Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 14:35   #61

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: OpenCPN On Tablet Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But the ports can be clonned with an adapter (hub). Or so I believe.

?

b.
Thanks. I do have a 4 port USB hub. I recently tried to use it on my Dell laptop for mouse and a couple thumbdrives. The mouse didn't act as well so I'm hoping to avoid hubs. Maybe put mouse and/or keyboard on Bluetooth? I really want to dedicate the two USB ports for the usb-to-serial adapters for reasons of reliability.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 20:28   #62

You shouldn't have any difficulty running OpenCPN with a stylus and a Tablet operating system (Win 7 or XP Tablet) I've done that frequently on IBM Tablets.

In my experience Win 7 is definitely the way to go. Equal performance to XP and some nice new functions.

As to 32 v's 64 bit I'd go 32 bit as you won't get any real advantage going with 64 bit and finding 64 bit drivers can be trickier.

AIS and GPS bandwidth are low, so should work fine through a hub although YMMV.

If you (or anyone else) suffers from the usual Windows problem of detecting a serial GPS (even if connected through a USB to serial convertor) as a mouse and then your cursor going crazy. then the only truly positive fix I've found is to use the free Com Port Plug and play blocker from here: Downloads Just install it and block plug and play detection on the com port your serial GPS is on.
kiwiradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:49   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiradical View Post
You shouldn't have any difficulty running OpenCPN with a stylus and a Tablet operating system (Win 7 or XP Tablet) I've done that frequently on IBM Tablets.

In my experience Win 7 is definitely the way to go. Equal performance to XP and some nice new functions.

As to 32 v's 64 bit I'd go 32 bit as you won't get any real advantage going with 64 bit and finding 64 bit drivers can be trickier.

AIS and GPS bandwidth are low, so should work fine through a hub although YMMV.

If you (or anyone else) suffers from the usual Windows problem of detecting a serial GPS (even if connected through a USB to serial convertor) as a mouse and then your cursor going crazy. then the only truly positive fix I've found is to use the free Com Port Plug and play blocker from here: Downloads Just install it and block plug and play detection on the com port your serial GPS is on.
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Everyone seems to agree that Win 7 is the preferred path over XP Tablet. I plan to go with 32 bit; no justification for 64 bit given the limited resources of my ST5112 and non-demanding applicaton.

I did suffer from the crazy cursor syndrome when I first tried (expensive) usb-to-serial adapters sold by Garmin at West Marine. I returned those and bought two very inexpensive adapters off eBay. They use the Prolific chip and have been reliable and trouble-free. With respect to the blocker program, does it interfere with other devices such as plug-n-play mice or keyboards in any way?
Pete
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01   #64

No, it doesn't cause any problems with other devices, it just blocks plug and lay detection on the com port number you select.
kiwiradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiradical View Post
No, it doesn't cause any problems with other devices, it just blocks plug and lay detection on the com port number you select.
Great, I didn't realize you could select an individual COM port.
Pete
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Thanks. I do have a 4 port USB hub. I recently tried to use it on my Dell laptop for mouse and a couple thumbdrives. The mouse didn't act as well so I'm hoping to avoid hubs. Maybe put mouse and/or keyboard on Bluetooth? I really want to dedicate the two USB ports for the usb-to-serial adapters for reasons of reliability.
Pete
Yep. Bluetooth keyboard/mouse or you can use any other port and adapter.

BTW why don't you use GPS and AIS on the same USB? Meaning: many AIS units accept GPS input and repeat GPS data on their AIS output. I have seen this even on the cheapest AIS boxes, so you would use only one USB port, the other could be used for other toys!

?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:02   #67

Quote:
Yep. Bluetooth keyboard/mouse or you can use any other port and adapter.

BTW why don't you use GPS and AIS on the same USB? Meaning: many AIS units accept GPS input and repeat GPS data on their AIS output. I have seen this even on the cheapest AIS boxes, so you would use only one USB port, the other could be used for other toys!

?

b.
Thanks. Interesting about combining AIS and gps. AIS is generated by my Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF radio. Don't know if it has that feature. Also, I would assume OpenCPN won't accept it since you configure COM ports for gps and AIS separately. Certainly if these two issues are not a problem, then it would be free up one of my USB ports
Pete
Old 09-09-2011, 13:22   #68

Quote:
Thanks. Interesting about combining AIS and gps. AIS is generated by my Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF radio. Don't know if it has that feature. Also, I would assume OpenCPN won't accept it since you configure COM ports for gps and AIS separately. Certainly if these two issues are not a problem, then it would be free up one of my USB ports
Pete
VHF SH 2100 almost certainly (?) takes GPS in and forwards the signal multiplexed with AIS data out.

Now on the CPN end you must consult the CPN manual - maybe the COMs are configured separately but they can be the same COM? Probably just try and see if such a trick works.

If the above does not work, I would try various COM port virtualizers - one USB/COM can be virtualized (clonned, not split!) over two different COMs. Then one of the COMs can be configured under CPN to use the GPS data, the other to use AIS data. Make sure CPN will accept the baud as forwarded by your SH VHF.

