Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 04:43   #1

pirate OpenCPN on Ubuntu ARM Notebooks

Hi. I purchased a new ARM Chromebook and installed Ubuntu ARM version on the Chromebook so I could install OpenCPN.

Has anyone compiled a version of the OpenCPN for Ubuntu ARM OS version 12.04 ?

When I tried to install from Downloads error said "i386 version", then I realised it was not going to install.

If anyone could compile for ARM Ubuntu I would be most grateful, as I do not know how to do that.

I have OpenCPN on Windows, but was looking for a small low-powered device such as the new ARM Chromebook for my boat. Sure others will be in similar boat.

Many thanks.

Technicaltony.
Technicaltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 23:38   #2

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: OpenCPN on Ubuntu ARM Notebooks

Technicaltony,

I'm not familiar with the Chromebook. However you may want to take a look at httppencpn.org/ocpn/node/193 Use Google to learn about existing groups actively hacking the system. Is the boot loader "locked". Have techniques been developed to root the device if necessary? You're going to need to do some legwork. To your advantage the Google Chrome operating system has a linux kernel. What kind of memory and storage space does the device have? Is it adequate for what you want to do?

armido

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:12   #3

Technicaltony,

If you already have linux on your device all you should need to is follow my instructions at opencpn.org for installing OpenCpn!

armido
Old 16-01-2013, 20:54   #4

Armido
I have followed your instructions and now my BU 353 is dead! The red light will not light no matter what machine I plug it into. I was trying to get it to work on ubuntu 12.04 and got up to "The command $gpsctl -n will put the GPS into NMEA mode." or near that in your instructions and I noticed that the red led had turned off. It was working before this. I reckon I've reset something in the BU353 but now I don't know how to unreset it!

I've tired the bu353 on my vista and windows 7 machines and now it won't start even though it worked before. There is nothing wrong with opencpn.

Dave
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 08:31   #5

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technicaltony View Post
Has anyone compiled a version of the OpenCPN for Ubuntu ARM OS version 12.04 ?
Alisdair is working on a version for the raspberry pi:
PiChart

Check out the various pi-related threads
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 10:57   #6

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Armido
I have followed your instructions and now my BU 353 is dead! The red light will not light no matter what machine I plug it into. I was trying to get it to work on ubuntu 12.04 and got up to "The command $gpsctl -n will put the GPS into NMEA mode." or near that in your instructions and I noticed that the red led had turned off. It was working before this. I reckon I've reset something in the BU353 but now I don't know how to unreset it!

I've tired the bu353 on my vista and windows 7 machines and now it won't start even though it worked before. There is nothing wrong with opencpn.

Dave
The easiest way to fix your BU353 may be to download "sirfdemo" from the net, to one of your win boxes. You can easily switch between NMEA and SIRF mode and directly see what's going on.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 11:34   #7

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Alisdair is working on a version for the raspberry pi:
PiChart

Check out the various pi-related threads
Just to clarify that in case it's mistaken for one of those not very helpful and not very relevant replies...in case you're not familiar with it the pi uses an arm v6 processor and the OS Alisdair is using is a hard float raspbian, which is a hard float debian derivative so it is very relevant to what you're trying to do.

There's a current thread discussing a problem currently being investigated with this arm version
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:21   #8

technicaltony,

I may have directed you to my installation instructions for linux and OpenCPN, but there is no mention in the instructions for using a gps. Also, be advised work is ongoing getting gps to work on an android tablet. See the thread OpenCPN in stall on android tablets easier now for progress in making this happen.

armido
Old 21-01-2013, 11:51   #9

Technicaltony,

Have you run the NmeaTest? You can download from Marius site. See my thread - "OpenCPN install..easier now..." for more information and download link.

armido

Tags
opencpn