Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 18-12-2013, 16:18   #391

Boat: Moody 425 sloop
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Can you do Voice over IP?
Helmsmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 16:21   #392
Marine Service Provider

c.

TV crashed. Trying again. Chat is good

d
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 17:30   #393

Dave,
We have another XP machine that I don't think can run OpenGL. I fired up the machine, turned on OpenGL and the charts went away.
if you can hack a version of gradar that we can run without GL, we are ready to load it up and try.
Matt
Old 18-12-2013, 18:11   #394

Dave,
Could it be that we need to add a connection in OpenCPN to the Ethernet port?
Right now we only have serial connections (AIS, NMEA, GPS). See screen shot of current connections. If we do need to add a network connection what address and port do we use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connections.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	72370  
Old 18-12-2013, 18:24   #395
Marine Service Provider

Matt...

gradar will run without any gps, so no connections needed at all.

Also, I looked at the code again. The gradar log window will work fine without OpenGL. We should be able to see the multicast traffic happeniong. But you will not see any radar scans on the screen.

So, try it with gradar 1.3, please.

Dave
Old 18-12-2013, 19:43   #396

Eureka!
I pulled an old 'get home' XP PC out of my oven. I keep it there for lightning protection. OpenGL worked!
Loaded OCPn, & the radar plugin. Fired right up.
Name:   eureka radar.bmp
Views: 656
Size:  134.6 KB
The problem we have is to get Cindy's PC to see it.
I have to get away from the dock. I see no correlation yet between the radar splash and the chart.......Landlocked......
At least we are sure the scanner works!
Happy Matt
Old 18-12-2013, 19:55   #397
Marine Service Provider

Matt...

Wow. Like, WOW...

Congratulations, sort of...

So WTF is going on with c's machine? I'm starting to think that the network adapter is unable to handle multicast unless in promiscuous mode, as Wireshark does it. Seems highly unlikely, but following the Sherlock Holmes maxim...

We need to find some other multicast application, or test suite, to confirm that m/c works on the Win7 box.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave
Old 18-12-2013, 20:16   #398

Hmmm,
I'm not a rocket scientist, hey wait, I am a rocket scientist......but anyways, isn't wireshark only reading what's going across the network adapter?
Also, I was connected to the internet at the same time gradar was running.
I was not connected to my AIS, which is through a USB port, via a serial to USB converter.
I'm stumped. Happy, but stumped.
Oh, the only other thing I did was to manually install the 172.16.1.1 address and 255.255.240.0 subnet mask.
Thanks so much for all the personalized help. You guys rock, Dave, and I have to also thank Chuck and Pavel, and the other concerned guys.
Still need to snoop out a solution for Cindy's PC. She doesn't want her PC to lose the "honored" spot as master of the Nav Station......
Matt
Old 20-12-2013, 09:19   #399

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I'm shopping for a radar for my boat. I've not considered a Garmin, but if it can be interfaced with my PC and OpenCPN it might be worth looking into. I've not been keeping up with this thread (27 pages, wow!) so have a question: How stable is this plugin? Is anyone using this -full time-? What sort(s) of computers / operating systems does it work best with?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 12:42   #400

Ive had Gradar for about 2 Months now, but have not been out much because of the Weather this time of year. The few times i have been out it worked just fine, I have a Dedicated Desktop for navigation, I use Windows XP Pro. The computer is Old and Very Basic but has worked fine over the years, with Open CPN . So far i am really impressed with the Gradar. I use a Garmin Scanner, i purchased from West Marine, about 1200.00, From Reading other posts, Lowrance, Simrad, Nacico can also be used, though they are a bit more expensive. But i am happy so far, with Garmin. I also have a standalone Fruno. The Guys that developed the Programs are very helpful on here, I am not a computer wiz, but managed to fumble through, also following the previous Threads and Directions for installing the Gradar helped out a lot, and i am very happy with mine.

Good luck

Jim
rontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 13:21   #401

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I'm looking at the lowest end Garmin GMR18 radar. Cost for the radome is around $1K. I've got an i5 laptop and GlobalSat BU-353 gps which I can dedicate to the project. I've played with OpenCPN but never really used it in earnest (I'm usually working on ships with dedicated charting systems on board). If it works, it could be the least expensive yet most flexible system out there. Any other hardware I need to look at getting? My boat has a (relatively dated) instrument package with NMEA 0183 comms, so I might be able to use that for wind, depth, and heading info also.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 14:04   #402

My Garmin is a HD 18 Scanner, i dont know what the difference is, but i suppose it will work, you will also need a Amphenol Connecter (about $15.00), in line from the Dome to your computer, with a on off switch, If you look at the plugin page on The opencpn page, underneath the windows download button you will see directions on the Hookup procedure for the Amphenol switch, and the Garmin Gradar, also a lot of prevous posts have info, you can do a search also. Also there is directions on how to change the IP adress in your computer so that the scanner can communicate with your computer.
If you follow the Directions and research previous posts you should have no problem.
rontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 07:41   #403

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontom View Post
. I use a Garmin Scanner, i purchased from West Marine, about 1200.00, From reading other posts, Lowrance, Simrad, Navico can also be used, though they are a bit more expensive.

Good luck

Jim
Are there users who have successfully gotten the Navico broadband radars (Simrad, Lowrance, and SiTex brands) to work with the GRadar plugin? Using either the BR24 (original), the 3G or the 4G models? Since these are much lower power consumption and more detailed at short range you (prof_mariner) might want to check those out as well. The 3G models i looked at were equal or lower in price than the Garmin24. about $1100.

there's also a br24radar_pi plugin that's said to work with the broadband scanners. again, are there any users here with proven installations?
i'd really like to get the broadband radar, and would appreciate any input saying it does or doesn't work and with which plugin.

thanks!
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 09:56   #404

Since you have a sailboat, power draw is probably a factor. And the radar's ability to see in close might be more valuable than farthest distance. You might also want a product that emits less harmfull radiation.

I've chosen the (Navico,Simrad,B&G) Lowrance 3G though they also have a 4G for the above reasons.

While the Garmin plugin only works for Garmin, there is also a Navico plug in that works with OpenCPN, though I'm still installing the radar and have not personally tried it. Though I can confirm that the 3G and the Navico family Plotters can communicate on a regular old router/switch with standard RJ45 connectors spliced onto the Navico cables.

Good luck
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:47   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegillBoy View Post
Are there users who have successfully gotten the Navico broadband radars (Simrad, Lowrance, and SiTex brands) to work with the GRadar plugin? Using either the BR24 (original), the 3G or the 4G models?

thanks!
I haven't tried it yet, but I've just installed 3G on the boat with a plotter, and the radar and plotter work fine through a standard RJ45 switch - once you've crimped the cables.

The installation took me a long time with the mast attachment, routing wires, etc. I can't wait to try out OpenCPN with the radar, but I don't have much time these days. One factor is that the boat is Linux, and it looks like I'd have to compile the BR24 pluggin source code. That would take me a lot of time.

Anyway, I'm sure I've read that people have gotten the BR24 code to work with 3G and 4G, in fact I think the source code mentions it. I would not have purchased the 3G if I didn't read that, I would have gotten the Garmin.

I post here when I eventually get it working.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar