Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 12:42   #631

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Here is a link that explains it.

How to change the network connection priority in Windows 7
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:56   #632

Boat: Allegro 33

Chuck

Thanks for your support.

Ok, so the Local Area Connection is on top.
Sorry, but there is no change in behaviour.

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 16:43   #633

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

As ChuckSK suggested:
Can you determine the software version of your radar? Does it show when you turn it on?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 21:34   #634

rgleason

Hmmm. Well, I don't have any Garmin chart plotter so if it does not show up in the traffic and can be fetched with WireShark when the scanner is turned on, I don't know how to get that information. Of course, you would have to know what package to look for and how to interpret it.

Is there anyone out there that has got an xHD scanner working with OpenCPN ?

If not, is there a chance that OpenCPN in a near feature will be compatible with xHD ? Of course I will record and send any required data to the team. I might also purchase a Garmin chart plotter if that would help to understand the data traffic.

/Hans
Old 03-11-2014, 02:18   #635

Hans, those were just ideas ChuckSK mentioned (software in the hardware). Haven't read this thread completely but have seen your first very complete post. about Garmin 18xHD radar under Win7 Opencpn 3.2.2 I'm don't have Gradar connected to aradar, because my radar is outdated & raymarine (23 yrs). Just lurking.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1668450
Old 03-11-2014, 22:13   #636

Dave and/or Chuck or anyone that's got experience in debugging the gradar plugin!

I am considering setting up an environment so that I can debug the gradar plugin. I have successfully compiled the source code of OpenCPN which as I understand it is necessary to be able to debug the plugin.
I will without doubt need some guidance from one or two of you or anybody else that has been through the process.
Also, this thread might mot be the appropriate place for these discussions.
I have been looking around but can not find one where the ins and outs of compiling and debugging the source code for OpenCPN and the plugins. Can someone point to the right one? Maybe I should start a new one ?
/Hans
Old 04-11-2014, 01:48   #637

Boat: Najad 34

Hej Hasse...
There are for the time being two plugins for two different radar scanners, the Garmin and the Navico(Lowrance, Simrad etc). Garmin is based on reverse engineering basically made by Dave, bdbcat, see the beginning of this tread. The Navico plugin, BR24radar_pi, is based on the Garmin plugin and reverse engineering from the paper mentioned in links here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post915730. Both plugins are later further developed. You know about the Gradar source and the BR24radar_pi source, now developed by Kees, is here: https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi.
You seem to have a third scanner type and you may have to do the reverse engineering for that.
There's a tread for the Navico/Lowrance type, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-123167.html, so why not start a new one for your project and thereby check for interest from others?
How to build OCPN from source is well described in the wiki Developer Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage and there are a number of posts here how to compile and debug a plugin against OCPN source.
I have a Navico BR24 radar scanner and are trying to help Kees and others as much as possible to test and discuss that plugin.
Good luck /Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23   #638

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Dave and/or Chuck or anyone that's got experience in debugging the gradar plugin!

I am considering setting up an environment so that I can debug the gradar plugin. I have successfully compiled the source code of OpenCPN which as I understand it is necessary to be able to debug the plugin.
I will without doubt need some guidance from one or two of you or anybody else that has been through the process.
I have been looking around but can not find one where the ins and outs of compiling and debugging the source code for OpenCPN and the plugins. Can someone point to the right one? Maybe I should start a new one ?
/Hans
I hope I have not sidetracked your investigation; I have not heard of anyone with a working XHD scanner, but that may not be the problem here.

I haven't programmed in a while and I don't know how to setup a debug environment, but looking through the code (https://github.com/bdbcat/gradar_pi/.../gradar_pi.cpp line::2678)I think that you should be seeing "gradar_pi: First Packet Rx" in the log, if you are receiving anything. The packet might subsequently be discarded without a warning if it is not understood, but you need to get to the point of the "First Packet" message.

Given that wireshark is showing packets that look correctly addressed, perhaps you have a network problem.

I am trying to decide which scanner to purchase, so am very interested in your success.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26   #639
Marine Service Provider

hasse_A....

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see attached an actual wireshark capture file. If we can get a capture from startup of OCPN, with screenshots of O at the same time, we can see what's what.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33   #640
Marine Service Provider

hasse_A...

Can you compile and debug OCPN in the VS2010 IDE? Step thru code, etc?

In shorthand....

The all you need to do for PlugIns in to build the PlugIn in debug mode, using similar methods. Put the built debug PlugIn in the correct directory. Figure this out from the logfile.

Start O in the debugger. In pluginmanager.cpp, you may find the place where the plugin gets initialized.

Code:
 pic->m_cap_flag = pic->m_pplugin->Init();
Put a breakpoint there. Step into the Plugin, and you will then have access to the plugin source, and can add breakpoints, steps, etc.

Good luck
Dave
Old 04-11-2014, 07:38   #641

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
hasse_A....

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see attached an actual wireshark capture file. If we can get a capture from startup of OCPN, with screenshots of O at the same time, we can see what's what.

Dave
There was no capture file, but, you can see the wireshark window in the screenshot he posted:

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56   #642
Marine Service Provider

NahanniV...

I need the pcap file, so I can see the actual packet data stream.

Dave
Old 04-11-2014, 08:46   #643

Hans wrote
Quote:
/Hans
You can set up your own thread appropriately labeled and interleave the process with posted "Summaries" which will help others. Here are several threads I and others created/used they might be helpful or not in setting up a development environment. Of course the opencpn.org website has an entire Development Manual that should be updated regularly as collective experience is gained.

Mostly for Windows http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-87680.html

Here is a post that is more specific
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1100732

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-43472.html

I've also been looking for a thread on Sean's Standalone Plugin System
which allows stand alone compiling and is how a number of the plugins are set up, but I can't find it right now. This was an idea started and initally implimented by someone, then Hakan revived it with bat files, and Sean then took it all the way with his plugins. It works great once most of the bugs are out because you just compile, get the bug results and shoot them back to the developer. If you want to run a debug plugin for testing you copy the debug files into the environment used for MSVC++ (windows). When I find that I will post. It is an very viable alternative compiling arrangement for plugins (very efficient setup).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-134793.html
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38   #644

Hi all!

pcap file attached.
The scanner seems to advertise itself as a GMR18/24XHD in packet nr 4.

Will be back later.

/Hans
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Garmin_xHD_start_with_button.pcap.pdf (8.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:05   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
hasse_A...
Can you compile and debug OCPN in the VS2010 IDE? Step thru code, etc?
Dave
I have not yet gotten that far. Yesterday I managed to set up VS2010 IDE and compile OpenCPN without errors. I have not yet been able to run the .exe. Some files need to be copied according to the instructions.

/Hans

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar