Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-09-2015, 11:11   #16

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House
Re: OPENCPN on RPI2 and the Chartdldr plugin

Dave

Good Morning. Perhaps I am not doing something quite right. I opened LXTerminal, and cd into "chartdldr_pi" directory. When I enter the command "CD BUILD" I get the following back "bash: cd: build: No such file or directory.

Curt

Old 28-09-2015, 11:26   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskamanUSCG View Post
Dave

Good Morning. Perhaps I am not doing something quite right. I opened LXTerminal, and cd into "chartdldr_pi" directory. When I enter the command "CD BUILD" I get the following back "bash: cd: build: No such file or directory.

Curt

Curt,

Before you can cd you need to type command:

mkdir build

I say the next thing with all respect. Are you sure you are up to building a complex software system like OpenCPN? From your questions it seems maybe you don't have a lot of software development experience. What you are doing is not for the faint of heart and requires some prior experience to expect a positive outcome.

Old 28-09-2015, 11:27   #18

Curt...
You have to create the build directory first. Also, it is unix, so the case of the letters matters...
The master branch of the source is not compatible with O4.0 anymore, so you will have to switch the codebase to a more ancient state. To build a version which will work with your OpenCPN 4.0, do the following:
Code:
cd chartdldr_pi
git checkout v1.0
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
If you don't have all the dependencies already installed, the following will be needed before you intend to build:
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake gettext git-core gpsd gpsd-clients libgps-dev wx-common libwxgtk2.8-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev wx2.8-headers libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev
Good luck

Pavel
Old 28-09-2015, 11:59   #19

Hi Dave - No worries and no feelings hurt. I have the RPI2 up and running, on-line with both Ethernet cable and wifi, and I have OPENCpn up and running too. I've managed to get the necessary files edited it's just haven't I have not been able to get the chart updater plug in to install. As far as I can see this isn't rocket science. I do appreciate the info you and others have provided.
Curt
Old 28-09-2015, 14:08   #20

Thanks for your assistance. I now have the RPI2 running with OPENCpn including the plugin for the chartdldr.

My have a background working with DOS, and such there were files that we would make copies of and store within the program so that if something got corrupted we could rename the file back to the original and usually correct the problem. I am just learning how UNIX works so my question is along those lines, are there files that are good to make a copy of, if so what are they.

Also is there a way to copy the working image and store it?

I had one odd issue this A.M. Last night I logged off OPCENCPN and shut down my system. This morning when I turned it back up, none of the charts were listed in the OPTION -- CHART FILES Directory. They were still in the OPENCPN file I made for them, so I had to reload them. Anyone know why they disappeared and how to keep this from happening again?

Thanks for the assistance with answering my questions.

Regards

Curt
Old 30-09-2015, 20:55   #21

Good Evening.

I have OpenCPN up and running on my RPI2. I had one question. When I shut down the system for the night, then restarted in the a.m., none of my charts were in the OPTIONS, CHARTS, CHART FILES folder. They were still in the file on the HD, so I just had to rebuild the database. Is there something within the OPENCpn program that will keep that from happening?

Thanks

Curt
Old 01-10-2015, 06:18   #22

Curt...
What should we imagine under your daily shutdown? You simply cut the power from the running system?

Pavel
Old 01-10-2015, 10:29   #23

Good Morning Pavel

No - I have my RPI2 with OPENCpn on my workbench while I play around with it. I was securing it for the night, so I went thru the following procedures to power down the unit.
Menu - Shutdown - Logout - Power down
The next morning when I came to to my workshop I fired up the RPI2 and opened the OPENCpn (v4.0.0) program to find none of my downloaded charts showing up in the Options - Charts - Chart Files directory.
All my downloaded charts were still in the file folder I created on the RPI2 under my OPENCpn directory so I simply had to copy them back into the Chart Files in OPENCpn then rebuild the database.
The OPENCpn program should not loose it's association with the downloaded charts simply on a normal (or emergency) power down of the RPI2 unit.
My question was whether or not anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, is there a way to correct it.

As always - Thanks for the the assistance.

Regards

Curt
Old 01-10-2015, 10:33   #24

Curt...
OK then just close OpenCPN properly once with all your correct settings and you should be good next time it is started. In case it just gets killed by the OS during the complete system shutdown, your settings may not be saved.

Pavel

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: