Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 23-05-2019, 09:59   #811

Boat: na
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Hello guys, please can you helpme with this 2 aplication gradar_pi and gxradar_pi, this two come with a perimetre security área and working perfect, if something cross the Line the alarme displayet on screem. can you said me if is posible can send email too? and how can do that?

many thanks for any help...
ranser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:57   #812

Boat: Najad 34

Ranser..
No, a function to send a mail while the alert is active is not implemented in radar_pi.
The watchdog plugin may be possible to use. But then you've to make an own script for the mail function and start it from Watchdog. Not straight forward but maybe possible.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 13:40   #813

Boat: na

Thanks Håkan for your answer,

you're right, I used a program called senditquiet, this little program sends emails

When you create a wachdog, you can program an alarm action as a sound, Command ... inside this Command You can put the senditquiet address with the parameters of the email and the user and this program do the Job.

but in my understanding, the watchdog only sends an alert if you leave the area that you create, but if the radar detects an echo that comes within the area, does nothing.

so if you create a security area with the radar, the detector's alarm will work fine, but the watchdog will not detect anything
I provide all the actions of the watchdog has, but nothing seems to work. just work if my boat go out of area I did.

so I need a little help, maybe just I need comunicate the security area of radar with watchdog but how? or watchdog need detect echo radar how?.-
ranser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 14:52   #814

Hi all,

I just put this message on another (similar) thread:

does the plugin work for a mac?

I apologize if this has been discussed somewhere in the last 55 pages.
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 14:57   #815

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

https://www.google.com/search?q=open...obile&ie=UTF-8
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 15:34   #816

thanks -- I tried that, but I do not think it works with Raymarine radar units.
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:41   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
thanks -- I tried that, but I do not think it works with Raymarine radar units.
As you've seen on the other thread no support for Raymarine scanners. It need some work from someone having such a scanner and a MFD.

radar_pi works fine on Mac using any of these radar scanner types:
Garmin HD and xHD.
Navico BR24, 3G, 4G and Halo
Old 04-06-2019, 05:43   #818

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranser View Post
Thanks Håkan for your answer,

you're right, I used a program called senditquiet, this little program sends emails

When you create a wachdog, you can program an alarm action as a sound, Command ... inside this Command You can put the senditquiet address with the parameters of the email and the user and this program do the Job.

but in my understanding, the watchdog only sends an alert if you leave the area that you create, but if the radar detects an echo that comes within the area, does nothing.

so if you create a security area with the radar, the detector's alarm will work fine, but the watchdog will not detect anything
I provide all the actions of the watchdog has, but nothing seems to work. just work if my boat go out of area I did.

so I need a little help, maybe just I need comunicate the security area of radar with watchdog but how? or watchdog need detect echo radar how?.-
Ranser..
A direct connection between the Watchdog and radar_pi guard zone is not prepared. I was more thinking about a guard zone created by OCPN_draw_pi. There you can create a LZ-Larm zone, see shot, and use it in the watchdog. Create a new guard zone alarm and select the "AIS Guard zone"
Then you make a guard zone in radar_pi for the same area and select ARPA on (And maybe Alarm On). When the ARPA target is created by radar_pi the Watchdog will see this a an AIS target and alarm.
This is a game with plenty functions involved and not a very serious set up for safety. And your boat must be big to have a mail server and safety persons far from the navigation system? But as a play for fun this exercise would be interesting?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LZ.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	193190  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:56   #819

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hakan, Sometime in the future would it be possible to use ODAPI to enable creation of guard zones recognized by WatchDog and Ocpn_Draw?

It might help newer users with the same terms used "Guard Zone" for both Ocpn_Draw_pi and Radar_pi, since new users will likely assume they are interoperable when they are not.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:02   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Hakan, Sometime in the future would it be possible to use ODAPI to enable creation of guard zones recognized by WatchDog and Ocpn_Draw?

It might help newer users with the same terms used "Guard Zone" for both Ocpn_Draw_pi and Radar_pi, since new users will likely assume they are interoperable when they are not.
The radar_pi guard zone is probably called just that because it's a zone used for both defining an alarm zone and an area where ARPA targets shall be detected and created. When only the latter is used no alarm is created.
If used for to trig an alarm both a screen pop up and a sound is played by radar_pi. That would be enough at least for me. To silent the alarm on two places, radar_pi and dashboard, would be irritating and disturbing when the main goal of an alarm is to look out and react if needed. Not to be glued to the screen.
Old 04-06-2019, 14:09   #821

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
The radar_pi guard zone is probably called just that because it's a zone used for both defining an alarm zone and an area where ARPA targets shall be detected and created. When only the latter is used no alarm is created.
If used for to trig an alarm both a screen pop up and a sound is played by radar_pi. That would be enough at least for me. To silent the alarm on two places, radar_pi and dashboard, would be irritating and disturbing when the main goal of an alarm is to look out and react if needed. Not to be glued to the screen.

Yes, I agree, the idea of using ocpn_draw and watchdog is overly complex, better and simpler to have an alarm built in.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 22:55   #822

Hi, do you still have the Lowrance 3g radar installed? Have you done some tests with OpenBR24 project?

Cheers
Prof.Sarafis
isarafis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 22:56   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
ok, just for those who are interested. I have just bought and installed a Lowrance 3g radar. Install is simple - no MFD - direct to the PC from the radar. I did make a crossover cable connection because I'm not using a hub. There are (other than the data cables) 4 additional wires. Red is +, thicker black is -. Apply power to yellow to turn on. The Thin black is a shield - connect to -.

Switch it on it will go. You need to set a scale in the .ini file, under BR24RadarRangeCalibration=0.35 (its 1 as a default, mine needed 0.35 to scale correclty).

That will give you a working, low cost digital radar

I have access to the boat every day - can record any data anyone needs for anything....
Hi, do you still have the Lowrance 3g radar installed? Have you done some tests with OpenBR24 project?

Cheers
Prof.Sarafis
isarafis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 12:55   #824

Does anyone have a pic of soldering the switch connection using amphenol connector, needed for Garmin xHD radar power control? Not sure how the connection should be made.
Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rj45_pin5_coupler.png
Views:	55
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	238340  
jmu92grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 13:06   #825