Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-11-2014, 10:34   #16

Re: OpenCPN on nonrooted Android tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoA View Post
The choices are: Internal storage and SD card storage, which both indicate the same amount of free space, so are the same. The 3rd option available is to Specify directory and gives the option to manually input the path to directory. My tablet is damaged and I can not install an external sd card, so I can't say if it would be possible to select one.
Until an opencpn.apk is available the NoRoot application appears to offer a possible alternative to using my approach found here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage However, the installation provides only 600 MB of space in which to install the linux system and programs. This imposes a significant obstacle to users wanting to use OpenCPN with a full install of charts plus other programs like zyGrib. Even with the maximum allowable 4095 MB space possible in a FAT file format, I run up against space limitations. But then, I do a lot of compiling and installations from source in order to use programs like LibreCad - a free linux CAD drafting program - and a collection of utility programs or 'goodies'. Some libraries can take as many as 24 hours to compile, so there is a desire to retain the compiled sources following installation. These are sometimes required in order to perform a clean 'uninstall' which cannot be done once removed. So... This limitation applies only to my installation on the internal sdcard and not /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real which is the external card formatted in the second partion with the linux filesystem.

Hopefully, your's and others experience trying the NoRoot application will provide a basis for deciding whether or not people wanting to limit usage to running OpenCPN on their androids with NoRoot is a worthwhile approach.

Until such time as a working opencpn.apk is available, the NoRoot app can serve in as a stopgap measure for users who do not want to root their device and enjoy a full linux installation for the purpose of development and running other linux programs.

Old 25-11-2014, 12:31   #17

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Recommended screen size is 10"+.

Is 'SDA2' the identification of the external card in your android system.? Sounds more like a term used in linux. Typically the external card in android is referred to as 'extsdcard' or sdcard1. In the case of an external card formatted with a linux filesystem the first partition (FAT32) is sdcard1 and the second, linux partition is /mnt/fuse/sdcard1_real.

My understanding is the NoRoot application offers a choice of locations for storing data. What are they? It may be an external sdcard is not accessible by anything but linux running in a chroot environment.
You are correct. sdcard2 is the external micro sd card as identified in my Android (4.2)system by the android app "ESFileBrowser"
For whatever reason, I was unable to see it or access it from this Debian environment....but Wrong, your post may indicate some possible "solutions" as in the format of the card itself.
I applaud LeoA (You have been very clear in your useful comments!)for taking this up, and hope that others try.

Old 25-11-2014, 12:49   #18

Boat: 37' TransPac Trawler, heavily modified

Quote:
However, the installation provides only 600 MB of space in which to install the linux system and programs
The 600 MB of space is what the app requires for the minimal initial install of Debian. My installation has grown to 2.17 GB of space, which includes OpenCPN, chart files and all of the libraries and programs needed for OpenCPN's dependencies and libraries and programs required to compile Opencpn. From what I can tell, the space used by the app will increase as programs and dependencies are installed. I don't see anywhere that there is an upper limit to the space that the app will use. I have 4.5GB still available on my 16GB tablet.
Old 25-11-2014, 13:19   #19

Quote:
The 600 MB of space is what the app requires for the minimal initial install of Debian. My installation has grown to 2.17 GB of space, which includes OpenCPN, chart files and all of the libraries and programs needed for OpenCPN's dependencies and libraries and programs required to compile Opencpn. From what I can tell, the space used by the app will increase as programs and dependencies are installed. I don't see anywhere that there is an upper limit to the space that the app will use. I have 4.5GB still available on my 16GB tablet.
Thanks for the clarification. I wonder what happens when the space used approaches the 4095 MB limit for a FAT file system? Unlikely to occur though if the app is only used to enable running OpenCPN... It may still require judicious attention to how many charts are installed. Have you installed zyGrib? May be available from repositories using apt-get. You'll probably need to launch zyGrib with 'zyGrib --graphicssystem native'

Please keep us informed as you learn more about the application.
Old 27-11-2014, 11:37   #20

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

Until such time as a working opencpn.apk is available, the NoRoot app can serve in as a stopgap measure for users who do not want to root their device and enjoy a full linux installation for the purpose of development and running other linux programs.
I installed this Debian-NoRoot app on my Nexus-7 (2013) and compiled the latest OpenCPN from GIT, using wxwidgets 2.8 with OpenGL/Mesa libraries. I use a USB mouse&keyboard connected via an OTG cable to the Nexus.

The internal Nexus GPS serves NMEA via the "GPS Share Wifi" app and I am feeding AIS data from the internet.

Enabling OpenGL in OpenCPN does not seem to accelerate things, but it doesn't crash either.

I like this method much better than when I tried to install Linux via Linux-Deploy on a rooted Nexus-7 and then had to connect via VNC to the Linux X-server.

It is usable, but panning is really slow.

Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus-7-OpenCPN-NonRoot-screenshot.png
Views:	100
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	92425  
Old 27-11-2014, 15:21   #21

Dirk, you may can tweak and speed up the panning by going into the apps configuration. You access it on the first screen when the app is starting up, button at top of screen
Old 27-11-2014, 18:17   #22

Boat: bristol 27

Obviously it's slow with mesa software rendering. Can you get any programs to work with hardware acceleration? Maybe you just need to compile glshim.
Old 27-11-2014, 18:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
..Maybe you just need to compile glshim.
I looked at the instructions (yours?) for the cubieboard at Building and installing on Cubieboard 2 with HW acceleration | Official OpenCPN Homepage

some day...maybe.. or I wait for a native apk ;-)

Dirk
Old 28-11-2014, 10:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
I installed this Debian-NoRoot app on my Nexus-7 (2013) and compiled the latest OpenCPN from GIT, using wxwidgets 2.8 with OpenGL/Mesa libraries. I use a USB mouse&keyboard connected via an OTG cable to the Nexus.

The internal Nexus GPS serves NMEA via the "GPS Share Wifi" app and I am feeding AIS data from the internet.

Enabling OpenGL in OpenCPN does not seem to accelerate things, but it doesn't crash either.

I like this method much better than when I tried to install Linux via Linux-Deploy on a rooted Nexus-7 and then had to connect via VNC to the Linux X-server.

It is usable, but panning is really slow.

Dirk
My experience even before OpenGL is enabled in recent releases of OpenCPN is ownship does not display unless the vector option is selected in settings. Then you have an image of a 'ship', not a boat. With OpenGL enabled at least some text did not display. I can't say what other problems may exist beyond these issues because that was enough for me to go back to 3.3.1618.

When returning to 3.3.1618 the ownship still failed to display until such time as I'd renamed the 'old' /android/.opencpn to /android/.opencpn.bak and created a new one upon launch of OpenCPN_3.3.1618. Doing this when installing a recent version made no difference. The default ownship still would not display, even /home/android/.opencpn/UserIcons/iimage_name was created.

I recommend you closely compare what is and is not displayed before and after OpenGL is enabled.
Old 28-11-2014, 12:49   #25

Wrong

Interesting! Yesterday I had the ownship, with opengl disabled, for sure. Today it is (was) gone. I have been playing with Sean's glshim, libgles1 libgles2, libEGL... I have been to dependency-hell and back, I thought. I went back to use simple mesa-swx11 and opencpn worked, but then it didn't show the ownship icon when opengl was disabled.

After purging the system from anything libgles* and libEGL, and cleanly recompiling opencpn, the ownship icon is back, even without opengl enabled.

Dirk
Old 28-11-2014, 13:01   #26

Quote:
Wrong

Interesting! Yesterday I had the ownship, with opengl disabled, for sure. Today it is (was) gone. I have been playing with Sean's glshim, libgles1 libgles2, libEGL... I have been to dependency-hell and back, I thought. I went back to use simple mesa-swx11 and opencpn worked, but then it didn't show the ownship icon when opengl was disabled.

After purging the system from anything libgles* and libEGL, and cleanly recompiling opencpn, the ownship icon is back, even without opengl enabled.

Dirk
If you enable OpenGL in 3.3.1618 the ownship will probably display UNTIL YOU DISABLE OpenGL, then it won't...

Frankly, I don't see any improvements that justify enabling OpenCPN on android running in linux, rooted or not.
Old 28-11-2014, 19:03   #27

I cleared cache and cleared data in Androids App setting. This gave me a fresh and clean installation of the debian app. After debian loaded the minimal system, I followed boat_alexandra's guide, http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/299 for compiling OCPN with HW accel on cubieboard. I got everything installed and running but still no HW Accel. I saved about 700 MB of space on my internal storage doing it this way. 1.44GB compared to 2.17GB on my previous installation. This includes my chart file.

The external sd card is accessible, read and write, for data in the debian layer as long as it is mounted before booting into debian
Old 28-11-2014, 19:54   #28

Quote:
...but still no HW Accel.....

the xserver-xsdl used with noroot-debian won't support hw accel anytime soon:

https://github.com/pelya/cuntubuntu

Quote:
No OpenGL support. It's possible to add it but it's a huge chunk of work, and I will not be doing that.
Took me all day to figure that out....

Still, this is much better than the old way: Rooting the nexus-7 to install some linux distribution and then connecting via android-vnc to the vncserver running on linux. This is much more seamless, almost usable.

Dirk
Old 29-11-2014, 09:13   #29

Quote:
the xserver-xsdl used with noroot-debian won't support hw accel anytime soon:

https://github.com/pelya/cuntubuntu

Took me all day to figure that out....
Quote:
Still, this is much better than the old way: Rooting the nexus-7 to install some linux distribution and then connecting via android-vnc to the vncserver running on linux. This is much more seamless, almost usable.

Dirk
It's great having more than one way to approach the task of getting OpenCPN to run on androids, and each provides a level of benefit that will appeal to different users. For those who wish to experience the ease of file management using android applications, have a choice of linux distributions, the capability of installing linux, OpenCPN and other linux programs on an external SDcard - as well as using linux for the purpose of development, the 'old way' as you call it will be the preferred method. Assuming the application presents no as yet to discover issues, others who want nothing more than the ability to run OpenCPN on their device will choose 'the other' way. Your apparent preferred method using the NoRoot or similar application.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:56   #30

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

My kingdom, for an OCPN.apk!

Well to be honest, it isn't much of a kingdom, but you know what I mean.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: