Thank you both for the info.
My cmake cache indeed had vc_lib instead of vc_dll.
I had built with the solution due to an issue with the command line build.
I was missing windows.h, which I've been looking into and seems like I had a corrupt install of VS2013, where the Windows SDKs did not get installed.
I get an error about trusted root certificates.
(This is all done on a computer that CANNOT connect to the internet
, so I usually have to troubleshoot getting things installed correctly...
I did build wx 3.0.2 using my VS2010 install, and it worked fine. The plugins produced were the correct size, and the cmake cache pointed to the correct folder.
As you have suggested, I believe once I can get the command line build of wx to work, I'll be fine.
Thanks again !