Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 07:04   #1

Boat: Ohlson 29
OpenCPN problem on RPi with Raspbian 9.1

Hi

I downloaded source code for OpenCPN and s63_pi plugin and successfully built and installed them on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian 9.1 OS.

However when trying to make a new signature file using the s63_plugin, it fails. It turns out that the problem is related to a pre-built ARM CPU binary called OCPNsenc which fails with the following runtime-error when run standalone:

OCPNsenc
OCPNsenc: Symbol _ZN12wxTextBuffer6ms_eofE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking 15:22:32: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected. The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,wx containers,compatible with 2.8), and your program used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.8). 15:22:32: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected. The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1010,wx containers,compatible with 2.8), and program used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.8). *** Error inOCPNsenc': corrupted size vs. prev_size: 0x00826d90 ***
Aborted.

I posted the probem on github where the source code is maintained. Look at the following link for more details.

https://github.com/bdbcat/s63_pi/issues/17

I think the problem can only be solved by building the binary OCPNsenc using a more recent compiler, but maybe there is someone whe knows a workaround.

Jan
janth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:00   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: OpenCPN problem on RPi with Raspbian 9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by janth View Post
, but maybe there is someone whe knows a workaround.

Jan
This image has everything Opencpn on it already (and MUCH more) and works..

Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.10.0 NOOBS | Sailoog

Or did a few weeks ago anyway, should still be fine.

Edit - Just tried the S63 on openplotter & it seems to work fine. Latest opencpn is 4.8, openplotter 0.15.1. Raspbian Jessie (still some issues with stretch apparently)
cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"

There are menus to automate the updates.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:29   #3

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
This image has everything Opencpn on it already (and MUCH more) and works..

Download OpenPlotter RPI v0.10.0 NOOBS | Sailoog

Or did a few weeks ago anyway, should still be fine.

Edit - Just tried the S63 on openplotter & it seems to work fine. Latest opencpn is 4.8, openplotter 0.15.1. Raspbian Jessie (still some issues with stretch apparently)
cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"

There are menus to automate the updates.
Hi Con,

if you take the latest updates of OpenPlotter and then do the upgrade to Stretch, everything is working.

Update is done like this:

Text:

To upgrade, first modify the files /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list. In both files, change every occurrence of the word ‘jessie’ to ‘stretch’. (Both files will require sudo to edit.)
Then open a terminal window and execute

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade Answer ‘yes’ to any prompts.

There may also be a point at which the install pauses while a page of information is shown on the screen – hold the ‘space’ key to scroll through all of this and then hit ‘q’ to continue.

Finally, if you are not using PulseAudio for anything other than Bluetooth audio, remove it from the image by entering.

sudo apt-get -y purge "pulseaudio*"

End text

And of course sudo apt autoremove after the upgrade.

It is also important to look at the synaptic server settings. Change every entry of Jessie to
Stretch.

The only item that dit not work was the Zygrib program. But making a new install of Zygrib solved
the problem.
OpenPlotter is working on a new version on the basis of Stretch.

Also oeSENC is still working after the upgrade to Stretch.

Bram

verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:14   #4

Thanks for sharing your experiences with openplotter.

But I dont see any coverage regarding the ability to use teh s63_pi plugin to create a system signature file. It could be it works fine on openplotter but does it work on the updated openplotter to raspbian 9.1 ???

If you install the s63_pi pluging and run /usr/bin/OCPNsenc utility it would be interesting to see if it fails with the same runtime error. You only need that plugin if you want to buy envoded s63 maps, and that is what I need.

As I mentioned in my original post OpenCPN is working fine, and I always prefer to compile the code myself since I can then easily update the software when a new build is ready. Also, I prefer to use Raspian official images.

So I still hope someone will find a way to fix my problem on the Raspbian 9.1 OS, or find a workaround.

Jan
Old 15-09-2017, 09:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by janth View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences with openplotter.

But I dont see any coverage regarding the ability to use teh s63_pi plugin to create a system signature file. It could be it works fine on openplotter but does it work on the updated openplotter to raspbian 9.1 ???

If you install the s63_pi pluging and run /usr/bin/OCPNsenc utility it would be interesting to see if it fails with the same runtime error. You only need that plugin if you want to buy envoded s63 maps, and that is what I need.

As I mentioned in my original post OpenCPN is working fine, and I always prefer to compile the code myself since I can then easily update the software when a new build is ready. Also, I prefer to use Raspian official images.

So I still hope someone will find a way to fix my problem on the Raspbian 9.1 OS, or find a workaround.

Jan
If you have it working in the Jessie version you can upgrade to Stretch 9.1. The same problem is with the oeSENC plugin. Trying to make a complete new version with 9.1 failed. Because some of the plugins are not yet upgraded.

At first make a working version with Jessy and then do the upgrade to Stretch.

I think this will solve your problem. It works here anyway very well.

Bram
Old 15-09-2017, 10:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
If you have it working in the Jessie version you can upgrade to Stretch 9.1. The same problem is with the oeSENC plugin. Trying to make a complete new version with 9.1 failed. Because some of the plugins are not yet upgraded.

