Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 19:00   #31

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: OpenCPN On Tablet Computer

At the moment, the two most promising tablets seem to be the Motion Computering LE1600 for around $200 and the Fujitsu Stylistic st5112 for around $300 including docking station. Both are available with Windows XP Tablet PC 2005 Edition. They both seem to meet my requirements except that neither have a SSD and I'm not sure about fans. I like the fact that they both come with a 12.1 inch screen. I don't really appreciate how the touchscreen technologies may differ; I need to investigate that further. Comments or suggestions appreciated.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:18   #32

One thing that confuses me (still) is the interface with OpenCPN if one was to install, for example, Ubuntu. These tablets use special pens which would seem to require special drivers. Who's to say that these drivers exist within Ubuntu for any given tablet? If they don't exist then I'm not sure how one can interface to OpenCPN since I plan to operate the tablet without a keyboard or mouse. I've been operating under the assumption that any tablet which is available with Windows can accept Ubuntu, but that's not to say the drivers exist to operate as a standalone tablet. Comments appreciated.
Pete
Old 26-08-2011, 16:10   #33

As an aside, I have a standalone computer that could easily be available for use (ZOTAC MAG Dual-Core All-in-One Mini-PC [MAGHD-ND01-U]). Can anyone suggest an inexpensive 12" touchscreen monitor that could be used with it? This would make for a very flexible and powerful navigation system for running OpenCPN, but may draw more current?
Pete
Old 27-08-2011, 12:58   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Google for Windows tablet. There are quite a few.

Make sure drivers for all required peripherals are available (e.g. for your GPS). For built in GPS models, make sure the GPS data is available at a point where your navigation software can use it (most often: a COM).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 17:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
As an aside, I have a standalone computer that could easily be available for use (ZOTAC MAG Dual-Core All-in-One Mini-PC [MAGHD-ND01-U]). Can anyone suggest an inexpensive 12" touchscreen monitor that could be used with it? This would make for a very flexible and powerful navigation system for running OpenCPN, but may draw more current?
Pete
I've given this option some more thought. As mentioned, my biggest concern is power consumption. I've now thought of a variation. I drive a 12" touchscreen monitor off my existing laptop. I believe the built-in screen of laptop can be disabled to conserve power. Also, whether it be the standalone computer or laptop, it can be tucked out of harm's way when navigating underway.

With respect to the monitor I've come up with the following requirements:
1. built-in speaker(s) (for OpenCPN alarms)
2. Linux and Windows drivers
3. USB interface (for touch commands)
4. min 1024 X 768 resolution
5. <= 15 Watts
6. Stylus included
7. VGA video (15 pin D-connector)
7. size 12"
8. 12VDC input

Here is a brand-new one for $165 that seems to meet all the requirements:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

As an interesting aside, I asked Square Trade if a warranty could be had in the case where the seller did not list make or model. The answer was "Yes, no problem".

Looks like with this addition, I would have a flexible, touchscreen navigation system mounted to bulkhead of Nav station meeting all my requirements for less than $200. I could drive the touchscreen monitor with either my existing laptop or standalone computer depending on measured power consumption. The laptop or standalone computer could be mounted safely out of harm's way. OpenCPN could run under either Linux or Windows since the monitor includes drivers for both. Looks like a winner; thanks again for all the inputs.
Pete
Old 28-08-2011, 04:53   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) Can anyone suggest an inexpensive 12" touchscreen monitor that could be used with it? This would make for a very flexible and powerful navigation system for running OpenCPN, but may draw more current?
Pete
I would think twice before going for a 12 inch touchscreen on Windows (I guess Windows).

The first thing is the choice of 12 inch touchscreens is not huge and their resolution tends to be on the low side.

The other thing is that Windows 7 (I guess 7) touchscreen experience is quite different from say Android touchscreen or an iPod/Pad.

So, my advice is, if you can rent/hire/borrow a touchscreen of choice before you buy and test it for your needs; this might save you some bucks and some (potential) disappointment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:24   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would think twice before going for a 12 inch touchscreen on Windows (I guess Windows).

The first thing is the choice of 12 inch touchscreens is not huge and their resolution tends to be on the low side.

The other thing is that Windows 7 (I guess 7) touchscreen experience is quite different from say Android touchscreen or an iPod/Pad.

So, my advice is, if you can rent/hire/borrow a touchscreen of choice before you buy and test it for your needs; this might save you some bucks and some (potential) disappointment.

b.
Thanks. I share your concern esp. since I've no experience with how these touchscreen monitors interface to Windows. Yes, I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows XP on my standalone computer. The eBay listing I prefer does state that drivers are available for both Windows and Ubuntu, but since the make and model is not listed I have no way to follow up with the manufacturer and get additional details. I would definitely be risking the $165 if I were to purchase it without additional details. It's my hope that the touch features of monitor emulate a USB mouse with left click, right click, cursor motion, etc.
Pete
Old 28-08-2011, 07:29   #38

