Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 16:31   #1

OpenCPN on Android Tablet

Any furter developments on this. A techy cruiser told me I could use a wifi device to "'transmit'' OpenCPN running on my laptop to my android device. I purchased Voyager AIR mobile wireless storage as he advised but now we have lost contact and I dont know how to set this up???:
jaramanpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 11:36   #2

Re: openCPN on Android tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramanpotter View Post
Any furter developments on this. A techy cruiser told me I could use a wifi device to "'transmit'' OpenCPN running on my laptop to my android device. I purchased Voyager AIR mobile wireless storage as he advised but now we have lost contact and I dont know how to set this up???:
Lots of discussion in this forum about this, but not necessarily using Voyager Air. Use the search engine to find it. In case you are unaware OpenCPN can be run on android devices in a linux 'chroot' environment running alongside android. Check out the 'how to' here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 15:02   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I've used TeamView to access my laptop from Android tablet. Easy to use, good performance, free for non-commercial use.

Don't know your tech background, but I would guess that if you are struggling to set up a remote access uility that setting up Linux under Android may be more of a challenge than you want...definately for the technically inclined.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I've used TeamView to access my laptop from Android tablet. Easy to use, good performance, free for non-commercial use.

Don't know your tech background, but I would guess that if you are struggling to set up a remote access uility that setting up Linux under Android may be more of a challenge than you want...definately for the technically inclined.
Your viewpoint is pretty typical regarding the complexity of using a freely available, simple to use android application to install linux on an android device. Anyone capable of reading, comprehending and following written instructions can:

1.) Unlock and root their device.
2.) Use the recommended android application called Linux Deploy to install linux.
3.) Copy and paste linux commands from instructions found here to install OpenCPN: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
4. Use Linux Installer to mount the linux partitions and connect a vnc viewer, which by the way is what 'Team Viewer is.
5. Launch OpenCPN from the Linux Desktop viewable with the vnc viewer.
6. Do what anyone using OpenCPN must do, whether installed on a MAC or PC running Windows or Linux. Finish telling OpenCPN where to find charts, and enable other options you want active in OpenCPN.

Unless someone has actually tried, their viewpoint is based on nothing more than a suspicion of complexity, not knowledge of the process involved.
Old 18-08-2014, 11:24   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Linux on Android? Done that. Wasn't easy, but I am not very well educated on more technical aspects of computing. I'm just your average computer guy, and I think any other average computer guy can do this. It was a little frustrating but when I finally got it going, it ran nicely and I was able to get OCPN running just fine. Don't be scared to try this IF you have a spare Android tablet or a big phone laying around unused. I would be cautious about diddly with my main phone/tablet, for obvious reasons.

The unit I did it with was a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" with 32gb and a 64gb card, full GSM capable, rooted and unlocked. It has an on board GPS that works great with Android navigation apps, but I could not get OCPN/Linux to recognize it. Eventually I got tired of messing with it and went back to my Android apps. Could be someone has figured out how to use the on board GPS by now, but back then I would have to manually enter my position and stuff. Not satisfactory to me.

Unfortunately, there are no Android apps that will work directly with CM93 charts. So if you want to use an Android with CM93, you have to use OCPN, either remoting your laptop with TeamView or similar, or running Linux as already described. There are some otherwise decent apps that can use US waters NOAA charts and some other charts. MX Mariner is popular but I prefer Marine Navigator because I don't have to convert charts for it. It is just easier and more flexible for me. MX Mariner is maybe better, once you have downloaded your charts and set it up for your area, if you usually stay close to home. Switching charts is more seamless with MX.

The ideal solution would be a port to Android of OCPN so it would run natively on android devices, but I don't think that is going to happen. Maybe a Windows tablet? Anyway, sometimes you just gotta make do with what you got.
Old 18-08-2014, 12:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Linux on Android? Done that. Wasn't easy, but I am not very well educated on more technical aspects of computing. I'm just your average computer guy, and I think any other average computer guy can do this. It was a little frustrating but when I finally got it going, it ran nicely and I was able to get OCPN running just fine. Don't be scared to try this IF you have a spare Android tablet or a big phone laying around unused. I would be cautious about diddly with my main phone/tablet, for obvious reasons.

The unit I did it with was a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" with 32gb and a 64gb card, full GSM capable, rooted and unlocked. It has an on board GPS that works great with Android navigation apps, but I could not get OCPN/Linux to recognize it. Eventually I got tired of messing with it and went back to my Android apps. Could be someone has figured out how to use the on board GPS by now, but back then I would have to manually enter my position and stuff. Not satisfactory to me.

Unfortunately, there are no Android apps that will work directly with CM93 charts. So if you want to use an Android with CM93, you have to use OCPN, either remoting your laptop with TeamView or similar, or running Linux as already described. There are some otherwise decent apps that can use US waters NOAA charts and some other charts. MX Mariner is popular but I prefer Marine Navigator because I don't have to convert charts for it. It is just easier and more flexible for me. MX Mariner is maybe better, once you have downloaded your charts and set it up for your area, if you usually stay close to home. Switching charts is more seamless with MX.

The ideal solution would be a port to Android of OCPN so it would run natively on android devices, but I don't think that is going to happen. Maybe a Windows tablet? Anyway, sometimes you just gotta make do with what you got.
GrowleyMonster,

Happy to see you finally gave it a go and successfully got OpenCPN working on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" tablet. As you're probably aware though, the recommended tablet size is 10".

I don't recollect you ever asking for assistance in using any type of GPS with OpenCPN on your android device. If you had, you would have been told how to use a USB, bluetooth or onboard, built-in gps with OpenCPN. Matter of fact, there's a thread telling you how here at Cruisersforum. You should be able to locate the thread with a search of the OpenCPN forum. Alternatively, there's also discussion about using GPS in threads about OpenCPN running on androids. Here and over at C.A..
Old 18-08-2014, 13:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
GrowleyMonster,

Happy to see you finally gave it a go and successfully got OpenCPN working on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" tablet. As you're probably aware though, the recommended tablet size is 10".

I don't recollect you ever asking for assistance in using any type of GPS with OpenCPN on your android device. If you had, you would have been told how to use a USB, bluetooth or onboard, built-in gps with OpenCPN. Matter of fact, there's a thread telling you how here at Cruisersforum. You should be able to locate the thread with a search of the OpenCPN forum. Alternatively, there's also discussion about using GPS in threads about OpenCPN running on androids. Here and over at C.A..
It was a couple years ago when I did that, and nobody yet had a method of using the internal GPS. Good to know it can now be done. I heard when a solution became available for using bluetooth, but for me the whole idea of using the tab was to have a cheap, portable, stand alone chart plotter with very low energy consumption. I didn't want dongles or dangles or blueteeth stuff. I wanted to do everything with the tablet alone, and I could, with the native android apps. So now I can use the built in GPS with Linux and OCPN? Sounds nice. When I have a few days to mess with it I might give it another go. Right now I'm busy re powering the boat.
Old 18-08-2014, 13:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
It was a couple years ago when I did that, and nobody yet had a method of using the internal GPS. Good to know it can now be done. I heard when a solution became available for using bluetooth, but for me the whole idea of using the tab was to have a cheap, portable, stand alone chart plotter with very low energy consumption. I didn't want dongles or dangles or blueteeth stuff. I wanted to do everything with the tablet alone, and I could, with the native android apps. So now I can use the built in GPS with Linux and OCPN? Sounds nice. When I have a few days to mess with it I might give it another go. Right now I'm busy re powering the boat.
Old 19-08-2014, 17:44   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Your viewpoint is pretty typical regarding the complexity of using a freely available, simple to use android application to install linux on an android device. Anyone capable of reading, comprehending and following written instructions can:

1.) Unlock and root their device.
2.) Use the recommended android application called Linux Deploy to install linux.
3.) Copy and paste linux commands from instructions found here to install OpenCPN: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
4. Use Linux Installer to mount the linux partitions and connect a vnc viewer, which by the way is what 'Team Viewer is.
5. Launch OpenCPN from the Linux Desktop viewable with the vnc viewer.
6. Do what anyone using OpenCPN must do, whether installed on a MAC or PC running Windows or Linux. Finish telling OpenCPN where to find charts, and enable other options you want active in OpenCPN.

Unless someone has actually tried, their viewpoint is based on nothing more than a suspicion of complexity, not knowledge of the process involved.
With an MS Degree in CS and over 20 years professional IT experience, including developing operating system level software like device drivers...think I'm a bit beyond "nothing more than a suspicion of complexity", but most non-technical folks I know would run into issues at about step 1 above.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 17:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
With an MS Degree in CS and over 20 years professional IT experience, including developing operating system level software like device drivers...think I'm a bit beyond "nothing more than a suspicion of complexity", but most non-technical folks I know would run into issues at about step 1 above.
I agree, but have enough experience to know provided a person with little or no technical experience follows simple to understand, step by step instructions, they can successfully unlock and root their device. I personally have not heard from someone who has screwed up. And, even if they do, android recoveries such as CWM and TWRP make restoring a system easy. One reason why, is because most if not all developers with methods for unlocking and rooting devices are emphatic in telling users to perform a nandroid backup before proceeding. The worst case scenario is if a user does not make a backup that can be restored through recovery and has damaged the system. This user will need to download and install the O.E.M. R.O.M. from a computer connected to the device with A.D.B..

Rendering a device useless is extremely unlikely.
Old 21-08-2014, 15:57   #11

Boy Oh Boy!!!!! Thats at lot for a retired veterinarian to ingest......I'll try......maybe will get indigestion of the brain.
Old 21-08-2014, 16:31   #12

Quote:
Boy Oh Boy!!!!! Thats at lot for a retired veterinarian to ingest......I'll try......maybe will get indigestion of the brain.
It's not simple, but it's not all THAT hard, either. Don't let the alphabet soup scare you away. I would advise not using your primary android device though, in case like me you have to fuss with it for a couple of days before you get it right. But if you have a spare android tablet or even a big phone and you are looking for something cool to do, go for it.

I have never heard of anyone actually permanently bricking an android or an iPhone by rooting or jailbreaking. Worst case generally you have to restore to the current software version and lose all data, which you should have backed up to your pc anyhow. But it is possible to lose the use of your device for a few days while you get it all straightened out. But more than likely when you hit a snag someone here on the board will be able to walk you through it, and your rooting and your Linux and OCPN install will work just fine. But for me, I have to admit it was frustrating until that joyful moment when I realized I had done it.

In addition to your "official" backup, also manually back up your contacts and stuff in a way that allows you to manually put them back in in case you can't restore automatically from a pc backup. Funny how seldom the backup stuff doesn't actually work all that well. JUST IN CASE.....
Old 21-08-2014, 16:43   #13

I dont have a spare tablet! We are in Fiji and internet is sometimes a bit of an issue. [Althought profoundly better that many Pacific countries, North and South, that we have been in.] I have Marine Navigator installed with GE2KAP charts woking OK.
I am installing Team Viewer as we speak - slow internet means the 12.74MB App is taking forever....
What about the VoyagerAir local device???
If I DID manage to install Linux on the tablet would that affect the other Apps eg the RAYCONTROL??
Old 22-08-2014, 10:27   #14

Quote:
I dont have a spare tablet! We are in Fiji and internet is sometimes a bit of an issue. [Althought profoundly better that many Pacific countries, North and South, that we have been in.] I have Marine Navigator installed with GE2KAP charts woking OK.
I am installing Team Viewer as we speak - slow internet means the 12.74MB App is taking forever....
What about the VoyagerAir local device???
If I DID manage to install Linux on the tablet would that affect the other Apps eg the RAYCONTROL??
Android apps are not affected in any way. You can be using an android nav app at the same time OpenCPN is running in the linux chroot environment. Switch between them whenever you want. Provided you've installed adb on your computer and downloaded the necessary recovery (CWM or TWRP) and in some cases Super Root, actually unlocking and rooting a device only takes a couple of minutes. You can from the get go install a custom ROM, obtained from xda-developers. Clockwork Mod includes 'root' in their ROM, which means installing the ROM also roots your device. So, the steps would be to 1.) Unlock the boot loader, 2.) install TWRP and 3.) install cwm's ROM. Done. Now all you need to do is install linux and OpenCPN per my instructions here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 22-08-2014, 22:00   #15

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Finally I have run opencpn with success under wxqt. This means it can run on any platform supported by qt (which includes android) natively. I don't have an android tablet to verify this.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn