Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 02:39   #751

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

I am back to faultfinding still have not got radar working again. I am using a laptop with windows 10. I set up IPv;4 with 162.16.2.1 I get the following error message when I switch or try to switch to master on garmin control

The radar Overlay plugin is unable to directly control the radar scanner
Scanner is located at ip address 172.16.2.0

Interfaces available on this computer are 127.0.0.1/8

I shorted pin 5 to ground but felt nothing on the radar but I assume it needs a software comand to start
Old 11-07-2016, 03:17   #752

Boat: Spirit 28, Van de Stadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I am back to faultfinding still have not got radar working again. I am using a laptop with windows 10. I set up IPv;4 with 162.16.2.1 I get the following error message when I switch or try to switch to master on garmin control

The radar Overlay plugin is unable to directly control the radar scanner
Scanner is located at ip address 172.16.2.0

Interfaces available on this computer are 127.0.0.1/8

I shorted pin 5 to ground but felt nothing on the radar but I assume it needs a software comand to start

Hi Lanka, If your radar is networked the ip adress range on your laptop is wrong, It has to b on the same subnet as the radar for example if the radar ip os 172.16.2.1 your laptop must also have an address on the 172.16.2.* range
sneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:03   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneider View Post
Hi Lanka, If your radar is networked the ip adress range on your laptop is wrong, It has to b on the same subnet as the radar for example if the radar ip os 172.16.2.1 your laptop must also have an address on the 172.16.2.* range
My problem is the address shown on the error message is not the one I set in control panel so I dont know where it comes from. I checked control panel after the error message and rebooted. Same scenario
Old 24-07-2016, 10:54   #754

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

Is it possible to change the sentry control alarm sound? Windows 10 with OpenCPN 4.4 and Gradar Plugin
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:01   #755

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
My problem is the address shown on the error message is not the one I set in control panel so I dont know where it comes from. I checked control panel after the error message and rebooted. Same scenario
In the TCP/IPv4 property box set the IP address as 172.16.1.1, the Subnet Mask at 255.255.240.0 and the default gateway as 172.16.1.100
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 11:34   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
In the TCP/IPv4 property box set the IP address as 172.16.1.1, the Subnet Mask at 255.255.240.0 and the default gateway as 172.16.1.100
This is what I did but the wrong address keeps coming up, when I check the properties it is as you said. I am away from the boat now and cannot do more trouble shooting
Old 13-10-2016, 16:36   #757

I'm looking for some help with getting the garmin plugin set up. I am using OpenCPN in master mode with no chartplotter. I have two main questions:

When my garmin 2526 xHD2 is plugged into my computer running windows 7 and plugged into 30 VDC, my computer doesn't recognize anything is plugged in to the port. I've tried setting my IP address to 172.16.2.1 as well as 172.16.1.1 with netmask 255.255.240.0 and still the LAN acts as if nothing is plugged in. Firewalls aren't being used on the LAN. I've connected pin 5 to ground before and after opening OpenCPN to no avail.

I'll be using a GPS antenna mounted above the radar instead of a tablet or other GPS-enabled device. Does anyone know the process of getting the GPS data from the antenna to OpenCPN?

I can clarify and give more detail as needed. Any help is appreciated!
sailor121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:41   #758

I don't know if you have this running yet, but a couple of things.

One you have to set the gateway. gateway 172.16.1.100
Two I find it seems to work best if you switch the dome on after you start opencpn (The pin 5 sort to ground turns on the radar)
Also make sure that you are using the gxradar plugin, and not the gradar plugin. Your radar is the X version not the older non x version.

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:00   #759

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
Also make sure that you are using the gxradar plugin, and not the gradar plugin. Your radar is the X version not the older non x version.
Yes, you should use the gxradar plugin. But, regardless whether you use the older gradar or the newer gxradar you should get the first package notification in the log window if you have it enabled.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 09:39   #760
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 43

apologies if this is not the right thread for this question. I can't get gradar_pi to orient itself correctly based on magnetic heading, as I believe it should. It looks like the Raymarine MFD I have on the boat does not relay the NMEA HDM or HDT messages it gets from the autopilot's compass. It does, however, send a VHW message which appears to have magnetic and true compass heading info in it (at least my onboard Signalk server interprets that as compass info).