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

I have a Fujitsu st5112 tablet pc that I purchased from an Ebay seller for about $300.00. It dual boots Windows XP Tablet Ed. and Xubuntu 10.4.
Touchscreen controls are pretty much equal between both Operating systems, but I feel like Xubuntu is more consistent and less likely to lock-up or freeze. Both systems have comparable onboard keyboards for typing input, and the active pen seems to function better with Xubuntu. I prefer to use a usb mouse instead of the pen and touchscreen while underway. The screen is advertised as indoor and outdoor viewable, but is very washed out in direct sunlight. I use mine in a pilot house type of boat, so it is sufficiently bright enough for my use. I get my gps data from my old, trusty Garmin 126 nmea out and into the tablet with a serial to usb adaptor. I hope this small review helps with some of your questions
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
I have a Fujitsu st5112 tablet pc that I purchased from an Ebay seller for about $300.00. It dual boots Windows XP Tablet Ed. and Xubuntu 10.4.
Touchscreen controls are pretty much equal between both Operating systems, but I feel like Xubuntu is more consistent and less likely to lock-up or freeze. Both systems have comparable onboard keyboards for typing input, and the active pen seems to function better with Xubuntu. I prefer to use a usb mouse instead of the pen and touchscreen while underway. The screen is advertised as indoor and outdoor viewable, but is very washed out in direct sunlight. I use mine in a pilot house type of boat, so it is sufficiently bright enough for my use. I get my gps data from my old, trusty Garmin 126 nmea out and into the tablet with a serial to usb adaptor. I hope this small review helps with some of your questions
Thanks. Very interesting! They are available on eBay for $300 with the docking station included. If you don't mind, I may have more questions for you since your experience is so relevant to my considerations.
Pete
Old 28-08-2011, 07:47   #40

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

I wonder whether Fujitsu st5112 tablet pc with OS Xubuntu is compatible with OpenCPN software? What is the difference between ubuntu for OCPN and Xubuntu?

Tore
Old 28-08-2011, 08:55   #41

Quote:
Just thought of another question. Can you list the pros and cons of the Fujitsu st5112. I'm particularly anxious to understand its limitations given its age.
Pete
Old 28-08-2011, 09:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
I wonder whether Fujitsu st5112 tablet pc with OS Xubuntu is compatible with OpenCPN software? What is the difference between ubuntu for OCPN and Xubuntu?

Tore
Xubuntu runs the xfce desktop environment whereas Ubuntu usually runs Gnome desktop. From what I understand, Xubuntu is basically Ubuntu with the desktop environment swapped out. It also has a lot less software bloat than Ubuntu, thus a smaller download. I tried the newer releases of Ubuntu, but found out that some of the st5112's hardware was not supported correctly with the newer kernels. I have OpenCPN 2.5 running and plotting.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:41   #43

Quote:
Just thought of another question. Can you list the pros and cons of the Fujitsu st5112. I'm particularly anxious to understand its limitations given its age.
Pete
Having a 12" color screen plotter with up to date charts that I can see and will keep my position refreshed while I'm running 20+ knots for less than the cost of a tank of fuel is the biggest thing for me.

Some of the pros for this computer to me are:
Cost - $300.00, including shipping, desktop dock (that I use on the dash of boat), usb keyboard and mouse, extra digitizer pen and 1gb extra memory.

Portability - The battery I have lasts for about 6 hrs doing what I do with it. On the boat, I use a 12v to 16v adaptor, but it may very well run straight from the house battery.

Screen visibility - It certainly is miles ahead of the Si-tex NavADD 6000 Nt plotter I had. It also is more visible than the Toughbook cf-m34 outdoor visible laptop that I used to have.

Replacement parts are still available for it.

WinXP, Vista and Win7 drivers are all available from the manufacturers website.

Most Linux flavors are probably compatible with it, if you know how to search for and install the right drivers.

It is upgradeable to 4 gig of memory and SSD hard drive.

The cons that I have seen so far:

It gets pretty warm on the dash of the boat, but it hasn't shut down yet. 90+ degree weather and no AC.

Grandkids like to play with it.
Old 28-08-2011, 16:48   #44

Quote:
Having a 12" color screen plotter with up to date charts that I can see and will keep my position refreshed while I'm running 20+ knots for less than the cost of a tank of fuel is the biggest thing for me.

Some of the pros for this computer to me are:
Cost - $300.00, including shipping, desktop dock (that I use on the dash of boat), usb keyboard and mouse, extra digitizer pen and 1gb extra memory.

Portability - The battery I have lasts for about 6 hrs doing what I do with it. On the boat, I use a 12v to 16v adaptor, but it may very well run straight from the house battery.

Screen visibility - It certainly is miles ahead of the Si-tex NavADD 6000 Nt plotter I had. It also is more visible than the Toughbook cf-m34 outdoor visible laptop that I used to have.

Replacement parts are still available for it.

WinXP, Vista and Win7 drivers are all available from the manufacturers website.

Most Linux flavors are probably compatible with it, if you know how to search for and install the right drivers.

It is upgradeable to 4 gig of memory and SSD hard drive.

The cons that I have seen so far:

It gets pretty warm on the dash of the boat, but it hasn't shut down yet. 90+ degree weather and no AC.

Grandkids like to play with it.
Thanks for the great review. Sounds like it fulfills all my requirements. Have you ever determined what the average current consumption is?
Pete
Old 28-08-2011, 17:28   #45

Quote:
Still another couple questions! I see you use a serial-to-usb converter to read your gps. Do you also read AIS data (as I plan to)? Can you think of any reason why that wouldn't work? I suppose that would use up both USB ports. Note: I don't intend to use the dock (with the extra USB ports) while navigating since the tablet would be attached to the bulkhead of nav station. Also, I believe there is a Microsoft COA on back, but do you know of a source for the original Windows XP Tablet edition on DVD (as opposed to some type of recovery disk)?
Pete

Tags
opencpn