Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 13:36   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
OpenCPN Rasberry Pi Display

In thinking of installing OpenCPN on Rasberry Pi aboard. Most standard displays for RPi seem to max out at about 10". Anyone running a larger display that supports touch screen?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 14:29   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: OpenCPN Rasberry Pi Display

Do you want to use a touch screen? This limits choices somewhat, but if you use the HDMI connection, you can use any size display you want. I was using a 12" security style monitor that runs of 12 VDC originally but am in the process of swapping it out for a 13" 2k hdpi monitor that runs off of 5 VDC USB power and draws much less power.

Having said that, the PI's on my boat don't connect directly to a monitor in normal use as I use VPN or SSH to connect to them. The monitor above connects to the onboard PC and uses VPN to control the Pi at full screen, or I use a combination of 10" tablets and the occasional phone. This can be a bit tricky with the Pi because it needs tweaking to set the default resolution when it boots up without a monitor attached.

Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:51   #3

Yes, I was thinking larger touch screen at the nav station.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:53   #4

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

https://www.faytech.com/catalogue/ca...ouch-monitors/
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:58   #5
Moo

Quote:
What sort of sailing do you do? Touch screens can be a PITA at sea. I much prefer a trackball and keyboard. Even in the cockpit under the dodger.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:41   #6

Mostly seasonal cruising in the W Carib.

The touch screen Im thinking of just for below decks at the Nav station.

My touch sceen tablet, used mostly below decks or protected from weather has behaved fine for a number of years. Are the monitors somehow different?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:03   #7
Moo

Quote:
Mostly seasonal cruising in the W Carib.

The touch screen Im thinking of just for below decks at the Nav station.

My touch sceen tablet, used mostly below decks or protected from weather has behaved fine for a number of years. Are the monitors somehow different?

If conditions are brisk touch screens are difficult to use I find just because of trying to hit the right button when you are getting thrown around. If you have wet mushy fingers they get pretty unpredictable too.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 17:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
If conditions are brisk touch screens are difficult to use I find just because of trying to hit the right button when you are getting thrown around. If you have wet mushy fingers they get pretty unpredictable too.
Yes, I see how those factors could be an issue, but for the immediate future I will still have my conventional instruments in the cockpit (Old Raymarine, big buttons, have successfully operated them in up to Category I conditions).

A trackball and keyboard would not be a bad addition anyway below decks.
Old 11-03-2019, 17:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Nice looking monitors. I see they have a Linux driver, but have you driven one off a RPi?
Old 11-03-2019, 17:52   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I have to say I see little use of a touch screen on a large display. We have had a pc with a 24" touch screen for years and only used the touch part for novelty value. And guessing by the way Windows 8 tanked, we weren't the only ones to share the opinion. There's a massive amount of arm movement, usually required at a reach and over the top of desk full of stuff in order to operate a touch screen. Much better with an integrated keyboard and pointing device. I use a logitech wireless media centre keyboard which is amazingly abuse tolerant when it comes to getting thrown around and general crud, but the touchpad is useless if it gets even small amounts of moisture on it. I can't see a capacitive touch screen being a great deal better so my suggestion, if proceeding in this direction, would be a resistive touch screen in a not too large a screen display size.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:12   #11

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Quote:
Nice looking monitors. I see they have a Linux driver, but have you driven one off a RPi?
I have one of their 10" touch monitors and have it working with a RPi (including touch). I haven't used it on the boat yet, but bought it to replace a smaller 7" screen which had sunlight reflection issues and was too small. From the limited testing it looks great so far.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 20:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
I have one of their 10" touch monitors and have it working with a RPi (including touch). I haven't used it on the boat yet, but bought it to replace a smaller 7" screen which had sunlight reflection issues and was too small. From the limited testing it looks great so far.
Yes, 10" would be adequate I think, I was just hoping for a bit more real estate to have multiple windows etc going. Thats the same size as my tablet, and I dont get the "too much screen real estate" issue mentioned above using touch gestures.

I wasnt thinking huge, just maybe 12-15".
Old 14-03-2019, 09:43   #13

Boat: Vega 499

Quote:
Yes, 10" would be adequate I think, I was just hoping for a bit more real estate to have multiple windows etc going. Thats the same size as my tablet, and I dont get the "too much screen real estate" issue mentioned above using touch gestures.

I wasnt thinking huge, just maybe 12-15".
Hello, everybody,
I have the 15" resestive touch ( https://www.conrad.de/de/faytech-ft1...t-1503413.html ).
The monitor does what it should. The touch also works under RPI.
Unfortunately the right click does not work.
The suport couldn't help me yet.
Greetings Jürgen
Luckbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 12:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Do you want to use a touch screen? This limits choices somewhat, but if you use the HDMI connection, you can use any size display you want. I was using a 12" security style monitor that runs of 12 VDC originally but am in the process of swapping it out for a 13" 2k hdpi monitor that runs off of 5 VDC USB power and draws much less power.

Having said that, the PI's on my boat don't connect directly to a monitor in normal use as I use VPN or SSH to connect to them. The monitor above connects to the onboard PC and uses VPN to control the Pi at full screen, or I use a combination of 10" tablets and the occasional phone. This can be a bit tricky with the Pi because it needs tweaking to set the default resolution when it boots up without a monitor attached.
How reliable to you find headless operation to be? Any common problems?

I like the idea of at least one hard wired display just in case and other, like my tablet wireless.
Old 14-03-2019, 12:24   #15

Boat: Valiant 42

VNC and SSH are as reliable as a directly connected screen. Once you get the RPi configured you don’t need any directly connected display. If you need a display any handy HDMI monitor will work. Wireless keyboard with touchpad or trackball is an ok idea too. Plug in the USB dongle and you have regular keyboard and mouse.

But really you can just use VNC and run it from an iPad in full screen mode.

transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn