While on my annual Bahamas cruise
, I had access to a Garmin
on a buddy's boat.
I have managed to prototype an OpenCPN
PlugIn which will allow radar
This is a traditional reverse engineering effort, with no support provided, expected, nor required from Garmin
- Its a PlugIn
- Requires OpenGL
- Works with modern Garmin (Ethernet capable) radar
scanners only, so far.
- Requires some small "adjustments" to external radar/chartplotter ethernet cabling.
- Optionally requires some source of ownship heading information. Could use NMEA
COG, with understanding that this will not work for stationary ownship, nor account for leeway.
Basic functionality confirmed.
Range and gain adjustments understood and implemented.
chart overlay architecture confirmed OK.
Looks pretty cool...
I have suspended development, as I do not presently have access to a Garmin radar system.
My ownship "Dyad" has old faithful Furuno
So, my questions:
1. Is this PlugIn of interest to a reasonable population of OCPN users?
2. Does anyone know of a low cost (i.e. donatable) Garmin GMR 18 (HD) radar scanner that might be used to finish and publish this PlugIn?
3. Would a group of potential users be willing to make a donation in order to buy a radar scanner for same?
4. I see no obvious reason that the same approach could be taken with Furuno
ethernet radar scanners. Any interest there?
Excited, but with cap in hand....