out-of-bounds access. This will be a hint.

Thanks
Dave
Old 24-01-2016, 10:24   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Chuck...

If you could produce a crash in debub mode as above, and probe these index variables j, Ni, and i. Compare them to the array size. Probably find an out-of-bounds access. This will be a hint.

Thanks
Dave
Dave

Here are trace snapshots of the variables after crash. Notice that j is always equal to Nj.

Name:	w3.PNG
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	117406

Name:	w4.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	117407

chuck
Old 24-01-2016, 16:49   #110

OpenCPN RC(2) 4.1.1317 incorrectly handles the border polygon of NOAA RNC 5161_1.KAP. This is a skewed Mercator chart. Here is a screenshot showing the chart image in the correct location, but its border is shown distorted and to the southwest of its correct location. This image was made after Options>Charts>Force Full Database Rebuild.

Name:	Beta_4_1_1317.png
Views:	55
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	117485

OpenCPN RC 4.1.1301 handles this chart correctly. Here is a screenshot made after "Force Full Database Rebuild".

Name:	Beta_4_1_1301.png
Views:	53
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	117486

My build with the commits to the master that were made on January 16 also handles this chart correctly as shown in this screenshot. Again, this was after a rebuild of the chartbase.

Name:	Build_4_1_1316.png
Views:	61
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	117488

The problem seems to be caused when the chartbase is rebuilt. If 4.1.1317 is used rebuild the chartbase, earlier builds of OpenCPN 4.1.xxxx display the border and chart image in different places. If an earlier build or beta is used to rebuild the chartbase, 4.1.1317 displays the chart correctly.

A chart group containing only chart 5161_1.KAP was used for the screenshots to reduce the clutter of many chart borders. The chartbase contains over 3000 raster charts

Paul
Old 24-01-2016, 17:35   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Paul. View Post
OpenCPN RC(2) 4.1.1317 incorrectly handles the border polygon of NOAA RNC 5161_1.KAP.
I rebuilt the chart database using a build including commits through last night (Jan. 23). That fixed the border of chart 5161_1.KAP. So, the problem reported above is FIXED.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 24-01-2016, 19:43   #112

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
chuck,

Does the grib have to be so large to cause a crash?
I have this one in the trap. I can reproduce this exception and this is what I can see:

The trouble is in GribRecord.cpp and GribRecord.h and specifically with gribrecord.data which is a double *.

In the test case that fails the array "data" was created with Ni=369 and Nj=213. Then at some point the inline function "isDefined()" calls getValue(336, 213). This is an error because the value 213 is more than the maximum j which can be no larger than Nj-1 which is 212.

The source of the trouble originates in GribRecord::getInterpolatedValues. It is trying to interpolate grid points and gets confused when it gets to the edge of the grid. It tries to interpolate using a point that is one past the edge of the grid.

I don't know exactly what to do as the interpolation code is a bit involved. But that is where the problem is. Look at line #1309 in GribRecord.cpp. It increments both i and j potentially one element past the edge of the grid.

I will keep looking for a solution but maybe this is enough info to get you looking at the right place.
Old 24-01-2016, 19:47   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I have this one in the trap. I can reproduce this exception and this is what I can see:

The trouble is in GribRecord.cpp and GribRecord.h and specifically with gribrecord.data which is a double *.

In the test case that fails the array "data" was created with Ni=369 and Nj=213. Then at some point the inline function "isDefined()" calls getValue(336, 213). This is an error because the value 213 is more than the maximum j which can be no larger than Nj-1 which is 212.

The source of the trouble originates in GribRecord::getInterpolatedValues. It is trying to interpolate grid points and gets confused when it gets to the edge of the grid. It tries to interpolate using a point that is one past the edge of the grid.

I don't know exactly what to do as the interpolation code is a bit involved. But that is where the problem is. Look at line #1309 in GribRecord.cpp. It increments both i and j potentially one element past the edge of the grid.

I will keep looking for a solution but maybe this is enough info to get you looking at the right place.
I just submitted a pull request to fix this.

chuck
Old 24-01-2016, 23:37   #114

Hello Gilletarom,

what kind of reply do you expect?
You write 'I need to know...' does that mean you personally for your personally purposes?