At first make a working version with Jessy and then do the upgrade to Stretch.

I think this will solve your problem. It works here anyway very well.

Bram
Hi Bram,

I dont see how that solves my problem ?
As I mentioned opencpn works fine on 9.1 after compilation. You confirm that after the lengty procedure of reinstalling jessie and upgrading to stretch then you see the same problem with the S53 plugin as I do. So it does not make sense to me ?

Jan
Old 15-09-2017, 14:09   #7

If I install Stretch and then OpenCPN I cannot longer find the oeSENC plugin. Perhaps it is the same with S-63 plugin.

Working the other way via OpenPlotter Jessie, then it is still working with oeSENC charts and the OS is Stretch.

Bram
Old 15-09-2017, 14:43   #8

Quote:
If I install Stretch and then OpenCPN I cannot longer find the oeSENC plugin. Perhaps it is the same with S-63 plugin.

Working the other way via OpenPlotter Jessie, then it is still working with oeSENC charts and the OS is Stretch.

Bram
I tried to get around the ABI mismatch among the libraries used by OCPNsenc and the program itself. I downloaded the source code of wxWidgets 3.0.3 and compiled it with ABI 1002 as is used by OCPNsenc, and then I recompiled both OpenCPN and s3_pi using that library. I still get an error but it no longer complain about an ABI mismatch so that part was solved, but there is still a mismatch in the size of a shared object when I run OCPNsenc manually :

OCPNsenc
OCPNsenc: Symbol `_ZN12wxTextBuffer6ms_eofE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
*** Error in `OCPNsenc': corrupted size vs. prev_size: 0x01597730 ***
Aborted

Oh well. Just spent the better part of a day not solving it :-) compiling on RPi require a lot of patience.

I wonder if I can re-link it somehow since it is a precompiled binary, and if yes then how should I do it. I think I will rest my case for now.

Jan
Old 16-09-2017, 03:28   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Hi Con,

if you take the latest updates of OpenPlotter and then do the upgrade to Stretch, everything is working.

Update is done like this:
Thanks for that, ran it last night, takes a while doesn't it

Almost worked, screen boots up but with no menu bar which looks like it might be something to do with VNC. Anyway, I'll leave it for now and let sailoog get it stable before upgrading, the Pi is on a cruising boat so needs to be stable which openplotter 15.1/jessie seems to be now

Thanks
Old 16-09-2017, 03:50   #10

Stretch works here very well and stable. No problems with VNC. The only thing I had to reinstall was Zygrub. And the Egalax touchscreen not yet working.
Old 16-09-2017, 03:58   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Stretch works here very well and stable. No problems with VNC. The only thing I had to reinstall was Zygrub. And the Egalax touchscreen not yet working.
Not sure what the problem is this end then, anyway works fine with jessie and the jobs list has many other entries on it, though maybe not as interesting
Old 17-09-2017, 01:29   #12

Quote:
Not sure what the problem is this end then, anyway works fine with jessie and the jobs list has many other entries on it, though maybe not as interesting
For users who like to try Linux Stretch version. Do it in OpenPlotter. Then all the OpenCPN functions and plugins stay working. Also the oesenc plugin and oeSenc charts.

There are two options:

say yes to all questions and you get the same Desktop as before.

say no to these questions and you get the Debian desktop and you can upgrade to the latest kernel (sudo rpi-update) 4.9.50.

Don't forget to switch OpenGL in OpenCPN to off.

It works great with fast screen movements.

But still no working Touchscreen and you have to reinstall the zygrib program.

It take some time to do the upgrade which is quite large.
Old 13-10-2017, 02:19   #13

Quote:
Faytech touchscreen (Egalax) is now working.

Take the latest Egalax driver from the EET website. Install. Then a new file 52-egalax.conf is formed in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

The present touchscreen driver is "black-listed"

If you look in this file, you see drivers "void". Replace "void" with "evdev" and then after a reboot the touchscreen works.

The best way to change to Linux Stretch is working version op OpenPlotter with the latest updates and then change to Linux Stretch.

Works very well, stable and fast.
Old 13-10-2017, 05:11   #14

Quote:
For users who like to try Linux Stretch version. Do it in OpenPlotter. Then all the OpenCPN functions and plugins stay working. Also the oesenc plugin and oeSenc charts.

There are two options:

say yes to all questions and you get the same Desktop as before.

say no to these questions and you get the Debian desktop and you can upgrade to the latest kernel (sudo rpi-update) 4.9.50.

Don't forget to switch OpenGL in OpenCPN to off.

It works great with fast screen movements.

But still no working Touchscreen and you have to reinstall the zygrib program.

It take some time to do the upgrade which is quite large.
Hi, can you try with software OpenGL for opencpn?

Thanks
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 06:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
Hi, can you try with software OpenGL for opencpn?

Thanks
I have tried switching on the OpenGL driver with raspi-config and then OpenCPN with OpenGL to on.

Result: it works much slower as with the latest kernel 4.9.54-v7+ and with the OpenGL in OpenCPN switch to off. And of course first done the latest Linux Stretch updates.

Regards,

Bram

Tags
enc, opencpn