(BTW in dire emergency, if the above tricks do not work, you can use a Bluetooth GPS, right? Then you still have one USB free!)

All the above provided you will find drivers for all the toys. Sometimes lack of drivers (e.g. for Android or Linux) is the limit.

b.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:29   #69

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (32 bit) into my just received ST5112 immediately after making an Acronis image of the 'as received' OS. I performed all Windows updates and activated Windows. I have not installed any drivers not included with Windows 7. Generally speaking all went well. The big issue now is which, if any, drivers should I install from the Fujitsu site. At the moment, things are working well and I want to minimize the number of additional drivers to just those that serve some useful purpose. I do have some unresolved issues as follows:
  1. On bootup, BIOS issues an OS selection screen which says 'Earlier Version of Windows' and 'Windows 7'
  2. One 'unknown device' on Device Manager
  3. Max screen res = 1024 X 768
With respect to item 1 there is no earlier version; I did a clean install. With respect to item 2, I obviously need an additional driver, but don't know which one it is. With respect to item 3, I recall reading somewhere that while 1024 X 768 is the native resolution, one can achieve a higher resolution. At this point I would very much appreciate a list of drivers that others installing Windows 7 onto a ST5112 have found useful.

As an aside, I've been using free (for personal use) TeamViewer to control ST5112 from my Dell laptop. Since the ST5112 has no mouse nor keyboard, this is very very convenient. I install the Host version of TeamViewer into ST5112 and it runs as a service. I can even reboot and log on from my laptop.
Thanks
Pete
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23   #70

I finally solved the unknown device issue by calling Fujitsu Tech Support. With the hardware ID of FUJ02B1, they were able to identify the missing driver as the Hotkey driver. I installed that and the unknown device was eliminated. As an aside, it's not a matter of downloading and running the exe file. Apparently, that just copies the driver files to C:\Drivers\..., but does not install it. One must go into the Device Manager and click on Update Driver and browse to the driver location. I'm more used to drivers that self-install. I wonder if this applies to all the other Fujitsu drivers? Note: this issue should apply to all those attempting to install Windows 7 (32 bit) to a ST5112.
Pete
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43   #71

Quote:
(...) I'm more used to drivers that self-install. I wonder if this applies to all the other Fujitsu drivers?(...)
I am not sure about Windows 7 but it was a common occurence under XP - next time you started the machine the unknown device got recognised and the problem solved. Not applicable to 100% of drivers but yes to a good deal.

A smart installer will tell you to restart. But if the driver/installer comes from Fujitsu rather than from the component's manufacturer, then maybe you are in for a trend.

b.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:12   #72

Quote:
I am not sure about Windows 7 but it was a common occurence under XP - next time you started the machine the unknown device got recognised and the problem solved. Not applicable to 100% of drivers but yes to a good deal.

A smart installer will tell you to restart. But if the driver/installer comes from Fujitsu rather than from the component's manufacturer, then maybe you are in for a trend.

b.
In my case, rebooting had no effect. I had to go into the Device Manager and manually update driver and browse to location of driver file.
Pete
Old 22-09-2011, 17:21   #73

I've purchased a used SYBA PCMCIA 2-Port RS232 Serial CardBus on eBay which will allow me to acquire both gps and AIS data and leave my two USB port free for other uses. I also purchased a used Microsoft Bluetooth® Notebook Mouse 5000 on eBay which takes advantage of the built-in Bluetooth capability and again leaves the USB ports available for other uses. Windows 7 provided the appropriate drivers for both
Pete
Old 23-09-2011, 02:36   #74
rdd

Boat: Bianca 28

If you are looking for a cheap solution, I can recommend getting a used Toughbook CF-18. It's not the slimmest machine but very rugged and will not give up when sprayed with some water.

I picked one up on eBay for 200 €. Combine it with a bluetooth gps-receiver that I keep in the cabin. I run Ubuntu linux and opencpn works really well with a stylus.

From a nearly new battery (which I was lucky enough to get with the Toughbook) I get about 6 hrs of usage. Direct sunlight makes it necessary to turn the brightness to max but even then it's easiest to just hold it under the sprayhood.
rdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 04:41   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdd View Post
If you are looking for a cheap solution, I can recommend getting a used Toughbook CF-18. It's not the slimmest machine but very rugged and will not give up when sprayed with some water.

I picked one up on eBay for 200 €. Combine it with a bluetooth gps-receiver that I keep in the cabin. I run Ubuntu linux and opencpn works really well with a stylus.

From a nearly new battery (which I was lucky enough to get with the Toughbook) I get about 6 hrs of usage. Direct sunlight makes it necessary to turn the brightness to max but even then it's easiest to just hold it under the sprayhood.
Looks like a nice option esp. if you plan to use it in cockpit where it may be subject to spray. In my case, I will mount the Fujitsu ST5112 to the bulkhead at Nav Station. While underway, I don't plan to use a keyboard or mouse. Basically, I'm building a low cost, DIY chartplotter.
Pete

Tags
opencpn