Besides the obvious as well as the previous replies here, probably the discussion about the usability of OpenSeaMap charts and the legal consequences should have an explicitly forum. You may find some of that at OpenSeaMap.org.

In regard to this discussion here, I do have a technical question and would like to get some help.

With kind regards,
Alexej
Old 24-01-2016, 23:54   #115
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexej-osm View Post
In regard to this discussion here, I do have a technical question and would like to get some help.

With kind regards,
Alexej
Alexej...

have you seen Dave's analysis and answer (#83 in this thread)?

Quote:
a). The OSM .KAP files do not contain an entry in the line offset table for line 0. This is not well defined, since there is really no good specification for .KAP file formats. Some older .KAPs also start at line 1. But most modern .KAPs do start at line zero.
And OCPN did crash on this...

--> OpenCPN RC(2) 4.1.1317 Release

So from the side of OCPN this is resolved.

Keep the good things coming...

Hubert
Old 25-01-2016, 00:25   #116

Hello Hubert,

no I did not see it in my threaded view... Sorry.

I will do the correction about line 0, Which btw leads to a question about color 0. Is that used?

From the 'old' descriptions of the kap format I got the impression, that all indices started originally with 1 instead of 0.

Which 'definition' of the kap format do you use? Because our primary goal in providing the kap chart bundles is for them to be used with OpenCPN, I would like to use the same 'definition'.

Thanks for the quick responses,
Alexej
Old 25-01-2016, 02:19   #117

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Alexej-osm,

Quote:
Hello Gilletarom,
what kind of reply do you expect?
You write 'I need to know...' does that mean you personally for your personally purposes?

Besides the obvious as well as the previous replies here, probably the discussion about the usability of OpenSeaMap charts and the legal consequences should have an explicitly forum. You may find some of that at OpenSeaMap.org.

With kind regards,
Alexej
I think I asked a clear question. Your answer avoids the debate.

Too bad, because it is not enough to discuss a technical subject as narrow as the computer format of map files. The debate on the content, ie the quality of the content of the cards is at least as important.
And if you want us to have confidence in your product, even if it's free, we need to get from you a clear answer.

Please do not stay locked in your "ivory tower". Tell us what it is. And if you are able to ensure the quality, then it is very likely that those who run the tutorials related to OpenCPN will in turn be good supporters of your products.

And conversely, if you can not make, here, clear answers, so we must be dubiously and to be cautious before promoting your product.

Best regards. Gilletarom
Old 25-01-2016, 02:49   #118

Hi Dave,

it very much looks like a naming 'problem'. In our chart bundles we use 'currently' bundle unique names, but the same names in each bundle again.

I will change the naming scheme to produce worldwide unique names, so that this is solved for the OpenSeaMap KAP chart bundles. This will probably take a day or two for the program and then some time until all bundles are reproduced.

Still I suggest, that same names in different folders should not interfere.

ALexej
Old 25-01-2016, 03:36   #119

Hello Gilletarorm,

I do not want to avoid the debate, but I think it does not fit into OpenCPN RC(2) 4.1.1317 Release.

At least only very few people would look there for it.

So let this debate take place at OpenSeaMap where it is much more easily found.

Alexej
Old 25-01-2016, 05:53   #120

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Still I suggest, that same names in different folders should not interfere.

ALexej
Same file names in the same folder tree is to be avoided. It would take a lot of work within OpenCPN to allow duplicate file names with different chart content. You can always put a request into the flyspray bug tracker.

You should also look into how, for example, NOAA publishes chart files and chart catalogs. Their system allows OpenCPN users to automatically update charts via the chart downloader plugin (now standard with this new release). It makes it much easier for users to keep their chart files up to date. Users no longer have to manually download, uncompress and update the chart database. But the chart provider needs to provide a chart catalog XML file on the web as well as the compressed chart files. Unfortunately 7zip is not a compression format that is universal so the downloader works best with regular .zip compression which is supported on (nearly) all OpenCPN platforms.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: