Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 20:05   #16

Re: OpenCPN Optimized for Touch Screen

Context menu (right click) works on win 7,8 by pressing and holding on the screen.

Write your remarks when working with CPN on the touch screen.

1. Moving the map when you click on the map
2. When creating a route, measuring distances impossible to move the map. Moving map created waypoint. To complete the route, the measurements on the screen should be a button to "complete"
3. Need a button mode change course up north
4. Context menu (right click) adapted to work on the touch screen. Button to make the field wider.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23   #17

I agree Baikal that it is best to separate the threads to some extent ie:

Discuss android platform here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-21.html

windows here:
?

and tablet hardware here:
?

Leaving one place for development of the UI for all touchscreen tablets here as its a shared issue concerning screen resolution, touch interface and features that are not common with desktop version.

BTW its not about being a nanny state forum telling people what they can and can't post but rather making it easier to find relevant posts and hopefully answers down the track.
mhasting2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:41   #18

On the off chance that I can still post here...

I am unable to post directions where active discussions on android tablet Opencpn installs is taking place as they seem to violate some moderation rule. That is unfortunate as it would be of benefit to quite a few people I would suspect.

I do not wish to upset anyone so if this is contrary to house rules I will just take my bat an ball and play elsewhere.

Cheers

Mark Hastings
AKA tryflying on SA
Old 10-12-2013, 20:33   #19

I read the topic on android
Subject went into a discussion of remote access hardware and software
interface for the touch screen so nothing decided.

I think that the remote control on the tablets is secondary.
need to decide what should be improved in OpenCPN to work on the monitor with a touch screen or tablet with windows 7, 8

Once again the shortcomings on the touch screen!
2. When creating a route, measuring distances impossible to move the map. Moving map created waypoint. To complete the route, the measurements on the screen should be a button to "complete"
4. Context menu (right click) adapted to work on the touch screen. Button to make the field wider.

Please pay attention to how cool interface is implemented for the touch screen at the program or polarnav coastalexplorer
Old 11-12-2013, 03:04   #20

Hi Baikal, not sure which thread you are referring to. The one I wanted to post a link to is about the technique of installing an linux shell on an Android tablet so not a remote terminal of a central pc setup. It was started by the guy who got Opencpn to work on an android tablet in the first place and he does not/can not post here anymore.

You have the same functionality as a normal Linux install but screen resolution/size is an issue with the tablets as well as the points you mention

I'm pretty new to Opencpn but in my install I can drag the map without creating a waypoint. one needs to hold the finger on the screen for a second prior to dragging.

To do a right button click I select the item with one finger and then touch a second finger to bring up the menu (akin to right click)

Clicking on the map does center it. But it is laggy on my setup

I'm not anti windows but their tablets do tend to cost more and as far as I know the sony Xperia is the only show in town (at this point) that is waterproof.

I think the issues presented by using this app on a touch screen tablet are shared no matter what the OS.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46   #21

see no point in porting CPN on android or iOS. Maps for jeppesen plan2nav or Navionics cost a penny.

Let's focus on the discussion of the interface for the touch screen. Based upon what is now esti used ie laptops, desktops with an external monitor, tablets on windows
Old 11-12-2013, 10:47   #22

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
I read the topic on android

Once again the shortcomings on the touch screen!

Please pay attention to how cool interface is implemented for the touch screen at the program or polarnav coastalexplorer
Baikal,
I agree with your point #1. But the fact that by touching the screen you exit the follow the boat mode bothers me more. I guess that we could have options that disable both of these side effects.
I don't quite understand point#2. In route mode, I think I can do anything with a touchscreen that I can do with a mouse. I'm using a ST5111 with XP. That said I would really like to see Zoom included in the right click route menu. I think it used to be there.
Is point #3 referring to route mode?
I think you need to say more about point #4. On my machine I sometimes have trouble holding the stylus touch still for the required delay time. I have set the time to the minimum, 1 sec. I would like to have an optional button that says the next stylus touch is a right click.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
see no point in porting CPN on android or iOS. Maps for jeppesen plan2nav or Navionics cost a penny.

Let's focus on the discussion of the interface for the touch screen. Based upon what is now esti used ie laptops, desktops with an external monitor, tablets on windows
Without getting drawn into a long discussion of hardware there are a few good reasons that porting to the other OS tablet platforms not least of which is that they are the best hardware on the market (at the moment) for an integrated very low power portable navigation device.

From what I've seen maps for the other apps mentioned cost a darn site more than a penny in places outside of the US.