I looked at the gradar_pi code and it seems it does not even consider VHW messages. Is this a deliberate omission from the code? Are there reasons for not using VHW? I volunteer to do a pull request for that, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing first.
Thanks!
coupdemistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:03   #761

Boat: Privilege 37

I don't have a Raymarine MFD, but my Garmin has several settings that let you configure the NMEA sentences sent to Open CPN. I would think there is a way to configure your MFD to send NMEA heading references. In the tools/connections (wrench icon) I have limited the inputs from autopilot to HDM,HDG and HDT, but all you really need is HDM. You are correct that you need a compass input to get accurate bearings on your radar targets. Don't forget to check "output on this port" box when you add connection for autopilot. This will allow the autopilot to steer towards a waypoint or route you build on OCPN. Good Luck.
Old 21-11-2016, 11:03   #762
Marine Service Provider

thanks @svcattales. My OpenCPN gets all it's NMEA stuff from the NMEA port on the RayMarine MFD, which in turn interfaces via SeaTalk with all the onboard instruments (including the autopilot). I don't have a direct connection from OpenCPN to the autopilot, so I can't automatically steer by waypoints, as you suggest (and I am too cheap to buy a SeaTalk to NMEA converter). Maybe some day. Right now I am just trying to get gradar_pi to correctly overlay with the charts.

Unfortunately the Raymarine MFD decides what sentences it relays to the NMEA output, and HD* sentences are not part of it (one reason I am not wild about these proprietary systems, but it came with the boat). There is a setting on the MFD to echo heading sentences to the NMEA port, but that doesn't seem to forward any HD* sentences, just this VHW thing.
Old 21-11-2016, 11:37   #763

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdemistral View Post
thanks @svcattales. My OpenCPN gets all it's NMEA stuff from the NMEA port on the RayMarine MFD, which in turn interfaces via SeaTalk with all the onboard instruments (including the autopilot). I don't have a direct connection from OpenCPN to the autopilot, so I can't automatically steer by waypoints, as you suggest (and I am too cheap to buy a SeaTalk to NMEA converter). Maybe some day. Right now I am just trying to get gradar_pi to correctly overlay with the charts.

Unfortunately the Raymarine MFD decides what sentences it relays to the NMEA output, and HD* sentences are not part of it (one reason I am not wild about these proprietary systems, but it came with the boat). There is a setting on the MFD to echo heading sentences to the NMEA port, but that doesn't seem to forward any HD* sentences, just this VHW thing.
Coupdemistral, I had similar problem trying to get data from my Simrad autopilot. After looking at all the proprietary complexity, I eventually ran a small signal wire from autopilot computer NMEA-0183 output/input directly to computer/OCPN via serial converter (It has its own com port). It worked well and was inexpensive. The hard part was fishing the wire from one hull to the other.
Old 21-11-2016, 12:37   #764
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcattales View Post
The hard part was fishing the wire from one hull to the other.
I hear you: I dread that kind of chore like the plague...that's why I am trying to stick to the NMEA output from the Raymarine, since it's already wired to the navstation down below to to provide the GPS input to the VHF Radio.

I suspect the best solution would be to add VHW to the NMEA messages that are parsed by the gradar_pi plugin. Right now that is not the case and I want to make sure that it is the right approach.
Old 21-11-2016, 14:04   #765

Boat: Najad 34

The VHW sentence is mostly used for speed trough water at a certain heading if available for the speed instrument. Normally not used for compass heading thus not used by a normal radar.

NMEA v2.8, Feb 2011
=== VHW - Water speed and heading ===
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
| | | | | | | | |
$--VHW,x.x,T,x.x,M,x.x,N,x.x,K*hh<CR><LF>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Field Number:
1. Degress True
2. T = True
3. Degrees Magnetic
4. M = Magnetic
5. Knots (speed of vessel relative to the water)
6. N = Knots
7. Kilometers (speed of vessel relative to the water)
8. K = Kilometers
9. Checksum
[GLOBALSAT] describes a different format in which the first three
fields are water-temperature measurements. It's not clear which
is correct.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar