Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2013, 10:42   #1

OpenCPN not sending NMEA autopilot sentences.

Short version - OpenCPN not generating autopilot commands ($PG or $EC for APB/XTE/RMC/GLL etc. info).

I've been using, and upgrading, OpenCPN since the early days (release 1.2?). My system works well, drives the autopilot etc. I'm away in Mexico so I'm still using 3.02 for now.

Some friends were having a lot of BSOD crashes on Win 7 with Nobeltec so I suggested installing OpenCPN. They downloaded 3.2 and I helped them configure and get it working on Win 7.

We have it seeing charts, locating with a puck GPS on one USB port, receiving and displaying AIS info and echoing lat/lon and SOG/COG back to the AIS/VHF combo on a second USB port, altogether much better than they had with Nobeltec. We also are getting Mag HDG on the dashboard plugin, I assume from the AP, on the same USB port but a different COM port to the AIS. This port is configured as the AP (output) port and has the correct Raymarine ST6002 sentences in the "include" box. This USB goes to a hub which seems to work OK.

When I look at the datastream, I see $GP, $AI and $APHDG coming in and $GP echoing out to the AIS as selected, but no $EC (or $PG as I get from mine) anywhere. AP says "no data" on track.

I'd like to fix this for them, and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong so I can get 3.2 running for myself too.

Even more odd, I also uninstalled 3.2 and tried with a new install of 3.02 with the same result, so I'm even more confused. Is it possible this is something I got working with an earlier version, and continuous upgrading has preserved a switch or something?

Any help appreciated, apologies for the alphabet soup.

Thanks
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN not sending NMEA autopilot sentences.

Islander....

Just to confirm your observation:

On Version 3.2.0:

1. Please remember that autopilot sentences are generated only when an OpenCPN route is active.
2. Does OpenCPN NMEA debug window show ECRMB, ECRMC, ECAPB, when enabled for the correct output port?? Maybe you could post a screen shot.

On 3.0.2, it may help to start over with a clean config (opencpn.ini) file.

Thanks for evangelizing OCPN in Mexico
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 18:48   #3

Hi Dave

1. Tried with several routes, from simple "go to here" to more complex (multiple waypoints).

2. Debug window shows NMEA sentences from GPS, AIS and autopilot (Mag HDG from the fluxgate) but no $EC. As I mentioned in the other thread, my friends have moved on but I'll email instructions to them to get a screenshot and send it to me.

My 3.0.2 is working fine, couldn't get it to work for them, though? Does unistalling 3.2.0 not remove the .ini file, never thought of that.

It's an easy product to evangelize, my friends were blown away by the speed and ease of use.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 09:18   #4

Boat: SUN ODYSSEY 40

I know it was an hold post but there is no answer and no resolve ? I have exactly the same problem using Ocpn 3.3.1606

I have an active route with some waypoints.
Output is configured on port COM11 for this sentence : RMB, RMC, ECAPB

Ocpn display these output sentence (ECRMB, ECRMC and ECAPB) but when I trace the port Com11 with PolarCom or HyperTerminal I never see these sentence $EC...

Screenshot of this problem is in attachment.

I tried to start Ocpn with a new config file (opencpn.ini) but the problem is the same !

Please any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nmea_error.gif
Views:	400
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	79364  
edelvoilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

Edelvoilier...

Welcome.

Thanks for the screen shots.

I assume the window on the left is COM11 Input, captured by some tool. What tool?

If you are sending the $EC... strings out by OCPN on COM11, they will not appear in the captured COM11 input stream. They should appear on the COM11 transmit wire, though. You will have no way to monitor this wire except by physically connecting it to another PC input port. Is this COM11 port split, so that the input comes into OCPN, and the output is hardwired to the Autopilot input?

Dave
Old 16-04-2014, 03:04   #6

Boat: SUN ODYSSEY 40

Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I assume the window on the left is COM11 Input, captured by some tool. What tool?
I used the NMEA Console from the software PolarView

Quote:
Is this COM11 port split
Com11 is a virtual port (created with virtual Serial Port Emulator)

On board all instruments are connected to a multiplexer Schipmodul (convert NMEA0183<>Seatalk).
This one is connected to my PC with USB connexion and then sentences --RMB --RMC and ECAPB are send to the Raymarine Autopilot (ST1000+).
My tiller pilot is connected to be used with NMEA0183 and Seatalk.

Thanks for your help
edelvoilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 07:02   #7
Marine Service Provider

I'm not very familiar with VSPE, but I can't see how writing to the VSPE port COM11 will physically send the data out of your PC. I also doubt that the ECAPB strings will also appear as part of the COM11 input stream. But i suppose it depends on how the VSPE port is configured. More info?

I wonder if you need another VSPE port (COM12) to take the $ECAPB string, and somehow multiplex that into the PC output.

I will try some experiments.

Dave

Tags
autopilot, nmea, opencpn