Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2011, 04:30   #76

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: OpenCPN On Tablet Computer

I've pretty much completed installation of Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) and OpenCPN. I have purchased a Bluetooth mouse and a PCMCIA card with two RS232 ports. These peripherals will allow use of mouse and acquisition of gps and AIS data without use of the two USB ports. Now I need to turn my attention to mounting of the tablet to bulkhead at Nav Station. I have noted that when tablet is oriented in portrait mode, the text at the bottom of OpenCPN (eg, cursor position) is too small for me to read. This suggests the tablet should be oriented in landscape mode. I really don't like this for aesthetic reasons. Also, when oriented in portrait mode, the bottom 3 inches of the tablet is free of all ports which would allow some kind of slot to be created into which the tablet slips. The ideal mount would take advantage of slots in back which the dock uses to capture the tablet. Unfortunately this would be a bit complicated. Ideas and/or suggests would be appreciated.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 06:20   #77

Boat: On the Hard

I use a 3" strip of velcro for my G5 Grundig radio. Make its both stationary and portable. For your tablet you could do the same for sure as its far less weight then the radio and then make a nice teak frame for the tablet that allows for the cables. The frame can be attached to the bulkhead with velcro discs so its removeable too so you can play with the cables as needed. They can also be hidden with removable teak sections. The industrial strength stuff is really really strong.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:02   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
I use a 3" strip of velcro for my G5 Grundig radio. Make its both stationary and portable. For your tablet you could do the same for sure as its far less weight then the radio and then make a nice teak frame for the tablet that allows for the cables. The frame can be attached to the bulkhead with velcro discs so its removeable too so you can play with the cables as needed. They can also be hidden with removable teak sections. The industrial strength stuff is really really strong.
Thanks. As it turns out I was able to purchase a defective ST5112 docking station for the cost of the UPS postage. The dock has a nice latch that both supports and allows for easy dismounting. Another feature is a built-in rotation mechanism that would allow operation in either portrait or landscape mode. The only negative to that would be the amount of room that must be allocated on bulkhead. Since I may very well wish to operate in both modes from time to time I will try to allocated the space required.
Pete
Old 25-10-2011, 13:52   #79

Boat: Hobby 25

To respond to the original question:

it looks like rhe convertible ClassmatePC by 2GOOPC is a good fit.

In addition to your requirements, it's ruggezied and with an active screen that (on paper) should be ok for sunlight readable.
Old 30-10-2011, 13:30   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Peterson 44
Question Re: OpenCPN On Tablet Computer

Can you please add a link where I can find out more about this? Is that the Air display app for the Ipad? If so how does this work with a Windows program on the PC since Air Display seems to only work with the Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.fairman View Post
I run OpenCPN on a iPad 2 using a utility called display I run OpenCPN on a laptop in the cabin and display the screen on the IPad 2. All the touch screen features are relayed to Open CPN. A little slow but works ok. Connects via wifi

Richard
richardhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 13:40   #81
Marine Service Provider

I now use an app called team viewer. Free from the app store works with windows A lot faster than iDisplay. Control and display any program on your on your iPad. I connect via an ad hoc network if I don't have Internet.

Regards

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 00:23   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum richardhc
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 01:26   #83

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
I now use an app called team viewer. Free from the app store works with windows A lot faster than iDisplay. Control and display any program on your on your iPad. I connect via an ad hoc network if I don't have Internet.

Regards

Richard
I use Parallels however for this task which is not free for the Mac but free for iPhone and iPad (useless if you have not Parallels at the Mac also). Testing TeamViewer also I found Parallels much smoother and with a better screen resolution than TeamViewer. Parallels is mainly used for virtually Windows and Ubuntu machines at the Mac.

Gerhard
CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 03:31   #84

We just launched our sailboat and have now had the opportunity to measure the current draw of the st5112 using an accurate digital battery monitor. Unfortunately, it draws more current than our Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop we hope to replace. The measurements were 4.4 Amps at 12.5 VDC (55.0 Watts) for the tablet vs 3.3 Amps at 12.5 VDC (41.3 Watts) for the laptop. In both cases, it was running OpenCPN at idle. We had really hoped it would draw less than the laptop.

The next task is to reorganize the displays at Nav station to accommodate the mounting of ST5112. As mentioned, above we acquired a mount which allows for easy removal and even rotation. It now appears that we will give up on rotation give space limitations on the bulkhead.

Edit: whoops, someone on another forum pointed out that a good part of the current draw measured for the tablet was probably going to charge the battery. I removed the battery and reran the test and got 1.45 Amps at 12.7 Volts (18.4 Watts). That's a whole lot better!
Old 31-10-2011, 03:53   #85

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Edit: whoops, someone on another forum pointed out that a good part of the current draw measured for the tablet was probably going to charge the battery. I removed the battery and reran the test and got 1.45 Amps at 12.7 Volts (18.4 Watts). That's a whole lot better!
Unfortunately you can't detach the battery of an iPad. If the battery is empty you have to reload it. I use therefore an USB connector with 1 Amps build in on the boat and connected to the boats 12 volts circuit. This connector has a 12 to 5 volts converter build-in.

Gerhard
Attached Images

CarCode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Peterson 44

Right, this is great! I have teamviewer working OK via the Internet (a bit slow with my connection) - BUT - I can't figure out how to connect via an ad hoc network even using the Teamviewer manual. After searching on Google and trying for several hours I've come to a http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif
It is probably an issue with my Samsung Galaxy tablet. My Google adventures showed me that IPad has similar problems with ad hoc wifi connections when working with Windows 7 on the PC.

Quote:

Regards

Richard
richardhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 21:23   #87
Marine Service Provider

I similar problems with adhoc network ipad to xp. I found the solution when i disconnected my ipad and my pc from the router wifi connection. Then i connected to pc to the adhoc I had created then the Ipad could see the pc adhoc and connect. It does work on xp perhaps others will have info on 7

regards

Richard
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 17:04   #88

Just today we managed to get the ST5112 mounted. It was a big job because we had to scrap the old panel in favor of a new one in order to rearrange everything to make room for the tablet PC. The mount was scavenged from a surplus dock and provides for rotation as shown in the following pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portrait.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	33464   Click image for larger version

Name:	landscape.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	33465  

Old 06-03-2012, 01:43   #89

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Sorry to dust off an old thread but I'm considering getting an ST5112 and have a few questions about using it as a cheap chart plotter:

- Now that you fellows have had some time with it, which OS is best? XP, 7 or Ubuntu? The unit I'm looking at comes with XP Pro pre installed.

- Anyone find a decent (low cost) waterproof case for these?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:04   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Sorry to dust off an old thread but I'm considering getting an ST5112 and have a few questions about using it as a cheap chart plotter:

- Now that you fellows have had some time with it, which OS is best? XP, 7 or Ubuntu? The unit I'm looking at comes with XP Pro pre installed.

- Anyone find a decent (low cost) waterproof case for these?
I have tried XP and 7. I much prefer 7 and it seems to install easily. I have mounted the tablet on a bulkhead at the nav station so have not had need of a waterproof case. I was able to modify a base station so as to preserve the rotation feature.

I do have some negative comments:
  • While underway, it is very hard to use the stylus as it jumps around
  • For unknown reasons the USB ports (for gps and AIS) drop out and I must unplug and re-plug them to get OpenCPN to read them again
Pete

Tags
opencpn