But on topic... A touch screen interface does not (necessarily) or should not need to be OS specific.

creating a list of the short comings that we are experiencing is a good idea as it will allow other platforms to test to see if they have the same issue.

to your points

#1 I have to exit (deselect) follow mode for the ability to pan via click
#2 Will test
#3 ? don't understand its a option in the settings menu
#4 two finger right button works for me.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18   #24

Mhastings2004

What platform are you using?
Old 12-12-2013, 07:24   #25

Who agrees with paragraph 1. Moving the map when you click on the MAP please email tracker FS # 1188

According to paragraph 3, I meant to make the button indicator in the upper right corner of the screen that displays the mode map orientation north up or course. Will be easier to click on the indicator of regime change than to press the right button
According to paragraph 4 - sketched idea menu with subcategories. In the same menu, right-click the replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UI_Touch_Concept.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	71978  
Old 12-12-2013, 11:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Mhastings2004

What platform are you using?
Sony Xperoa 10.1"tablet
Old 12-12-2013, 13:58   #27

Mhastings2000 mentioned a "two finger right click". This tells me that he is using a finger touch screen rather than a (active) stylus touch screen. The interface requirements may well be different for these two styles. When I create routes I can re-position the screen by hovering the stylus near the edge of the screen. The mouse works the same way. I don't see how to do the same using fingers. You can, of course, "two finger right click" and scale out; but it's nor really the same thing because you lose detail.

This brings up a question in my mind. Is it possible to place Marks and Routes accurately using your fingers? If the answer is no, then, I think, the problem is simplified.

Perhaps the answer is yes if you can use some sort of stylus on these new screens?

Baikal are you using a "finger touch screen"?
Old 12-12-2013, 18:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Mhastings2000 mentioned a "two finger right click". This tells me that he is using a finger touch screen rather than a (active) stylus touch screen. The interface requirements may well be different for these two styles. When I create routes I can re-position the screen by hovering the stylus near the edge of the screen. The mouse works the same way. I don't see how to do the same using fingers. You can, of course, "two finger right click" and scale out; but it's nor really the same thing because you lose detail.

This brings up a question in my mind. Is it possible to place Marks and Routes accurately using your fingers? If the answer is no, then, I think, the problem is simplified.

Perhaps the answer is yes if you can use some sort of stylus on these new screens?

Baikal are you using a "finger touch screen"?
I use an industrial PC with touch screen. OS windows 7 multitouch not.

Here's how to solve the problem of creating a route on the touch screen in the program Coastal Explorer (similarly done in MaxSeaTZ )

"How it Works

Creating a route is basically the same as it was before: you use the Add Route command, click where you want waypoints, and press the Done button (or Esc key) when you're done. (Double-clicking on the last waypoint doesn't work in the new mode yet, but it probably will when we're done.)

The main difference is that you used to be able to press the mouse and drag to where you want to create a waypoint and now you need to press and release the mouse button (or your finger) where you want the waypoint. If you "drag" (press-move-release) then you will scroll the chart rather than create a waypoint. This (along with pinch to zoom on multi-touch devices) lets you easily move around the chart while you are creating your route.

Another difference is that you can do just about anything while you are creating a route. You can move waypoints around, even make changes to other routes. Almost everything that doesn't involve a simple click on the chart will work while in route creation mode; the only thing that is really different in this mode is that simple clicks on the chart will create a new waypoint and append it to the route you are building.

One more difference is in how undo works. It used to be that undo did nothing while you were creating a route and undo after creating a route would remove the route you just created. In "touch mode" undo will always undo the last individual change you made or the last waypoint that was added to the route.

Known Issues

This feature is not quite done (which is why it's in Rose Point Labs) and we know about a couple of issues, including:

You must press the Done button or the Esc key to stop creating the route
You cannot include existing waypoints in the route being created yet
The Add to End of Route command still works the "old way""

This method works well with a mouse .
Old 12-12-2013, 20:02   #29

My mistake...I assumed when we were talking about touch screens it meant multi touch tablets of various OS flavors. Single point touch screens are a bit old school.

I was pressed for time this morning so here is the full details of my setup:

Sony Xperia model #SGP311
Android vers 4.2.2
Build 10.3.1.C.0.36
16gb internal 64gb external sd card or add usb stick etc
Linux Debian wheezy armhf running in a chroot environment
Xfce desktop running in bVNC pro window
GPS activated for OpenCPN using GPS share WiFi app

Multi touch screen has all the usual features running in the Linux environment.... Pinch to zoom (desktop not OpenCPN) click and drag, right click, pull up onscreen keyboard with fn keys etc so all the hot keys like ESC to finish a route available onscreen

Hovering at the border of OpenCPN still brings up the green arrow keys like on my PC but zooming out and in can be faster.

I think I can place waypoints pretty well and just zoom the map to the required scale (CM93 vector charts) and then pinch zoom the desktop further to get very accurate. Not done a lot of testing but this seems to work fine.

Baikal I'm a bit confused why we are discussing specifics of a different piece of navigation software in an OpenCPN thread. I don't see the relevance unless its as a means of highlighting good features that would be desirable within OpenCPN.
Old 13-12-2013, 02:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhasting2004 View Post
Baikal I'm a bit confused why we are discussing specifics of a different piece of navigation software in an OpenCPN thread. I don't see the relevance unless its as a means of highlighting good features that would be desirable within OpenCPN.
My task is to draw attention to analogs! Your task is to explore and come up with the best solution even if it will be like counterparts.

Realized how the creation of a route at CE similarly done almost all the popular navigation applications for tablets.

Tags
screen