Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 12:05   #1

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified
OpenCPN on nonrooted Android tablet

I have OpenCPN installed and running on a Toshiba AT300SE. I installed Debian NoRoot app from the Play Store, updated Debian ota per apps instructions. I compilednOpenCPN from source according to directions found here-http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193
ENC and RNC charts are installed and viewable with no lockups. I installed Turbo GPS2 to be able to use the built-in GPS. I haven't used on the boat yet.
LeoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 10:14   #2

Re: OpenCPN on nonrooted Android tablet

I've been playing with it some more this morning and haven't been able to make it freeze or lock up. Scrolling around in RNC and ENC charts seems to be about the same, a little slower than a native Android chartplotter. I have been using MX Mariner and Navionics in Android. I am having to navigate with the touchscreen only and it works well enough. I am charging my bluetooth keyboard to try it. I imported some routes and and waypoints in a .gpx file and can access and activate them without issues. This seems like a lot easier way to run linux on android than trying to root the tablet and running linux in a chroot environment. This seems to work as if it is just another Android app.
Old 22-11-2014, 10:56   #3

Okay, so how do I put photos in the post?
Old 22-11-2014, 11:13   #4

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
Okay, so how do I put photos in the post?
click the paper clip in the "post" dialogue. Each Browse(on your computer) is one file.The file size limit is shown in the bottom of the dialogue ie:400kb and 1600pixels each side for a jpeg. once selected, use Upload button....wait awhile as they do get uploaded and then select them from the Paperclip as you need them in your post I recommend irfanview's "save for web" to compress large images .

Quite an interesting post by the way! I'm listening. Going to try it on this lenovo I have...Carry on
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 14:37   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141122_113532667_HDR.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	92185
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141122_113431805_HDR.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	92186

The link to app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.cuntubuntu

I still haven't been able to make this installation lockup. It updates and installs software through Debians Wheezy repositories. I'm trying to get it to recognize and connect to an ipazzport bluetooth keyboard/mousepad but have had no success with that yet.
Old 22-11-2014, 15:20   #6

Boat: Sailboat

cool, I have to try this, digging out my nexus 7 as of typing...........
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:30   #7

For anyone interested in knowing more about what's behind this application see: PRoot ? chroot, mount --bind, and binfmt_misc without privilege/setup

You should take note of three important limitations before committing to a download and install of this application. First, the application once installed cannot be removed and then reinstalled supposedly due to an android "bug". Second, depending on your device configuration, being limited to an installation on internal space may present problems if you install many additional files and programs - over and above the minimal install - from the linux repositories. The author's Google Play download page provides no information regarding the performance of file operations between the android and linux file systems, such as copying, renaming, deleting and creating files. Hopefully the OP will report in more detail on what cannot be done.

If I'm convinced this approach is on par functionally with that of a rooted device, I'll edit my instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage to recommend it.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 11:34   #8

I was able to get my bluetooth keyboard/mouse paired with my tablet in Android. After starting Debian and OPCN, the keyboard worked without further configuration. It is somewhat easier and smoother to navigate the screen with the mouse than it is pushing the small curser around with my finger.
I use the TurboGPS2 app and set up a NMEA server as OCPN did not connect to the internal GPS without it.
The Debian file system is not accessible from Android file managers from what I can tell with an unrooted tablet. It is possible you maybe can access them with root, I have no idea. The android user files can be accessed from within the Debian app. I downloaded the chart files from NOAA website using a browser in Android, then copied them to the Debian file system while running Debian.
My tablet reports that the Debian app uses 2.17 GB of space on my internal drive. I installed the app, then installed all of the OpenCPN dependencies and files required to compile OpenCPN per the instructions here: http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193
I did install files that I thought would be needed to use bluetooth, but I don't think that they were necessary.
I have no external sdcard on this tablet to test, but there is an option to choose where you want to store data files.

I am not associated with this app, other than I found it while searching for a way to run OpenCPN on an unrooted device. I will be happy to answer what questions that I can about it if they are not too technical. I consider myself to be a computer tinkerer at best. I found the developers page on Github. This may help some of you more technical minded people to see how this works.
https://github.com/pelya/cuntubuntu
Old 23-11-2014, 13:27   #9

NoRootOpenCPN

Quote:
I was able to get my bluetooth keyboard/mouse paired with my tablet in Android.
Did the bluetooth gps work in OpenCPN?

Quote:
After starting Debian and OPCN, the keyboard worked without further configuration. It is somewhat easier and smoother to navigate the screen with the mouse than it is pushing the small curser around with my finger.
Q: Are you able to scroll charts and is pinch and zoom functional?

Quote:
I use the TurboGPS2 app and set up a NMEA server as OCPN did not connect to the internal GPS without it.
Q: Does the internal gps work in OpenCPN without intermittant disconnects?

Quote:
The Debian file system is not accessible from Android file managers from what I can tell with an unrooted tablet. It is possible you maybe can access them with root, I have no idea.
Q/Comment: I find it is infinitely easier to manage file operations using an android file manager than linux file managers on the linux Desktop. I suspect as yet to be revealed restrictive file permissions on the android side may defeat some file operations users want to perform from within the linux file manager. Also, there may be some commands reserved for a root operator executed from within a linux console (terminal) that fail. Can one even login as root to perform these operations? Not sure what limitations a 'fakeroot' will impose on root commands...

Quote:
The android user files can be accessed from within the Debian app. I downloaded the chart files from NOAA website using a browser in Android, then copied them to the Debian file system while running Debian.
Comment: As long as users don't mind relying on a linux file manager with possible limitations respecting permissions and ease of use, absence of a capability to manage files in the linux system with an android file manager does not necessarily disqualify a no-root application as one means for using OpenCPN on androids. Not my choice however.

Quote:
My tablet reports that the Debian app uses 2.17 GB of space on my internal drive. I have no external sdcard on this tablet to test, but there is an option to choose where you want to store data files.
Q: Does the 2.17 GB include OpenCPN and installed charts? A full installation of CM93 charts will consume another 1 GB +. Then there's zyGrib and other linux programs you may wish to use. I've found that the 4095 MB limit imposed on fat formatted cards is always requiring I delete 'source files from 'Downloads', - including OpenCPN - due to a scarcity of space. An ability to install linux on an external card (sdcard1) formatted in the linux filesystem is a real advantage. You are limited only to the maximum size of the card... Only doable with a rooted device. And then providing a method for automatically mounting the sdcard1 upon boot requires access to the android system files. Only doable in a rooted device. What are your storage choices?

Quote:
I am not associated with this app, other than I found it while searching for a way to run OpenCPN on an unrooted device.
Happy to see someone doing this. I came accross either the same or a similar app many months ago and in my thread located in another Cruising Forum for anarchists encouraged someone, anyone to give it a try. No takers that I'm aware of.

Quote:
I will be happy to answer what questions that I can about it if they are not too technical. I consider myself to be a computer tinkerer at best. I found the developers page on Github. This may help some of you more technical minded people to see how this works.
https://github.com/pelya/cuntubuntu
Hopefully your effort will provide another possible avenue for 'root adverse' users to have OpenCPN running on their androids.
Old 23-11-2014, 16:40   #10

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
The Debian file system is not accessible from Android file managers from what I can tell with an unrooted tablet. It is possible you maybe can access them with root, I have no idea. The android user files can be accessed from within the Debian app. I downloaded the chart files from NOAA website using a browser in Android, then copied them to the Debian file system while running Debian.
Good to do experimenting. The issues I see are:
1. Takes 600MB of disk space!?!
2. Still not native (there is a debian file system)

Does opengl work? Is the rendering faster? What sort of log file do you get?

Compared to the 9MB or so apk android installer file built when compiling opencpn for android natively (rather than running linux at all). It would be very interesting to compare the rendering speed, pm me and I can send you an alpha android opencpn.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:43   #11

Quote:
Did the bluetooth gps work in OpenCPN?
I have no bluetooth gps, the onboard gps works in OpenCPN without further configuration in Debian app once it is activated in Android. I did install GPS over BT into my Android phone and was able to connect to it with my Toshiba tablet by using the app, Bluetooth GPS, from the app store. MX Mariner app in android was able to use the data from the bluetooth setup, but I didn't spend enough time with it to figure how to use the data in OpenCPN.

Quote:
Q:Are you able to scroll charts and is pinch and zoom functional?
Scrolling charts with finger on touchscreen is pretty flaky, but using the scroll buttons on the bluetooth keyboard works pretty smooth on both raster and vector charts. Pinch and zoom with 2 fingers is very acceptable to me with both vector and raster charts.

