Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-11-2010, 09:52   #61

Boat: Privilege 482
The dimming functionality is nice, but I may never use it unless we can come up a more workable way of displaying and using the pilot charts. Having played with the pilot charts a little bit now, I find that loading them all in along with other charts results in a pretty much unuseable mess for all of the reasons stated by Fabbian (performance of the app, ability to find the right month/chart, etc). For route planning, I pretty much just need one or perhaps 2 months of pilot charts open as I plot my route. Given that, I'd really like the functionlity to easily select just the one or two pilot charts I'm interested in. How are pilot charts handled in some of the other commercial software that is out there?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:20   #62

Boat: Dufour 35
fgd3
Quote:
I think of pilot charts as useful for planning purposes. I don't see why you would need dimming built in.
The dimming is not specific to the Pilot Charts. Have a look at the chart thread. From now on I will do all chart conversion with a built in dimming palette. No extra work at all. If you don't need it/like it, don't use it.

It is indeed a bit messy with a mix of 7z and zip files. The 7z is the way to go due to superior compression resulting in smaller files. Just install the Open Source 7z program and you're done. 7-Zip
It will work much the same as your unzip program.

The naming of the files could definitely be improved.The intention was that when loading one ocean area, the charts would appear in the correct order in the chart bar.
Even with a perfect naming scheme there will still be a problem with the 20 chart limit in the chart bar, especially in areas of overlap between two Pilot Chart Areas. See the separate thread dealing with this.

For now, just load one area at a time. It's so easy to load charts in OpenCPN so there is no need to always load everything you have.

teneicm

Why not copy the Pilot Charts you need to a directory and then point OpenCPN to it's location. Once again why load -all- PilotCharts, if you just need a few. Of course better naming would help this process.

Finally, if the Pilot Charts in this form, are useful to you or not, that's up to you.I have just made them available.

Thomas

Old 03-12-2010, 10:47   #63

Boat: Privilege 482
Cagney- my comments certainly weren't meant to be a shot at you. I very much apppreciate your work in making them available. Your suggestion is exactly how I have been using them, but it's a bit clunky and means a lot of hunting for the right file, moving directories around and it seems to trigger a rebuilding of the entire database each time a new file is put in. Not the end of the world certainly, but not an entirely elegant solution.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13   #64

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Cagney- my comments certainly weren't meant to be a shot at you. I very much apppreciate your work in making them available. Your suggestion is exactly how I have been using them, but it's a bit clunky and means a lot of hunting for the right file, moving directories around and it seems to trigger a rebuilding of the entire database each time a new file is put in. Not the end of the world certainly, but not an entirely elegant solution.
It's alright, never took it like that. I appreciate your comments.
I'm sure the interface will evolve with time ...

Thomas
Old 03-12-2010, 14:28   #65

Boat: Gilbert Marine
I think that the KAP/BSB pilot charts are very useful for planning purpose, not for on going sailing.
I have used the paper and the PDF format of the official pilot chats, and the plus of the ENC format used with OpenCPN is that you can planning your route, (across the Atlantic Ocean for example), and immediately you can check for a month of the year how the average weather conditions could be.

good winds and...
Sailing on and on and North across the sea

Regards

Andres_RG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: