Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45   #16

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Psyches, would you perhaps mark the feature requests that are already resolved as "closed" (tracking, zoom at pointer, distance/bearing) as well as the duplicate (garmin bluecharts)?

Thanks!
idpnd - consider it done.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58   #17

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
also closed the grib feature request. Folks, if you're aware of other bugs/features that need me, let me know.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 08:30   #18

opencpn email

Just a note for creating an account on opencpn.org:

The website will send you an email to check validity when you create an account. However, since opencpn.org is on a shared hosting plan (on the same IP as other websites) RDNS will not resolve opencpn.org. So, email tends to end up in a spam folder or in rare cases gets dropped all together (speakeasy does this). So, if you have trouble, send an email off to webmaster@opencpn.org to have your account set up.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:54   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Hi everybody!

@manimaul:
I sent you a PN

@all:
I know a lot of skippers for whom OpenCPN would be an attractive alternative to the navigational software they now use. But none of them is either very familiar with PC hard- and software, nor do they use the Internet quite excessively.

Another problem may be the fact that the hole thing here is in English (which is undoubtedly the best choice). But many of the potential users aren't familiar with the language and therefore won't participate in feedback, bug reports, feature requests and other things.

So I made the proposal to set up a copy of the OpenCPN Wiki in German (my native language) and keep the versions synchronized.

Maybe some participants here are willing to do the same thing for other languages?

If manimaul can arrange it to install these versions under a subdomain of opencpn.org (like http://de.opencpn.org/) that would be the best alternative (or at least configure a redirect).
Optionally I have my own webspace which I could use for a copy of the wiki.

Any comments/ ideas?
Please let me know - thanks!

Greetings
Gunther
Netsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 17:32   #20

multi-language

Netsurfer,

You got it, opencpn.org now supports multi-language. There is a translate tab at the top of every wiki page after you log in. For now, deutsch is the only language available for translation. Other languages will be added if you would like to work on translating them. Just contact me if your interested. I can make the static pages translatable also if you are interested for your account.

Keep in mind, there is still a lot of work on the english wiki to give it a greater sense of assemblance and completeness.

Will
Old 03-02-2010, 17:39   #21

Hi Will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
You got it, opencpn.org now supports multi-language. There is a translate tab at the top of every wiki page after you log in. For now, deutsch is the only language available for translation.
Just contact me if your interested. I can make the static pages translatable also if you are interested for your account.
Are you sure everything work correctly?
I only get a
Code:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Page not found

The requested page could not be found.
But surely I'm interested in doing some (translation) work in the Wiki.

Quote:
Keep in mind, there is still a lot of work on the english wiki to give it a greater sense of assemblance and completeness.
Yes, but there are (mainly) two problems for me:
  1. Before writing in the Wiki I have to improve my English skills
  2. All the screenshots e.g. I'll make are in German (even don't know how some of the Windows things are called in English )
Would be also a good idea to have a corner for small discussions (in the users native language).

Gunther

PS: Ah ..., seems that the old "speaking" URLs have gone and instead all URLs look now like /node/<number> (that's not so good). And still did not find out how ther server decides which language version to serf?
Old 03-02-2010, 19:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
Hi Will!
Are you sure everything work correctly?
I only get a
Code:
Page not found
which page is not found? can you post a link?
Quote:
Would be also a good idea to have a corner for small discussions (in the users native language).
you can use comments for this... comments are viewable only to users who are logged in. ie: working on editing the same content you are. this is a good place for wiki discussion

Quote:
PS: Ah ..., seems that the old "speaking" URLs have gone and instead all URLs look now like /node/<number> (that's not so good). And still did not find out how ther server decides which language version to serf?
Use "URL path settings" to rename urls for your specific language.

Other thoughts ... I'll monitor how things are going as pages are translated. And I'll try to refine how the website functions for you. Please let me know if you have any problems.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21   #23

Hi Will,

thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try.
I'll send you an email to 'webmaster@opencpn.org' because I think that things from here on aren't of public interest anymore.

Gunther
Old 04-02-2010, 15:17   #24

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Impressed with the downloads by the way, looks like 5,000 units were shifted in January alone..

What are the stats on the website saying?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:44   #25

Opencpn.org downloads link to sf.net, so those totals should be complete.

Webstats are here https://opencpn.org/plesk-stat/webstat/ ... you'll have to ignore the invalid certificate.

I've removed multi-language capabilities from opencpn.org. We'll need more time to work on this.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:56   #26

Nice, thanks..

The multi-lingo is a bit of a nightmare on any CMS, I was surprised you were so confident about it The German homepage via selection could be done as a duplicate page with a link quite easily, perhaps we can leave that up?

If you look at the google opencpn - Google Search Perhaps the homepage should have a tagline (what's the technical term, descriptor tag? you know what I mean, the bit that goes into the browser title after loading) "official homepage" as we're not no 1 for opencpn; lots of people will get lost at sf.net or bdb's "out of date" homepage
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29   #27

Quote:
The multi-lingo is a bit of a nightmare on any CMS, I was surprised you were so confident about it The German homepage via selection could be done as a duplicate page with a link quite easily, perhaps we can leave that up?
My suggestion is as follows:
For every (supported) language a volunteer hosts a copy of the wiki (if possible/ available under opencpn.<tld>).

For the user accounts it should be possible to share one single database so that registration for every "official" wiki is only once needed.

Content from that wikis (in other language than English) could/ should be added to opencpn.org and vice versa.

I guess Will is using Drupal (and MySQL) so that there should be no problems in setting up the script on other servers (if he would be so kind to share the files for the layout etc. ).

Future releases of OCPN could then be offered packed with a manual in one of the those (available) languages.

The big advantage of such a splitting would be that you obtain many more users/ supporters without having to struggle around with multi-language things on only one site.

Users would have a place to discuss things in their native language (which is sometimes a lot easier) and/ or to put local news, links, etc.! The things of general interest and the excerpts could be also transfered to opencpn.org.

Just in case that you agree have I registered the domain opencpn.de!

Let me know your opinion/ proposal.

Gunther
Old 16-02-2010, 07:24   #28

Apparently someone has already created a spanish language support site. This ought to be linked from .org:

Ayuda en español OpenCPN
Old 16-02-2010, 12:03   #29

Quote:
Apparently someone has already created a spanish language support site. This ought to be linked from .org:

Ayuda en español OpenCPN
hi,
i´m Pepo II, Ayuda en español OpenCPN (spanish help about OCPN) is my web page. It was created to help spanish OCPN users, Chusgs translated OCPN messages to spanish, also. In the spanish forum "La Taberna del Puerto" (where sailors and yachtmen drink and speak about boats and seas) there is a thread about this program, in this thread we help us, we comments hints, problems, etc.
Old 16-02-2010, 12:50   #30

Hello Pepo, I've seen the thread, I've linked your page on the main opencpn.org page, and I was impressed, you put a lot of work in. My Spanish doesn't really suffice to partake on the Taberna forum

Best regards