Quote:
Q: Does the internal gps work in OpenCPN without intermittant disconnects?
The internal gps had intermittent disconnects for the first 5 minutes or so, then it seemed to hold the sats steady for a couple of hours that I had it on.

Sudo doesn't work in regular terminal in Debian, but there is a root terminal that allows you to install and update software.

The 2.17g includes the Debian OS and installed software and also the data(chart)files.
I've only gotten the charts for the northern Gulf of Mexico off of the Mississippi Coast installed at this time.
There is an option available to specify where data files are saved, but I have no sdcard option so I can't test to see if charts can be saved on ext. sdcard.

OpenGL is not available. Raster and vector charts are rendered as well or better than MxMariner does with raster only.
Old 24-11-2014, 08:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Good to do experimenting. The issues I see are:
1. Takes 600MB of disk space!?!
Available disk space is an important consideration with an application like the Debian NoRoot app where installation is limited to the internal 'sdcard'. Moreso on android devices with 16 GB or less total space than those having 32 GB or more. However, 600 MB poses more of a constraint on using linux for development purposes and running linux programs - in addition to OpenCPN - than in reducing space available for the android system and applications. Better yet if the linux installation uses the maximum 4095 MB possible in a FAT format. Much better if a device is rooted with an external sdcard that permits installing linux in a native linux format. The first partition on this card must be FAT32, but can be sized to facillitate expansion of space available for the purpose of backing up files and freeing space on the internal sdcard. The advantage of having the remaining available space for linux is clear.

Quote:
2. Still not native (there is a debian file system)
Running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment is an attractive choice for users who have experience using linux on their P.C.s, and want the ability to perform development and run their favourite programs on an android. These users will not see linux as an unneccessary 'extra' step and waste of space. For others who have no interest in linux as a development platform and running useful linux programs other than OpenCPN, an OpenCPN.apk makes more sense.

Quote:
Does opengl work? Is the rendering faster? What sort of log file do you get?
My position in regard to OpenGL in OpenCPN is that it is unneccessary insofar as rendering speed is concerned. OpenCPN is not a game. As long as there is a choice to enable OpenGL or leave it inactive OpenCPN running in linux on an android will be possible. Otherwise?

Quote:
Compared to the 9MB or so apk android installer file built when compiling opencpn for android natively (rather than running linux at all). It would be very interesting to compare the rendering speed, pm me and I can send you an alpha android opencpn.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:55   #13

Boat: 29'

Quote:
There is an option available to specify where data files are saved, but I have no sdcard option so I can't test to see if charts can be saved on ext. sdcard.
I managed to install it in its rudimentary form on my older A3107A "Ideatab" Lenovo tablet but have not been able to access the "external" sd card (SDA2) with it yet. I expected to see it in one of the "linuxian "mnt" folders or even in the Android system's mnt folder (which the Debian CAN browse) ....
I won't get so far as you with it. Switching from stabbing things with a finger to a tiny mouse cursor and terminal windows on a 7" screen is not useful to me in any practical way.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 11:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
I managed to install it in its rudimentary form on my older A3107A "Ideatab" Lenovo tablet but have not been able to access the "external" sd card (SDA2) with it yet. I expected to see it in one of the "linuxian "mnt" folders or even in the Android system's mnt folder (which the Debian CAN browse) ....
I won't get so far as you with it. Switching from stabbing things with a finger to a tiny mouse cursor and terminal windows on a 7" screen is not useful to me in any practical way.
Recommended screen size is 10"+.

Is 'SDA2' the identification of the external card in your android system.? Sounds more like a term used in linux. Typically the external card in android is referred to as 'extsdcard' or sdcard1. In the case of an external card formatted with a linux filesystem the first partition (FAT32) is sdcard1 and the second, linux partition is /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real.

My understanding is the NoRoot application offers a choice of locations for storing data. What are they? It may be an external sdcard is not accessible by anything but linux running in a chroot environment.
Old 24-11-2014, 13:41   #15

Quote:
My understanding is the NoRoot application offers a choice of locations for storing data. What are they?
The choices are: Internal storage and SD card storage, which both indicate the same amount of free space, so are the same. The 3rd option available is to Specify directory and gives the option to manually input the path to directory. My tablet is damaged and I can not install an external sd card, so I can't say if it would be possible to select one.

Tags
enc, opencpn