Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 07:14   #1

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
OpenCPN on Raspberry Pi Problem...

I just started using a Raspberry Pi and have the 4.6.1 version of OpenCPN on it.

I'm happy with the Pi and OpenCPN on it except for one feature that doesn't seem to be working.

When I pull up the 'right click' menu on the Pi on a raster chart it doesn't show the 'Max Detail Here' option as shown above. It is missing.

I think I had the same problem once with OpenCPN running on a Windows computer but can't remember how I fixed it.

Thanks for any help,

Sumner
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 18:04   #2

Re: OpenCPN on Raspberry Pi Problem...

Does anyone running OpenCPN on a Pi see the 'Max Detail Here' option on the 'Right Click' menu?

Sumner
Old 27-05-2017, 19:57   #3

4.6.1 on a rpi3, nope it's not there
vapochilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 01:10   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

4.6.1 on Windows 10 - not here either. Evidently a lost feature on this version of OCPN.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 08:31   #5

Update:

Yesterday I used 'Create Route (Ctrl-R) to chart a course. Once I did that the 'Max Detail Here' option started to show up on the 'Right Click' menu and worked and continues to work.

Not sure why you have to do this but now it is working. Thanks for the responses and hope this is a fix for the rest of you,

Sumner
Old 28-05-2017, 16:07   #6

I don't think I've ever seen Max Detail Here on Pi or Windows 4.4 or 4.6. Interesting one.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 18:25   #7

Boat: Amel Sharki

Guys,
do you ever read the manual?
"Mac Detail Here" is only available for raster charts and the manual says: "Displays the largest scale, most detailed chart, available in the position of the cursor.
It is assumed that there are more than one chart available at the position."
So if there is not a more detailed raster chart available for that area then there is no such menu item.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Guys,
do you ever read the manual?
"Mac Detail Here" is only available for raster charts and the manual says: "Displays the largest scale, most detailed chart, available in the position of the cursor.
It is assumed that there are more than one chart available at the position."
So if there is not a more detailed raster chart available for that area then there is no such menu item.

Gerhard
Yep, I was aware of that and only tried using it with the raster charts, not the ENC charts. Never worked on the raster charts until I plotted a course for some reason. This was a totally new install on the Pi which is running a version of Linux, so is the Linux version of OpenCPN.

I've used OpenCPN for some time now on Windows computers and used it exclusively on my 1300 mile trip to the Bahamas and back with the MacGregor using NV charts.

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...Main-Menu.html

Love it and have it on a number of computers as backup. I think I'm really going to like it on the Raspberry Pi since it has a lot lower amperage draw than what I've been using. Cost about $200 for a 10" screen, Raspberry Pi computer ($35), keyboard and mouse and other incidentals. 10" chartplotter for $200 is not bad. Wish I could find a good outdoor monitor though.

I have a Standard Horizon 700 I'll use in the cockpit and have the Pi below for backup and course plotting. They are tied together with serial cables and I can send waypoints from OpenCPN to the Standard Horizon or if it failed to a handheld in the cockpit, which is what I've done in the past with the Mac, although the Mac is small enough I ...

Computer-Chartplotter Build Page-2

... have the monitor below right at the companion way where I can see it,

Sumner
Old 29-05-2017, 06:38   #9

I have made some tests of OpenCPN 4.6.1 on a Win 10 computer. The "Max Detail Here" line is displayed in the right-click (with pointer over chart canvas) menu if Quilting is disabled. The "Max Detail Here" is not displayed in the right-click menu if Quilting is disabled. The type of chart (raster, S57 or CM93) displayed on the chart canvas when right-clicking does not make any difference concerning the "Max Detail Here" being included or not being included in the menu box.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 07:32   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Paul. View Post
I have made some tests of OpenCPN 4.6.1 on a Win 10 computer. The "Max Detail Here" line is displayed in the right-click (with pointer over chart canvas) menu if Quilting is disabled. The "Max Detail Here" is not displayed in the right-click menu if Quilting is disabled. The type of chart (raster, S57 or CM93) displayed on the chart canvas when right-clicking does not make any difference concerning the "Max Detail Here" being included or not being included in the menu box.

Paul
Yay! Thanks, that's actually really handy when using google earth images with an "overview" image and zoomed in detail images. Works on android as well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 09:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Folks....

re:
"The "Max Detail Here" line is displayed in the right-click (with pointer over chart canvas) menu if Quilting is disabled."

That is exactly right.

"Max Detail" in the OCPN context means "the largest scale chart available at a certain location".

However, the notion of "Max Detail" does not really make sense for a quilted view, since he automatically selects charts based on the view scale. If you need more detail, then just zoom in.

And, as always, beware of depending upon exact feature locations and ship position in high overzoom.

Hope this helps.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn